Bit of help - mk2 16v GTI

mcchriswood

Aug 8, 2009
Hi guys.
Just looking for a bit of help really.
How much should i be looking to pay for a new cambelt supplied and fitted?
How much for clutch supplied and fitted?
And what stud pattern do the wheels have?? is it 4x100??

Im having awful trouble recently getting my car into 1st gear and sometimes reverse.
Also its REAL hard to pull away in as it feels like the clutch pedal comes up in sort of 2 judders so it either creeps away or i let the clutch off and it bounces along the road (if that makes sense) so im guessing its clutch problem.

Thanks guys
Chrissy

j.cavo

8 valves of pure power
Aug 6, 2009
Liverpool
Hi guys.
Just looking for a bit of help really.
How much should i be looking to pay for a new cambelt supplied and fitted?
How much for clutch supplied and fitted?
And what stud pattern do the wheels have?? is it 4x100??

Im having awful trouble recently getting my car into 1st gear and sometimes reverse.
Also its REAL hard to pull away in as it feels like the clutch pedal comes up in sort of 2 judders so it either creeps away or i let the clutch off and it bounces along the road (if that makes sense) so im guessing its clutch problem.

Thanks guys
Chrissy

the clutch issue is just that its a high clutch its just getting the hang of it really its just so fine between pulling of smooth and jerking everywhere

mcchriswood

Aug 8, 2009
It cant be that surely??
Ive had 9 cars and drive numerous vehicles on a daily basis.
Its like the pedal won't come up smoothly ie 2 steps and i cant get the pedal ebtween the 2 steps (ie where i need to get it)
Chrissy

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
check the pedal box is secure above the pedal on operation habit of breaking and causing problems crunching into gear but the cable is an adaption to a hydraulic converted box so they do have a low/high quick switchover feel to them

if you haven't got history or changed cable yet i can reccomend it considering that they are heavy standard mind

mcchriswood

Aug 8, 2009
sorry whats that cable then??
Something to do with the clutch.
No hjistory as i just bought it as a nippy cheap run around. (400 quid)

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
ye clutch cable

most cars have one around 3ft but ibiza one is 6ft+ as it's a conversion from Golf parts so not the best design sadly

new is a must to be honest and go from there

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
as said above though check the pedal box for movement as the cable's get so stiff they will break the mountings off the side

ye they are that bad :)

mcchriswood

Aug 8, 2009
how exactly do i check the pedal box then??
as you can tell...i dont deal with mechanics lol

mcchriswood

Aug 8, 2009
on a note not so bad :
the drivers side window isn't working and im baffled as to why...
and the abs light constantly stays on :|

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
winder mech's are common fault for cables and motor's iirc gsf do a cheap replacement

abs light on means there is a fault somewhere, you'll need vag-com or similar diagnostic software to find out what the issue is but mainly sensors and/or wiring to them

to check the pedal box remove the drivers side glove box and shine a torch up from the pedal, where the cable comes through the bracket just make sure that isn't moving/split or creaking, watching it as someone pedals is easier

here's a thread worth reading about mk2's but be warned it will put you off in places :p

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=157494

mcchriswood

Aug 8, 2009
funny that ive just been reading that. Got too page 6 and same things started too come up so thought i would call it a night

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
always said that a mk2 should have at least one thing wrong with it at all times, if it doesn't then look out as it soon will

mcchriswood

Aug 8, 2009
you dont know the part number on gsf by any chance do you.
Just had aquick look and can only see window switch :z

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
Damn their website system has gone to crap lately, sorry not looked online for a while, mind you looks like no one else did either :)

give ya local branch a call should see you alright

mcchriswood

Aug 8, 2009
great thanks flapper.
Just bought a new bonnet also as mine was a heap so i attempted ratting it which turned out ok although i dont like the look.
Its blue (turquoisey) however i think it will go well with my silver (sort of a turquoise blue)
do you know a complete average weight and size without having to go and look??
if not ill go measure up and remove and weigh it
Thanks
(i need it for delivery)
Chris

j.cavo

8 valves of pure power
Aug 6, 2009
Liverpool
nice 1 flapper i was thinkin pedal box.

sorry m8 didnt think you meant the pedal was jerky thought you were talking about the take off from the clutch as most mk2 owners will tell you its a fine art using the clutch

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
like the sound of ratting :) need some pics

saying that weight wise not a clue btu have a feeling someone was asking a couple of nights ago

agggh where is it !!!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.