ABS problem now a Throttle/ECU fault?

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
Ok having a little bit of a problem.

When I drive I'm getting the ABS sound from the left side. This is whilst accelerating.

When I press the brake, it does it even more, and the ABS really kick in even making the brake pedal jerky.

There is no snow or ice outside. infact road is even dry.

what's going on? ABS sensor?? if so where is it located? etc

Last edited:

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
I just scanned ABS system and got the code 00285. Searched and came up as a ABS sensor.

Does the code tell me which side it is as well?
Personally I'm thinking left side (my drivers side)

Sandy1985

Apr 3, 2007
Take the wheel off and inspect the abs cable, you will probably find it has worn away and the copper is exposed.. I fixed mine recently, you need to make sure you get a good strong watertight connection.. 99% sure this is your problem mate

Sandy1985

Apr 3, 2007
Hmm aye must be the sensor then... Although when I've had sensors go the abs isn't always on... Did you check the full length of cable? Also when I vagcom'd mine it said "front right abs
Signal intermittent" or something like that, you can remove the abs fuse in the meantime to stop the abs comming on all the time when driving,

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
Hmm aye must be the sensor then... Although when I've had sensors go the abs isn't always on... Did you check the full length of cable? Also when I vagcom'd mine it said "front right abs
Signal intermittent" or something like that, you can remove the abs fuse in the meantime to stop the abs comming on all the time when driving,

00285 is the front right ABS sensor. Could be going off because its dirty or thinks its slipping all the time because its broken.

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
00285 is the front right ABS sensor. Could be going off because its dirty or thinks its slipping all the time because its broken.

alright cheers both of you.

Strange that you say its the right side though, as it truly sounds like its coming from the left.
Would it have anything to do with the fact that your drivers side is opposite to mine?

The left one looks fine, right I didn't check as it started pouring..

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
Hmm really want to turn the ABS off. Its on constantly whether accelerating or braking. Furthermore when releasing accelerating pedal the car jerks.

found this in the fuse sticky:

Fuse Box in the engine compartment on the battery:

Radiator Fan, 1st gear 30
ABS engine relay 30
ABS main relay 30

Now I know the 30 amp fuses are green, but which of those 2 do I pull? The engine relay or the main relay? or both?

Plus, are you guys sure that code 00285 is for the front right for all these cars, or just right handed UK cars?

Anyone know a partnumber to the abs sensor as well? Will take wheel off later today on the right to see if wiring is buggered. If not I'll have to place a new sensor

cheers

Sandy1985

Apr 3, 2007
not sure about which side mate, try ross-wiki, you just put the code in there and it should tell you.. http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/00285 .. as for the fuse, i pulled the one under the steering wheel, when you remove the big plastic bit there should be a diagram showing which fuse is which mine says (ABS) - 18 or something like that.. the diagram shows exactly where it is so you cantt go wrong.. the hand brake warning light will flash, and the abs light will come on aswell.. hope this helps

cheers

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
oh right. I thought fuse 18 was really only for the light on the dash itself.

cheers.

will do that and have a look at the other side.

thanks for your help

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
cheers guys.

took out the 18th fuse and ABS light and TCS light came on. then handbrake started flashing along with the horribly annoying bleep it does with it.
But it did turn off the ABS so drives much nicer now.

I'll have to see about the sensor in the morning as its practically dark now plus its raining.

thanks for the input guys

Sandy1985

Apr 3, 2007
luckily it only beeps 3 times then its bliss, apart from the HB light flashing... but much better than ABS coming on constant. i wish there was a way to turn the volume down for the beeps.

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
Ok little update

I jacked up the car on the right side today and found that the ABS cable was cut into by the tyre. I probably didn;t re-attach the cable properly on the mount last time I took off my coilovers, so it touched the wheel.
The green cable was slightly exposing its copper wiring. So the problem is definately there.

But I stripped the cables a bit more and insulated them seperate from each other and then the 2 together.
However on start up the ABS light is on. Then after seconds it turns off, followed by the ABS kicking in on the first smallest brake. This is followed by both the TCS light and the ABS light. However once the ABS kicked in the once, it doesn;t happen again???

I scanned after insulating and putting the 18th fuse back and got 00258. Cleared that and on the first brake ABS kicked in again and the 2 lights.
Scanned again and it had 2 codes. Twice the same 00258 (never had that happen either)

any further ideas?

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
Anyone that can shed some light on this?

Last night I deleted the 2 x code 00258 and this morning starting the car both TCS light and ABS were on, and stayed on. ABS didn't kick in though...

any ideas?

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
Update on this with which I'm hoping to get some help

I now re-insulated pretty much half of the ABS wiring.
I then deleted the 00285 code again (ABS fault right front)

The lights were both off from then on and the ABS no longer kicks in when it shouldn't. Furthermore TCS is working when it should as well, and if I'm correct, ECT will only work when ABS is properly working and visa versa...

However a day later the TCS light came on along with the EPC light. Not the ABS light this time.

I read the codes and it was

18048/P1640/005696 - Internal Control Module: EEPROM Error
Possible Causes
Engine Control Module modified (e.g. Chip Tuning)
Engine Control Module faulty
Possible Solutions
Contact your Tuner ;)
Replace Engine Control Module
Retrieved from "http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/18048/P1640/005696"

and

17953/P1545/005445 - Throttle Valve Controller: Malfunction
Possible Symptoms
Increased Idle Speed
Bucking at Load Change
Possible Causes
Throttle Body dirty
Throttle Body Wiring faulty
Throttle Body faulty
Possible Solutions
Clean Throttle Body
Check Throttle Body Wiring
Check Throttle Body
Special Notes
Use Meas. Blocks & Basic Setting for testing
Retrieved from "http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/17953/P1545/005445"

The Eeprom error I have had before, and just had a look at what I think was the ECU (under plastic cover by window wiper arm? where the 2 plugs go in from front??)
it wasn't wet there...maybe slightly moist...

As for the throttle, could this have to do with allignment, as I took it off about 1.5 months ago, and don't have full vagcom to reset it?

any help is much appreciated