Anyone with a 40mm Drop Read This Please!

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
so the 40mm drop spax springs i have on the 8v havnt dropped by 40mm, only 25 mm ?

Don't know about Spax, I haven't tried them..... didn't think they were that good from what I have heard about them from other people (in different cars).

Email them and ask them........ this is what I'm confused about it's not like the Ibiza is a new car so how come this is the 1st time I heard of this problem!???

WeeC

Aug 5, 2004
Glasgow
Afraid I tried to see what the numbers were on my kit but couldnt. I won't be able to have a look until the weekend when I go back to Mum and Dads and get access to their garage I'm afraid. Im very sure its a 40mm drop though. i'll also try and dig out the name of the kit that I got. I should still have the receipt/invoice

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
when getting the car back i would have said the drop was more than 2.5 cm.

also, i was under the impression that springs were springs and that there all made in the same place by the same company anyway and spax or who ever just put there name on it and you pay for the name....but there all the same???:confused: - anyways....dont want to drag it off topic....

please note i just replaced the springs and nothing else.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
currently still in winter mode so a bit higgledy but if it helps:

std 16v multispoke rims
195/50/16" tyres
standard aftermarket shocks
eibach spring kit all round- pass on part number/spec sorry

measured from the top lip of wheel itself to wing lip as there si too much plastic stuck to mine

front 100mm
rear 105mm

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
Before (original suspension rims etc)
Tractor..
2dqoirq.jpg

After (G-Max 60/40 ? different alloys but still 15's )
Flymo..
dcbfvd.jpg

definately a lot lower :blink:

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
currently still in winter mode so a bit higgledy but if it helps:

std 16v multispoke rims
195/50/16" tyres
standard aftermarket shocks
eibach spring kit all round- pass on part number/spec sorry

measured from the top lip of wheel itself to wing lip as there si too much plastic stuck to mine

front 100mm
rear 105mm

You measuring from the top lip of the alloy? If so, mine is:

Front 135mm
Rear 140mm

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
when getting the car back i would have said the drop was more than 2.5 cm.

also, i was under the impression that springs were springs and that there all made in the same place by the same company anyway and spax or who ever just put there name on it and you pay for the name....but there all the same???:confused: - anyways....dont want to drag it off topic....

please note i just replaced the springs and nothing else.

If you can find proof of that I will happily pay spax if they lower it the amount I want and are the same as koni and the likes lol.

Brummy thats the amount I would be happy with but don't wanna go for GMax had them on my first car and wasn't too impressed :blink: (don't shout at me lol)

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
WeeC......... PLEASE! Find the part number, PLEASE!

The invoice could do, let me know what you find and where you got them from? Could ring them up and see what they could do for me.

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
i have no proff.....maybe ill track down the owner of koni and chase him down the road Roger Cook and the Cook report style and get it out of him....:D

Just what i was told when looking for springs Dave.....there all the same you just pay for the name.

You know more than me though mate....can only go off what people tell me.

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
You measuring from the top lip of the alloy? If so, mine is:

Front 135mm
Rear 140mm

35mm lower then front and rear

that's measuring from the very outside edge of the wheel just butted the tape measure against it and rolled up to the wing

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
Dinks. I aint gonna shout at ya, mate.. it was either tractor stance like in the first pic or those.. cashflow was a major issue at the time.. it almost came down to me parting with the car...

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
mine arrived with gmax all round - bottom half were all sagged down and the coils wedged together with rust

cut em up and my youngest daughter welded some nuts and bolts to make little ornaments :):)

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2008
huntingdon
here's what mine looks like with the H&R's

Front-100mm from top of rim to the arch (standard 16" ronals)
PICT0006-1.jpg

Rear-90mm from top of rim to the arch
PICT0007-4.jpg

And a crap picture of how it looks at a distance
PICT0008-2.jpg

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Dinks. I aint gonna shout at ya, mate.. it was either tractor stance like in the first pic or those.. cashflow was a major issue at the time.. it almost came down to me parting with the car...

Can't part with the car fella! :cry:

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Project..... (What is your name) Details please, know they off ebay but you know anymore details than that?

Feb 17, 2008
huntingdon
projectgingawarrior AKA Gary! just checked and they're not actually H&R! they have H and R in the part number!! they're actually g-max. just found them on the website. they should lower by 40mm according to this. the bloke that I bought them from though that they were H&R and the shop he got them from told him they would lower his daughters mk3 1.4 25mm. I can't get the origional e-bay ad as it's more than 60 days old now. the ride with these springs is actually very good.

http://www.gmaxsuspension.co.uk/p1250347.htm

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
did wonder where i had seen that rear coil stack before :)

that pic reminds me i want some black rear reflectors

and spolier

and skirts

and bumpers

cheers

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.