DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
Right I thought id make a new thread to see what people think it is..

Last saturday I had my LCR Pressure Tested up to 1bar to see if there was any Vac Leaks Which anyway we found 3....

The 13miles drive home i was still blowing smoke out the back really badly which im guessing was the old Smoke from the test.Anyway over the last few days its got less and less And only smokes once how..

Now It doesnt smoke when cold when left over night and doesnt smoke Even when driving normal and using the Engine break..But if i go and really hammer it for around 2-3mins and come off boost it wont blow smoke...But come to a idle stop and give it a minute or two and it will burn oil out the back not really bad but you can defo see and smell the Burn blue oil..

Ive took all 4 spark plugs out and there is no sign off oil there and the plugs are in good condition plus ive just done a full oil & filter change..

Im guessing its the turbo seals giving what once hot?any other advice would be great..

Video Of Smoke :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2YYK-2jKYo

thanks

Last edited:

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
have you over filled the oil?

for turbo seals to of gone i'd expect more smoke than that to be honest,

is it using any oil?

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
Hmm, its not very conclusive. It looks like standard exhaust fumes to me. I'm sure mines the same. Just keep a keen eye on the oil levels and see if you are loosing any.

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
If I thrash mine before the temp reaches 90C (I know, my bad) I seem to get a lot more fumes from the exhaust, like if I rev it really hard then come to a stop it actually condenses on the outside of the rear window and I have to give the rear wiper a flick to clear it. Remember, if you're really thrashing it it will burn a lot of fuel so there's bound to be a fair bit of fumes.

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
Well i just started it then and had No smoke at all Not even the smell So i gave it a rev to 4krpm and let off soon as took the foot of the accel had a little puff of blue smoke..

Then it went to idle and didnt smoke...it doesnt do it on engine breakin either...

If i go out and get the engine really hot by creating loads of boost then come to idle it will puff small amounts off smoke out the back..

Is there anyway way to do test for valve stem seals and piston rings...I mean even if i go and boot it no smoke comes out the back...Same wen i let off..

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
if the plugs are clean and not sooted up its not the rings, plus iff it was excessive crancase pressure from heavy breathing the TIP would be caked with oil from the pressure pushing oil through the breather pipe,

This would cause the car to smoke underload too, not on idle,

I wouldnt even consider the piston rings,

if the plugs are light chocolate brown or a white beige then i personally say its past the engine, and possibly turbo related,

My lc smoked for a week after being sat around, personally id watch it and see what happens over the next couple of weeks, keep an eye on the plugs , oil level,

its not had any boost leaks recently has it?

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
ahh i thought you only had vac leaks, not boost,

personally id do an ecu reset, and let the car relearn,

Worth a try, I think because its had boost leaks, in theory its been overfueling ( MAf reads intake volume, Injectors match air/fuel) but since youve had slight leaks its been running slightly rich, but now no leaks !,,

i think is possibly just due a clear out, and a good run,

Its free so worth a try,

Apr 12, 2008
So in idol you rev it...and it puffs smoke when you let your foot off the throttle? Sounds like some part of the PCV could be blocked or not working as it should?

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
So in idol you rev it...and it puffs smoke when you let your foot off the throttle? Sounds like some part of the PCV could be blocked or not working as it should?

Well im sure its messing with me...I swear ive driven 23miles tonight and got stuck in traffic a few times and didnt smoke....Oddly i could smell the burnt oil but im just gonna keep a eye on it see how it goes..

The R had some stick tonight but didnt smoke once....did all the test over and over..