Alternative rear strut brace

CatB1

Nov 19, 2003
Manchester
www.freeserve.com
Wanted to see whether I coiuld make a rear strut brace that incorporated the two most popular designs, one that is attached to the shock absorber thread & the other to the turret. The lower of the two braces had to be mm perfect to ensure it was an exact fit between the brackets. Don't look too closely at the welds, I still need practice. Just replaced the tired Jamex coilovers with AP coilovers as well, a vast improvement.

Photo00312.jpg

Photo0032.jpg

Photo00332.jpg

Photo00342.jpg

Photo00352.jpg

Pete

CatB1

Nov 19, 2003
Manchester
www.freeserve.com
Any benefits of this mate?

Not sure, just wanted to see whether I could incorporate both designs. The way I see it, when I first made the upper brace (the one that is attached via the nut onto the top of the shock absorber) & secured just one side of it into position I could apply a force & move the rubber 'housing'. That indicated to me that even with both sides 'bolted down', there could still be movement evident (less, because the two sides are now joined together). The lower brace (attached around the turret) should stop any movement in the turret but may still allow movement of the rubber 'housing'.
Easy solution, join the two together.

Pete

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Got to find a way of improving my welding.

Practise practise practise!! :)

I did a welding course a while back, by the end of it my MIG welding was top notch. Now I've come back to it after a long break I'm getting all sorts of problems! Only when I had been welding again for a few days did I get the 'knack' back.

Those welds don't look too bad, although judging by the grind marks I'm guessing they've been 'tidied up'? ;)

CatB1

Nov 19, 2003
Manchester
www.freeserve.com
Practise practise practise!! :)

I did a welding course a while back, by the end of it my MIG welding was top notch. Now I've come back to it after a long break I'm getting all sorts of problems! Only when I had been welding again for a few days did I get the 'knack' back.

Those welds don't look too bad, although judging by the grind marks I'm guessing they've been 'tidied up'? ;)

Ha ha, well spotted, I spent longer grinding the welds than I did on the whole manufacture, gona keep practising until I can weld to a decent standard.

Pete

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.