Anyone remeber that green Toledo race car?

Chris Eyre

The Voice of Reason
Apr 2, 2003
researching
Visit site
It’s back, in Autosport classifieds this week:

IMG_0710.jpg

Last heard about it around Nov/Dec 2000 when it was sold from SE England to Ireland. Similar money then I think, if not less.

Seat Sport built I believe, with some nice parts. Don’t think it was ever raced by Seat? But has competed in private hands since.

Featured in PVW sometime – don't have the date to hand - I’m sure one of you guys must have the issue…..

roly

midnightmotors.net
Jan 2, 2002
Midnight Motors Workshop
that looks extreamly like the one my boss used to race at lydden after he sold the ibiza

if so GTech did quite a bit of work on it and we've still got bits of a mashed quaiffe gear set at work making a nice paperweight :cartman:

Chris Eyre

The Voice of Reason
Apr 2, 2003
researching
Visit site
Yep, that's my recollection.

To add to the story, he was trying to buy a nice 16V 2 litre engine at the end of 2000 (he ay have blown his up at that stage). I got the engine, and IIRC he decided to sell the car instead.

Sounds like it came out of a familiar stable, Rob?

roly

midnightmotors.net
Jan 2, 2002
Midnight Motors Workshop
from the story i can remember we got it cheap from seat uk as it had running problems (not sure what), Gtech sorted that side and that's when the ibiza (Rob's car) wen't into retirement

the toledo had loads of money thrown at it when we had it, i think it was still running the 5 speed box, air jacks and other assorted parts we didn't want or need

with the help of GTech it was turned into a flying machine and done very well at lydden hill where my boss drove it, also remember a few trips to brands and other local events

i think he just got bored in the end and decided to do something else (boats mainly)

Chris Eyre

The Voice of Reason
Apr 2, 2003
researching
Visit site
Sounds like you're far closer to the real happenings!

Rob mentioned Gtech built or maintained the cars for Seat IIRC. Or Gtech had them passed to them by Seat at some stage of the Seat corporate usage? (both the Ibiza & Toledo by the sounds of it).

Toledo was always a mystery really. Did you ever get the full tale on why it was built what with all the jacks, centre locks etc into a pseudo-touring car?

I wonder if the latest guy has been back to Lehman...?

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
The ad I saw for this a few years ago had it with a dry sump Lehman engine - but from what Chris is saying thet blew up and he bought the engine ?

Yeh it had a very strange spec - bag tank, air jacks, centerlocks etc etc, almost feels like a euro tourer (dont recall the toledo ever being a tourer in the UK) or maybe an endurance racer.

Car didn't achieve very much from what I heard from Lydden Hill people when I enquired about my cars past with SEMSEC champs - unless you know different roly ?

Last edited:

Chris Eyre

The Voice of Reason
Apr 2, 2003
researching
Visit site
but from what Chris is saying that blew up and he bought the engine ?
I recall that when I bought that 16V engine of mine that the then Toledo chappie also wanted it, so he must have been looking to replace his engine at the time.

He may have put the old one back together in then end. It was on the market a short time afterwards (dim & distant memories though - be nice to find the other ad & also the PVW feature)

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
ah gotya - I thought perhaps the original lehman engine had left the car but yes he could have got it fixed I guess - I have the original ad in the library (shed LOL)

this would be a cracking car to raid for bits but not at this price

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
for 15k it would have to be in seriously good nick - especially when looking at what BTCC Super Touring spec cars are running out the door for these days

Chris Eyre

The Voice of Reason
Apr 2, 2003
researching
Visit site
I agree it looks expensive. No purposeful history in Seat's hands, though the last 5 years of development might have moved it on...

The bits on it that shout expense are pumping up the price (Dymags, centre locks etc). Break up value sadly won't get near £15k.

- Engine & ECU £3k?
- Dog box (assume Quaife) £1.5-£2k
- Wheels £500 - £800?
- shell, digi dash, seat, & the rest £2k?

... leaving relatively little else

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
depends what dampers / suspension are on it - could be 3K in that easy as wink if pukka 3 or 4 way adjustables

brakes.....1.5K+ if good ones

Chris Eyre

The Voice of Reason
Apr 2, 2003
researching
Visit site
Too true. Probably has a set of APs on it.

Toledos were Mk2 Golf / Jetta underneath, weren't they? Or are they a VAG hybrid?

In that case hubs should fit a Mk2 Golf - though not many in the market to pay top $ for centre nut kit like that. Would have to be sold into the Berg, I suspect..

Any bespoke Toledo stuff on it would struggle for a market though.

Be nice to stick a proper parts value on it though.

roly

midnightmotors.net
Jan 2, 2002
Midnight Motors Workshop
from what i can remember of the toledo he done quite well with it (when it was running that is)

i never saw the ibiza on track as i didn't work for the company when they we're running that

not sure on the full spec of the toledo but our workshop was next door to GTech's so they had alot of involvement in both cars when we owned them

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.