Blue MK3 Ibiza Cupra Paint Correction Detail - Pic heavy!

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
LM_ GAUCI messaged me stating that his MK3 Imperial Blue Ibiza Cupra was indeed of some tender loving having stressed that he doesn’t want to park the car under any lights as he can’t bear the swirls.

It was agreed that lm_gauci would clean the inside of the car so that I could concentrate on the body work. Good thing we did do that because the paint correction took a good 9.5 hours!

Here are the weapons of choice:

Products

Wash n Drying
Meguairs NXT Tech Shampoo
Meguairs All Purpose Cleaner
Sonus Drying Towel
Meguairs Microfiber Clothes

Body Work / Polishes
Cleanyourcar fine polyclay
Meguairs Last Touch quick detailer
Menzerna Intensive Polish 85RD3.02
Menzerna Final Finish (PO 106 FA)

Sealants and Waxes
Klasse All in One
Collinite 476s

Plastics, Rubbers and Glass
Chemical Guys Wheel Guard
Chemical Guys - New Look Trim Gel
Tesco Glass Cleaner

Tools
Meguiars G220 mk2 machine polisher
Karcher Pressure washer
Snow foam Lance
Myriad of foam applicators
Menzerna Compound Pad (White)
Menzerna Polish Pad (Orange)
Swissvax Detail Brush
Meguiars Wheel Spoke Brush
3M 3434 Masking Tape

Here is how the car was when I turned up. On initial investigation the car was “clean” as it only washed last week. The wheels were lovely Porsche rims and being only two weeks old they were very clean.

Before
ibcuprabefore1.jpg

ibcuprabefore2.jpg

ibcuprabefore3.jpg

ibcuprabefore4.jpg

Wheels
Cleaned the wheels with Megs APC. Used a very weak dilution ratio.
ibcuprawheels1.jpg

ibcuprawheels2.jpg

Plastics
All the plastics were cleaned with a stronger Dilution of Megs APC.
ibcupraplastics1.jpg

ibcupraplastics2.jpg

ibcupraplastics3.jpg

Last edited:

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Wash n Dry
ibcuprasnwfoam1.jpg

ibcuprasnwfoam2.jpg

Washed
ibcuprawash1.jpg

Claying was much worse than the picture suggests. I had to clay some panels twice because the clay kept picking up dirt.
ibcupraclay1.jpg

Drying – Car was looking much healthier and smoother.
ibcupradry1.jpg

ibcupradry2.jpg

ibcupradry3.jpg

ibcupradry4.jpg

Last edited:

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Under the halogen lights, oh my god the marring and swirls was the worst I ever seen in the flesh! Made me realise how good blue hides these in natural day light. Lm_gauci and I was shocked but I was confident I would get a good level of correction.

The car was taped up and as usual the test area was the bonnet. It took me three or four attempts to decide what strength of polish and pad to use. The bonnet was more swirled on the left hand side than the right which was confusing. In the end I ended up using Menzerna Polishing pad with 106FA, worked pretty well. Near the end of the detail I decided to use a compounding pad to get the deeper scratches and swirls out.

Bonnet and Right side
ibcuprabonnet1.jpg

ibcuprabonnet2.jpg

ibcuprabonnet3.jpg

ibcuprabonnet4.jpg

ibcuprabonnet5.jpg

Left side
ibcupralside1.jpg

ibcupralside2.jpg

Shiny enough to see my ugly mug.
ibcupralside3.jpg

Last edited:

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Front bumper
ibcuprafront1.jpg

ibcuprafront2.jpg

Protection
Klasse All in One - my favourite product!
ibcupraklasse1.jpg

ibcupraklasse2.jpg

Wax – my wax of choice, very durable, very wet and amazingly easy to apply.
ibcuprawax1.jpg

Here are the results. Was pretty pleased and estimate around 85% correction. Thank you to Lm_gauci for giving me the opportunity to detail such a lovely motor. He done a superb job inside the car and on waxing the alloys. I was given endless amounts of tea and food, top car and a top bloke.

Results
ibcupraresult1.jpg

roof
ibcupraresult2.jpg

ibcupraresult3.jpg

ibcupraresult4.jpg

ibcupraresult5.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2006
Ashford, Middx
Look at it all nice and clean, lol. [B)]

Have to say, amazing work by maz. The pictures dont really show how bad the paint was to begin with. To say i'm pleased with the finish is an understatement.

Anyone considering getting this done just give "jonjay" a pm. He's a top bloke and the work he done was outstanding :D

I'll try and get some better daylight pictures up to show how good the car looks now.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Looks great mate. Some brilliant shots. When you moving on to a rotary, must be hard with the G220?
Thanks matey

I am not entirely sure to be honest with you. G220 is good but I do realise for cars with harder paint and hard clear coat lacquers I am gonna have to get a more powerful rotary polisher. At the moment having done 3 cars with it, the polishes and pads are coping well.

At the end of the day its a hobby for me. :)

Feb 8, 2008
Essex
Your doing mine soon, and looking at the results of the last couple you have done, I'm well excited to be getting my LCR detailed. Top work.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Question: Why use Klasse AIO after you've polished it? It's a cleaner rather than a sealant? Do you find the wax bonds to the AIO well?

I'm not being a smart ass, but genuinely interested as I've ditched my AIO and use a couple of coats of SRP for the EGP sealant to adhere to. Is it because you've not got an evening to let the EGP cure?

Watch out for the progress thread on our FR, this weekend's work :)
Klasse All In One is an all in one product as the title suggests so you are correct that it is a paint cleanser however it is also a sealant too. Yes I could use a pure sealant like EGP but having used both i find Klasse AIO in my opinion is a better product.

Copied from cleanyourcar.co.uk
Car-Lack68 Systematic Care: this product is a cleaner/sealant that will not only clean the car but apply a hard durable acrylic finish that is frost proof, heat proof and shrink proof. Originally formulated in 1958 as the worlds first Wet application wax, Car-Lack 68 has been constantly improved and redesigned to offer the very best in car care protection without sacrificing looks, or depth of shine.

What i could do is use Klasse AIO followed by EGP but I would argue that Collinite 476s is just as durable! Curing time for Klasse AIO is around 20-30 minutes and for EGP it is about an hour.

Look forward to it, remember what I said about clutch :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members