ABS/Traction control light

e1370

Right heres my problem,
During recent heavy snow and stuff through xmas, and one day in particular my traction control and ABS was kicking in all the time (no problems there thats what i expect to happen in slippery conditions). However the next day and for the last month or so whenever its rainy/damp/snow etc my traction control and abs light turns on the dash and i get no abs or traction control, which is obviously a problem in the wet (sorry forgot to mention that i drive the 150bhp tdi leon cupra - '03 plate)
My car doesnt go into limp mode or anything like that, its just obviously a bit worrying, esp in the snow having no abs or tcs, and my dash looks like blackpool illuminations lol!!:doh:
Anyway does anyone know what this could be, do you think that snow and water has just got in the sensor and if so is this an easy job to , replace or even just clean the existing part?Also are there any 'guides' to show how to replace this, with pictures and stuff as I am only a desk boy but dont mind getting stuck into stuff as long as im giving some direction!! :headhurt:
obviously i dont wanna take this to the dealers, as no doubt it will be £50 to plug the computer in straight away.
Also its prob worth mentioning that in the dry the lights stay off and abs/tcs works fine, thats why its led me to believe that its a sensor maybe getting wet/dirty.
Any ideas from anyone would be much appreciated

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
try local for a vagcom user see if anyone can help

if the light's staying on it will have a fault registered that will give you at least a corner to check out

probably one of the sensors casing cracked/split

roberts189

I have a Leon Cupra (180) and Im having exactly the same problem, any help would be appreciated.

In the dry it dosnt realy bother me because the tcs just slows me down anyway and in the snow it just makes it impossible to get anywhere but its nice to have in the wet.

But the lights also annoying me lol

e1370

Well its a 00285 - ABS Wheel Speed Signal #2 (Right Front) - Range/Performance - G45
Does this mean its the ABS Sensor then? and if so back to my original question anyone know of any guides to replace this?
cheers

sydoggkdy

Jan 23, 2008
Kirkcaldy!!
Well its a 00285 - ABS Wheel Speed Signal #2 (Right Front) - Range/Performance - G45
Does this mean its the ABS Sensor then? and if so back to my original question anyone know of any guides to replace this?
cheers

think that means you just need a new sensor, replacing it is easy as pie.
just take the wheel off
unscrew old sensor & unplug (was an allen key on the ibiza)
**stand on old sensor**
plug-in & tighten up new sensor
put the wheel back on.

shouldn't take any longer than 10 mins.

si

gsworld21

ABS Light on in snow.

Alright guys, im new to the site, just registered....
im having a similar problem in that i got stuck in a very snowy car park the other day, managed to get out but my traction control, ABS and Warning light came on, with that annoying beeping sound!!
They all came on just as the engine died due to the fact that the traction control was going nuts! and i got no revs (turned ESP off , which worked and got outta there)
Anyhow roads were clear and got home, no probs with the car or owt but the ABS light now wont go out on the dash! I was thinking it might be the sensor if some snow has got into it and effected it? (Am i right in thinking its near the Calipers?)
Any imput would be appreciated.
By the way gotta 05 Cupra R.
Cheers.

e1370

Im gonna try and replace my sensor this weekend mate, so il let you know the outcome.
By the way dealer quoted me £45 + vat for the part, got it for £19.44 from vwspares.co.uk, so check it out before the dealers. as for where its at ive not looked yet the part just got delivered today but like i said il post back prolly late saturday or sunday depending on weather!!!!

dainott2105

mk1 Cupra and mk2 FR TDI
Nov 4, 2006
swansea
Got the same problem with mine now. Over the last week or so both lights (ABS,TCS) come on intermittently. Aint got my Vag Com working correctly at the mo :( so are the sensors the same for both sides as think its the drivers side but if it turns out to not be will it fit the passenger side. Cheers

PS Just a thought aswell, but if you were on a track and didnt want the TCS on (cant turn it off completely with the button) then removing one sensor would turn it off or better still running a switch from it?!?!

Last edited:

sydoggkdy

Jan 23, 2008
Kirkcaldy!!
Got the same problem with mine now. Over the last week or so both lights (ABS,TCS) come on intermittently. Aint got my Vag Com working correctly at the mo :( so are the sensors the same for both sides as think its the drivers side but if it turns out to not be will it fit the passenger side. Cheers

nope, there's three abs sensors: front left, front right & rear

so without a scan it could be any one of these.

si

[RSms]RS

RS Motorsport Team
Without wanting to sound like an idiot is front right passenger side or drivers side, depends on whether you are inside or out. ::lol:

I have same code

00285 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor: Front Right (G45)
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit

Also whats an average price for a new sensor ?

Thanks

Pyro

front right is drivers side in Britten mate i got my sensor for about 26 sqids from GSF

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.