Bumper mod question 4 SMIC

sargey

Escaped mental patient
Aug 16, 2006
Weston-super-crapland
Ok, was washing the car just now and i looked down at the small air intake for the SMIC on my LC and was wondering. If i decided to cut out the rest of the bumper so its just one big hole (do a nice job mind not a hack job) would this make any improvement to the efficiency of the SMIC?

I dont want to buy a FMIC for reasons i wont discuss. Just a quick easy mod to possibly help

DSC00590.jpg

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
I was think this also a few days ago, asi want to reduce the heat from 80 degre to under 50.

im thinking of doing it but dont know what mess to fill it with. i dont realy wana runin the bumper.

Any adobe photoshop guys?

brad1

soud likes a good idea mate. i might give that a try. photo shop ideas will also be good
cheers guys

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
you might be best to cut the inner arch liner too,loosely called the TT mod.
audi TT has a louvred arch liner to let the hot air out,not a hard job to do,been putting it off for ages on my octavia. got brake pads to do soon ,so may get the dremmel out then :D

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
you might be best to cut the inner arch liner too,loosely called the TT mod.
audi TT has a louvred arch liner to let the hot air out,not a hard job to do,been putting it off for ages on my octavia. got brake pads to do soon ,so may get the dremmel out then :D

Thats made want to get the hedge clippers out. :D How much do you cut? is it the same size as the inter cooler?

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
thanks weejase, if the front is restricted as standard does it matter how much holes i create
at the back, does it make a different?

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
no idea to be honest mate,just guess that the more you allow in the front,the more you need to expel out the back.
but be mindfull of the crap that comes off your tyres,holing your SMIC is going to be a pain,but a good excuse to buy a FMIC if you need one

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
no idea to be honest mate,just guess that the more you allow in the front,the more you need to expel out the back.
but be mindfull of the crap that comes off your tyres,holing your SMIC is going to be a pain,but a good excuse to buy a FMIC if you need one

Mmmm :idea: Might as well do it, got nothing to loose.

Has any tried sticking a fan on to intercooler? similer to the radiator fans! that should keep it dead cool! :rolleyes:

sargey

Escaped mental patient
Aug 16, 2006
Weston-super-crapland
sticking a fan isnt as straight forward as it seems, need mounts, somewhere to mount it and to wire it up.

As for the bumper mod all u need to do is cut the rest of the bottom air intake out and sand the edges so its smooth with no frilly bits, easy peasy. The extra TT mod sounds like an extra idea too, would need a grill though to go on it

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
i have taken out my fogs , 1 makes a nice intake for the intercooler and 1 goes straight to my dynatwist via a 3in pipe result:D oh and i have done the arch vent all easy to do and it does make a difference

Any pics? any vag logs before and after? :rolleyes: i thinking of doing this but keep 4getting :doh:

STEVEO@CYMRU

Lucky 7
Oct 19, 2003
CAERPHILLY S.WALES
Visit site
havent got pics or logs but i can feel a difference , dont get anywhere near as much heat soak and the feed to the filter it wicked , did have it going into my airbox which was also good will try and get some piccies

if you go in the standard air box there should be a plastic trumpet looking thing ,with a bit of work it makes a nice airfeed and fits into the holes the fogs were in , tho you do need 2

Last edited:

sargey

Escaped mental patient
Aug 16, 2006
Weston-super-crapland
think it might be a job for a sunday when im off work. Sounds like a plan to me. Just gotta do a search for the Audi TT wheel arch vent part number now!

Cupraloon

The tt/s3 arch liner is only about £20.00, was going to do mine last week, but the supplier messed up and could'nt get it in time...

have a look here ----> http://www.18turbo.com/ttvent.html

or here ---> http://www.abella.net/vw/ttvent.shtml

O/S arch liner part# should be this one 8N0 821 172A, but check it's right, cos i got it off a parts site, and it wasa bit difficult trying make out which side was which.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.