Best budget tyres for Leon Cupra ?

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Hi,

I'm sure this has been asked before so apologies in advance !.

My 2 front tyres are on 2mm and 2.5mm, so they're going to have to be replaced within the next month or so.

What's the best budget tyre out there ?. Are Nexxen / Lasso? any good ?

Also, what tread types are best ? arrowhead tread (http://www.ctyres.co.uk/product/pic/falken_fk451.gif) or standard ?. I was told that arrowhead tread can sometimes cause more road noise and wear down quicker, but not sure how true that is !

I have this type of tread on all 4 wheels (http://www.ctyres.co.uk/product/pic/falken_fk451.gif). So does this mean i need to get this type of tread again for the front (law) ?

I was once told you could have standard tread on the front and arrow type tread on the rear, but not the other way round. Then the MOT garage told me this was complete rubbish and as long as the same tread was on each axle, it didn't matter !

Best Regards,
Andy

markoos

Simples!
Feb 1, 2004
Cumbernauld
Visit site
If at all possible I would avoid any kind of budget tyre,and try and spend a few quid(if you can)on quality tyres.A quick search will throw up plenty of suggestions for you.

Neg.

May 11, 2007
Bristol
I wouldnt put cheap cheap tyres on my car because i drive it quite hard. When you think the only thing holding your car to the road is your tyres.......

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
True. When i said budget, i didn't mean cheapo. Just something which is made by a decent manufacturer under another name, i.e. Bridgestone do lasso (or is it lasser ?).

For the last 5 years i've only bought tyres at around £70 to £80 each with no problems at all, and with me only keeping the car another 6 - 12 months there's no way i'm getting Pirelli etc !

Best Regards,
Andy

jhono

old boy racer
Jul 15, 2007
try camskills falkens are not to bad there are quite a few cupras on this forum with them ,£60 ish and free next day delivery if ordered before 1.:p

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
I dont buy top of the range performance tyres - unlike 99% of the people on here....

had my car 3.5 years now & always bought "best mid-range tyres" from http://www.tyre-shopper.co.uk/

Just got some Millennium 91Y tyres for the front, the Barum rears still have plenty left on em. Think I paid £70 for one about 3 weeks ago (includes delivery to a local garage, balancing, fitting, new valves & disposal of your old tyre).

Neg.

May 11, 2007
Bristol
I love my Falken 452's. Found them after seeing a few threads on here about them. Had them from my local tyre place for 59quiid fitted and balanced a corner

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
im against budget tyres on these cars... but i guess its how you drive that dictates.

however most cars hit mway speeds in poor conditions ...... what tyres do you want under you when heading towards a pile up in the wet?

how budget are they? got 24k off my last tyres

Bogwoppit

Aug 30, 2005
Lincs
That new Hankook tyre seems to be causing a bit of a stir in the German car press at the moment. The Hankook V12 Evo seems to be kicking most of the big brand names into touch in the tyre tests and for only £54.50 delivered in 205/55R16 (My size) from Camskill I know what I will be trying. Look at the test results below and see for yourself:

Hankook V12 link

Autobild Tyre test pdf (German)

AutoBild Sports Car Tyre test pdf (German)

hankookk110n.jpg

P.S.I don't work for Hankook, but these do look a cracking tyre for the price.

Last edited:

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
i had my nexxen's on for a good 30k, then again i don't drive too hard. Back ones got about 40k !. Falkens sound decent. I've had a few recomendations for them

regards,
Andy

swilky23

Jul 3, 2008
rochdale
I have kumho ecstas on mine they were 260 for 4 fitted at your workplace or home by event tyres. I have had no problems they seem ok

m.r.davies

God's Property
Jun 13, 2006
Cardiff
I have Falken 452's on the front, only £60 each, and cant fault them.

I had the hankook ventus sport ones on previously, and they grip like a mofo
the new ones sound interesting....

Curious Chris

attention seeker
Sep 11, 2006
My tires are the best, sure i have the CHEAPEST 17 inch tyres going :D 205/45/17 goodyear eagle f1's ill not tell you the price but all 4 cost me less that what is quoted for one in the above post :D

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
My tires are the best, sure i have the CHEAPEST 17 inch tyres going :D 205/45/17 goodyear eagle f1's ill not tell you the price but all 4 cost me less that what is quoted for one in the above post :D

Ah come on Chris, spill the beans!, were these second hands off ebay ?? hmmm.

regards,
Andy