Applemobile's White Cupra R32...Turbo? In car video added

Apr 12, 2008
Awesome stuff mate, the vr6 engines are torquey as hell and nice to drive. My missusususss Golf 4mo is really nice smooth but quick.
Any ideas what the flutter is at 2k ?

No idea. I have read that there was a software recall, for the ECU i have. They came from the factory with issues of hesitating between 3-4k. Especially when hot. Basically the Knock sensor was over sensitive.
I get the impression that VW could update the software, or a remap would have the same effect. My ECU came with a remap, but i think it was wiped out when i had the immobilizer deleted.
So perhaps is that...ill have to look into it a bit further when i can, its not making it undrivable, its fine on heavy acceleration, but on partial throttle its a little annoying.

i might Chuck a new MAF on it anyway, as its probably going to fail sometime anyway.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2008
Passed ^.^

Emmisions just scraped through, he said it was like a fueling issue, perhaps related to my hesitaton.

Two advisory's, oil weep at steering pump, and hand brake reading low (17%). Both easy to sort things i would imagine.
Very Happy, off to tax it, and may upload a vid later :D

Apr 12, 2008
Had this sat a round for a while, and im now starting to get serious about fitting it.

The only manifolds i have found that i like, are intergalactic money. And all the cheap ones look poorly made, and are single scroll. I've done a lot of playing about, and settled on this Twin Scroll Log. I've not seen any other manifolds around like this design, so thats either a good...or a bad thing :lol:

Today i mocked up the manifold to check the clearance from the block. Much better than i was expecting it to look. The turbo this way round will make the down pipe a bit harder to make, but it's heavy fecker (14.5kg!), and i want to keep the main weight as close to the studs as possible, to give the manifold the best chance. I will also be adding bracing from below.

Not totally sure where the wastegates are going to go yet. Logic would suggest on the bends going into the turbo, but i don't really want them on the outer radius of the bends disrupting the flow. Other Option is directly opposite port 2 and 5. I think wherever i put them will be a compromise, unless anyone has a fantastic idea...

MrJoosh

Jun 21, 2014
Bacup
plus.google.com
I like the look of this, but would it not be better to go for equal length ports with a twin scroll turbo? Or is there not enough clearance for that?

Also for the wastegates, you could put them on the left & right sides of the bends going to the turbo as you look from the turbo side if you know what I mean?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2008
I like the look of this, but would it not be better to go for equal length ports with a twin scroll turbo? Or is there not enough clearance for that?

Also for the wastegates, you could put them on the left & right sides of the bends going to the turbo as you look from the turbo side if you know what I mean?

Yes I'm sure equal length would be beneficial if done well. However, its also a lot more complected. Trying to get 6 pipes to merge either side of a T3 flange, whilst maintaining equal lengths is quite a feat. The length of the runners, and more bends may have a negative effect too. I think unless i did it perfectly, i would see no benefit.

I have copied this design from the Log manifolds used by Cummins on the twin scroll Holsets. Sure its a diesel, but the theory is the same.

I think that does sound like a pretty good placement for the wastegates, i can pretty much make those equal lengths too if it was there.

MrJoosh

Jun 21, 2014
Bacup
plus.google.com
Yes I'm sure equal length would be beneficial if done well. However, its also a lot more complected. Trying to get 6 pipes to merge either side of a T3 flange, whilst maintaining equal lengths is quite a feat. The length of the runners, and more bends may have a negative effect too. I think unless i did it perfectly, i would see no benefit.

I have copied this design from the Log manifolds used by Cummins on the twin scroll Holsets. Sure its a diesel, but the theory is the same.

I think that does sound like a pretty good placement for the wastegates, i can pretty much make those equal lengths too if it was there.

Fair play, I suppose you say that the Cummins ones are 'only a diesel' but at the end of the day, diesel or petrol, turbos work pretty much the same way...

This will be awesome when its done though :D

Apr 12, 2008
After looking behind the engine again... i think there is not a hope in hell's chance i can build a downpipe exiting on the driver side :lol:, it will have to be mounted the other way round.

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Loving the way this is heading. As for the manifold design i wouldn't go for a log design using a tee unless you really have no other way of doing it, sure its simple but in flow terms its not ideal.....have you thought about using standard cast OEM manifolds then build two separate up pipes to each side of the turbo flange. That way you have a very nice cast collector merging the 3-1 perfectly then you need only a couple of bends up to the turbo flange, much less fabbing / welding required.

Apparently the OEM cast manifolds flow pretty well, here is a link showing some pics / inspiration - http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4684097-Pic-request-Custom-vr6-turbo-manifolds&p=72309660&viewfull=1

I would go this way as it'll also be easier to accommodate wastegates too.

Good luck matey, oh and i have a stainless t3 divided flange if you want it.... From back when i was gonna use a garrett twin scroll.

Apr 12, 2008
Loving the way this is heading. As for the manifold design i wouldn't go for a log design using a tee unless you really have no other way of doing it, sure its simple but in flow terms its not ideal.....have you thought about using standard cast OEM manifolds then build two separate up pipes to each side of the turbo flange. That way you have a very nice cast collector merging the 3-1 perfectly then you need only a couple of bends up to the turbo flange, much less fabbing / welding required.

Apparently the OEM cast manifolds flow pretty well, here is a link showing some pics / inspiration - http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4684097-Pic-request-Custom-vr6-turbo-manifolds&p=72309660&viewfull=1

I would go this way as it'll also be easier to accommodate wastegates too.

Good luck matey, oh and i have a stainless t3 divided flange if you want it.... From back when i was gonna use a garrett twin scroll.

I was toying with that design. I what was putting me off was the room to fit it. I'm planning on keeping the stock inlet manifold, which over hangs at the back, so the turbo really can't sit any higher than the head flange. I was toying with the idea of making a sidewinder to sit it above the gearbox...but after consideration its just more hastle than its worth.

I may not settle on this design, but i like the simplicity...and it should be pretty robust.

I will take into account what you have said, however it's worth noting that i'm not after ''massive'' power. The log design in practice seems to spool faster, which i think may be more important to me.
In the future when i decide i want more power...i would be happy to completely change the manifold design.
Thanks for the offer but i already have a flange....and a t4 flange...but that idea went out the window.

Apr 12, 2008
I never did post a proper picture of the camber. Poor iphone picture, but cba with getting a camera. Ive ordered 5mm spacers to fit to the front, where i currently have 12mm, should make it look much better alround.

Apr 12, 2008
Do the turbo!!! Mega power then!

Camber looks great how much would you say that is now?

The turbo Build WILL be happening, just very slowly. Things are just getting in my way, just as i was about to order a few more bits, the clutch went on my Freelander which ate up a few quid in parts! I want to get everything ready to go on, and then fit it all with the least amount of waiting for parts. I was going to take the car off the road at the end of the month, but i paid £300 for insurance at the start of the month, if i was to cancel now, they said i would get £120 back! Put me right off taking it off the road, so i'm going to get the most use i can until the weather gets bad. (worse)

I have absolutely no idea how much camber it is. I'll try and measure it some time.

R32

Hi, Tejinder from R32oc. Please get back to me regarding the Schrick camshafts you sold me. I have ended the PayPal dispute in an attempt to obtain a refund directly. You have not been responding to any contact so I've been left with no choice but to message you on here.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.