Calling Ibiza to Leon Mk2 FR owners

mr_s81

May 27, 2005
Ballymoney, NI
I'm currently the proud owner of a very tidy 2004 Ibiza FR TDi. I've owned it since new and haven't had any serious problems with the car (which to date has never let me down). I still enjoy the drive, although even on standard 16 inch rims the ride is a little unforgiving. There is a few rattles which however does annoy. :(

Thing is though, I like the Leon FR Tdi. So I went and took one for a test drive yesterday, and although the test drive was quite short, it was long enough for me to realise that it's a quick little car with a ride (which although quite firm) was better than the ibiza (even on 18 inch rims).

Now I'm in a bit of a dilemma because I don't know whether to cash in on my Ibiza now when it's worth roughly 7.5 - 8k at best and go for an ex-demonstrator Leon priced around £16k. :confused: Financially it would probably make more sense just to stick with what I have which is nearly as quick, more economical and still a good drive.

Has anyone on here gone from an Ibiza Sport TDi/FR Tdi to a Leon FR? If so, how have you found the two cars compared? Does the Leon suffer from the same rattles/harsh ride over a distance as the Ibiza? How have you found it to be different/better than the Ibiza?

I have been searching on here and looking for info on the Leon which has been very useful. But I'd be more interested to here from those who have had Ibiza's before and how they've found it to compare.

Thanks

Ian :)

simon34

smoooooooth
May 2, 2006
northampton
Hi ian
Though mine is a sport it shares the same suspension as the fr and my previous car was a 06 fr 1.8t petrol again same suspension spec as the tdi i think it would be fair to say the leon is worlds apart from the ibiza .
the build quality is much better alot less rattles just better put together
The suspension though just as firm is smoother (though a few may disagree)
I dont think i will ever regret changing
simon

mr_s81

May 27, 2005
Ballymoney, NI
Cheers for the quick reply Simon,

How are you finding the fuel consumption of your sport? I notice there's another thread on here about FR fuel consumption which seems to be 30 - mid 40's depending on how you drive it.

Do you find the 140 engine to be quite frugal?

simon34

smoooooooth
May 2, 2006
northampton
No problem matey,
after driving the 1.8t fuel consumption to me is fantastic i'm getting
36mpg average around town school runs etc as soon as i get out of town its upto mid 40's and then on up to 50mpg on long runs cars done 4500 miles so might get better though it is getting remaped next week so will see what its like then.
Still its alot better thatn the 26mpg at best i was getting fomt the ibiza

fivetones

Jul 26, 2005
Cheshire
We changed from an 03 ibiza 130 sport to a fr tdi mk2.

The Leon is a quicker car and handles much better (though the ibiza was old enough to need new dampers etc and the ride height even made the leon look low which is saying something!). I also think the Leon looks much nicer and the interior is nicer than the sport ibiza. There are a few rattles with the interior which I'm not that impressed with though.

I started the FR TDI fuel thread, I think the ibiza was a more frugal vehicle. I was surrpised at how much fuel the 170 engine can consume. It is a bigger 4 door car though (one of the reasons we changed) and obviously more powerful so all that is mostly to be expected.

Given the spec of the your car I'd be tempted to stick with that unless you fancy the change.

Xe

If mpg is important to you get a 1.9 TDi, I get 50-55mpg all the time. Either way whatever you choose, you will be happy. I would trade in now if I was you, if you think the ibiza will drop value quite a lot soon.

fivetones

Jul 26, 2005
Cheshire
Good point about resale. The new ibiza can't be that far off now.

I suspect it'll look a little like the salsa (and tango) concept cars. I'm hijacking your thread now tho :)

mr_s81

May 27, 2005
Ballymoney, NI
If mpg is important to you get a 1.9 TDi, I get 50-55mpg all the time. Either way whatever you choose, you will be happy. I would trade in now if I was you, if you think the ibiza will drop value quite a lot soon.

Thanks for the replies folks.

MPG is quite important to me but not the be all and end all. I don't do much over 10k in the year as I live within 4 miles of work. I know for some this sort of mileage doesn't merit buying a diesel car, but I've always driven diesels and like how they drive. I like having a car with decent poke so buying a petrol car which wasn't reasonably powerful to get decent(ish) mpg wouldn't appeal to me.

1). Is the mpg of the 2.0 TDI (140bhp version) that much different from the 1.9?

2). Is interiors rattles a problem for mark 2 Leons? This is something that would annoy me [:@]

simon34

smoooooooth
May 2, 2006
northampton
Thanks for the replies folks.

MPG is quite important to me but not the be all and end all. I don't do much over 10k in the year as I live within 4 miles of work. I know for some this sort of mileage doesn't merit buying a diesel car, but I've always driven diesels and like how they drive. I like having a car with decent poke so buying a petrol car which wasn't reasonably powerful to get decent(ish) mpg wouldn't appeal to me.

1). Is the mpg of the 2.0 TDI (140bhp version) that much different from the 1.9?

2). Is interiors rattles a problem for mark 2 Leons? This is something that would annoy me [:@]
No interior rattles in mine as yet even with it dropped 40mm on h&r springs

Nathanio

May 26, 2005
West Sussex
www.w1pcs.co.uk
I would rather go the 2.0TDI 140 than the 1.9TD 105BHP. The 140 should give a reasonable (45mpg+) economy and can be remapped to around 190BHP approx.

Personally I think the smart money is the 140DSG Stylance/Sport.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.