Advice please on front suspension strut removal.

fozworth

Mar 6, 2009
Im fitting AP coilovers to my ibiza this sunday and wounderd if it makes much diference spraying WD40 on to the strut base where its clamped in so it might help with it freeing up on removal or do they budge valy easily also same for the drop link top bolt which is conected to the strut. Or is it a waist of time?

chris4500uk

Nov 25, 2008
Near Middlesbrough
Always helps a touch, best to do it the day before.

The best advice would be to get the hub splitter tool to remove to the strut. However I used a very large hammer and it took ages !

fozworth

Mar 6, 2009
I take it this hub splitter is a tool that spreads the clamping part at the bottom of the strut.I think if this is correct ive used a crow bar or bar with flat end to prise open the bottom area where the strut sits and its always worked .WHere can you get these and how much are they?

fozworth

Mar 6, 2009
Apparently if you jack the car up level both sides at the front the drivers side strut comes out without the drive shaft hitting ARB ,is this right? or do i need to drop the drive shaft

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
Apparently if you jack the car up level both sides at the front the drivers side strut comes out without the drive shaft hitting ARB ,is this right? or do i need to drop the drive shaft

It is so much easier to remove the drive shaft, as you'll need spring clamps to compress the spring, and it's not easy to get them in place while the struts still on the car. It is definitely possible without removing the drive shaft, just more time consuming. I chose not to remove the driveshaft and regretted it after as it too quite a bit longer for me. Below is a link to the guide I used.

http://www.seat-ibiza-mk4.co.uk/ibiza_front_shock_absorber_change.htm

Last edited:

BlackFR

Jan 22, 2002
Not too far away
I did each side in turn on mine and it was fairly easy to get the strut out once I had put the spring compressor on it without removing drive shafts etc.

Its worth buying / making a hub spread though, I found grinding down a 10mm allen key did the job perfectly:)

fozworth

Mar 6, 2009
If you remove the drive shaft can you just undo the gearbox end and leave the wheel hub end as this will be more invoved.other wise i think i will just use a spring compresser.

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
you really do not need to remove the drive shaft, i have change the fronts suspension on 2 mk4 now and have never removed a drive shaft.

if you do not have or dont want to buy a hub splitter you can just use a pry bar to spread the hub

fozworth

Mar 6, 2009
Ok thanks mate,Ive bought a hub splitter £14 , and have spring compressors so my mate will hopfully be ok with just that.Also have bought new top mounts and bearings so i wont have to strip the other set down either .

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I can vouch for the "the tool" - ie something like the Laser Tools copy of the VAG one, I did one side (broken spring) using things like screwdriver bits but they "rise" too quickly and if you do get lucky and they open the clamp up then they do tend to annoy you by jumping out! The correct tool is far more managable and trustworthy - just remember to remove it before reclamping as it will still be in there!!

One thing that I would add to the above guide is, do the initial slackening of the strut top<>top mounting nyloc nut, before removing anything and do the final tightening of the new nut after refitting everything - as it might save chasingthe strut around the garage floor!

Last edited:

Lew89

Jun 17, 2011
Oxford
3923d1094252491-osnn-irc-channel-irc-freenode-net-holythreadresbatman.jpg

But seriously... im removing my front AP Coilovers tommorow to fit new top mounts & bearings. Do you have to remove the tie rod end ? I've found a tutorial for a fabia where the guy removes a tie rod end :/ I cant see much benefit other than maybe having a bit more room to slide the strut out ?

see HERE

In another tutorial there is no mention of removing the tie rod.

Also my car is lowered already will i have to still compress the spring ?

Last edited:

R1ch85

1/4mile - 13.935 @ 100.54
Nov 9, 2006
Bristol
You shouldn't have any trouble removing them really as coilover struts are sooo much shorter than stock. No need to compress the spring as far as I know. No need to remove tie rod either.