Arosa reeks of petrol

MARRA

What you talkin' 'bout ?
Dec 3, 2002
West Cumbria
Visit site
My mates fiancee has a 1.0 Arosa and he's been complaining of a smell of petrol for a few weeks now.

The other day I went up to his house and although the car had been in the garage all night and although there were no obvious signs of petrol leaking anywhere, the smell of petrol was overwhelming.

Any ideas what this could be as it seems abit dangerous to me:confused:

:cheers:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
inside? outside?

mine smelt when i drilled thru the filler pipe. lorna's old polo smelt when full of petrol due to a dodgey seal.

give us some detail about where it came from. easiest way is to do it outside as it's a lot easier to track down

Mark

MARRA

What you talkin' 'bout ?
Dec 3, 2002
West Cumbria
Visit site
Couldn't really smell it inside the car but the garage really stunk.

Should really have backed it out and had a good sniff but I'd been drinking and my nasal perception is crap at the best of times.

We looked underneath the car and inside the engine bay but couldn't see any drips or anything and like I say because the garage reeked so much we couldn't really tell where the smell was worse.

Then went home and watched the 'Only fools and horses' Christmas special where Del is checking for leaking fuel with his lighter, if we had thought of that then we would have probably have found out if it was dangerous;)

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
wherever the leak is it'll soak into the dirt on the underseal

normally looks dark wherever it is.

outside is best place to store it rather than build up petrol fumes.....

arosa1

Hi, I've just joined. I hope your mates fiance is ok. Has she still got the car? Has she still got the petrol smell? I have both - got the car in 2003 my second one, I love it. Problem is I have started to have blackouts. Had the car checked because of fumes. The AA finally found that the return pipe was severed possibly by the bodywork and this resulted in a puddle of fuel inside the car under the rear passenger seats. It would be worth you checking believe me.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?