Bit of advice needed on brand new car prep

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
I’ve just purchased a new car in Candy White (Ibiza Cupra Bocanegra). I opted not to go for the Superguard option from the dealership. I pick the car up tomorrow and i’m guessing they will just wash the car and that’s it.

I already have some NXT and autogylm shampoo + proper leathers and drying towels. I don’t have a huge amount of money to spend (up to around £60 for a few products or applicators) which I can pick up from the local Halfords or order online for the weekend. I’d like some fairly decent wax to help protect the new pain.

Any tips on what methods and brands to go for? I have also opted for the seat sport callipers. I have them on my current car and they have gone a little pink over time. Is it worth applying wax to the red callipers to help protect them? I live by the sea so salt is an issue.

Cheers.

Dajmin

I'm pretty sure wax would melt right off the calipers :) You might get away with a high-temp clearcoat/lacquer instead though.

I was really impressed with the Meguiar's products at the seminar and the way they transformed the old scratched car one of my friends brought was incredible. That's the ones I'll be stocking up on come the summer.

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
Good point about the heat off the brakes.

Was thinking of getting a clear vinal protection put on the front to protect from stone chips. Is this worth doing?

Dajmin

Certainly can't hurt. The only problem you might have is that if you do it wrongly (usually people put too much on) you'll end up with residue and you'll lose the shine. That'd probably wash off though, so it's not like you can really harm the paintwork with it. The best advice anyone can give is to make sure you read the instructions :)

Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
With hindsight I wish I'd have lacquered my calipers on my mk4 ibiza cupra. I would definitely get them done with a high temp lacquer if I were you.

As for polish, I use a product called Jof's Wax which used to be available on ebay but I can't find it now. It got good reviews on many detailing sites (I found it better than autoglym on my black paint) and was cheap.
The vinyl stone chip protection is good but quite visible so I'd recommend taking a look at another car with it on first.

Don't forget Scotch Guard for the interior

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.