ABS Question

thebody

Feb 28, 2010
Coningsby
Hi im hunting down a ABS fault with my Ibiza. Ive plugged it into my friends fault diagnostics and it came up with the front left sensor.
Anyway the ABS light doesnt even come on, so either the the bulb has been removed or would removing the ABS relays cause this aswell ?
My bloody handbrake light is always on aswell could this be linked ?
Could someone post a pic of were the ABS relays are ? As i cant make head or tail of the diagrams in the FAQ's section.
There seems to be a couple of relays missing next to a relay numbered 19.
Thanks for your help.

cupra-8v

Aug 28, 2009
the fact the handbrake light is always on is linked with the abs fault, clear the abs fault and all will be fine, if its says front left wheel sensor then replace that sensor and then try and clear it with the diagnostics again

thebody

Feb 28, 2010
Coningsby
But why is the ABS light not on :confused:
The car feels really strange under braking, if you lock the wheels up the back end steps out. Feels like a caliper is snatching but no excess heat coming from the calipers.

cupra-8v

Aug 28, 2009
if i remember correctly the abs module also controlls the proportioning of the brakes so when there is a fault that causes the handbrake light to come on it is classed as a "serious" fault and means the rear wheels can lock up due to this, has the abs bulb been removed at some point? does it come on with the ignition then go off?

Caffienated

Dec 2, 2009
Bristol
I'd second checking the bulb. I know a few people that have discovered previous owners have 'fixed' ABS issues by taking the warning bulb out.

thebody

Feb 28, 2010
Coningsby
No the abs light doesnt come on during ignition best bet prob would be to check to see if the bulb has been removed then replace the faulty sensor. Hopefully this should solve the problem fingers crossed.

thebody

Feb 28, 2010
Coningsby
Another productive day working on Pedro. Fixed the rattling exhaust sorted the manifold leaking.
And discovered that the bulb has been removed along with the bulb holder so will have to get another one from Seat.

Caffienated

Dec 2, 2009
Bristol
Well, I guess that probably points to a long term issue. Probably is a wheel sensor at the bottom of it all, but sadly it probably also points to a less-than-caring previous owner...

thebody

Feb 28, 2010
Coningsby
Just ordered a new ABS Sensor. Seat wanted £55.00 quid for one :cry:
But i got one from AVS Car parts for £18 quid quite a saving. :funk:

cupra-8v

Aug 28, 2009
sounds like quite a saving! abit late to say but most mk 3 golfs have the same sensor so easy enough to get from breakers, i got mine off a mk4 golf just cut inside the engine bay and re-wired, although 18 quid isnt too bad

thebody

Feb 28, 2010
Coningsby
Well changed sensor and ABS light is still on [:@]
Is there any way of testing the wiring and the ABS sensor ?
Thanks

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
cleared the fault codes? Else the fault will still be saved

and road test it too usually helps

i can give you diagrams on how/where to test sensors/system resistance etc if you let me know the year or reg no if possible

Last edited:

thebody

Feb 28, 2010
Coningsby
Thanks for the replys its a 1997 GTI 16v.
I will get my friend to clear the fault code tomoz.
But the plot thickens the handbrake light that was staying on now operates as it should goes out when i let the handbrake off.
So maybe the fault is fixed ? Will take it for a little spin and report back.
Thanks

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
clean it and test the wires as they have a habit of breaking up from the heat off the exhaust

both sides come through the floor under the rear seat so easy to get at

basic resisitance is 1000-1300 ohm's but there's Mv and waveforms listed here if you wanna get really technical

Last edited: