car judder

cupraslayer

I want more bhp
Feb 8, 2008
northampton
when driving the car in any gear ive noticed a judder or power lag when putting the foot down. at first i thought it was turbo lag from heat soak , but it has started doing it all the time, plus turbo gauge is saying all is good. ive cleaned the filter and ran redex through the tank so i know its not just gunk. have a feeling its not going to be something good ( or cheep ) and any help would be greatfull. the engine has 53k on the clock and is reg serviced and really really doesnt want to have to make a trip to the stealers!!

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
good it be clutch slip/judder? is your engine revving and speed not picking up; or is it a delay in the revs picking up?

cupraslayer

I want more bhp
Feb 8, 2008
northampton
had a new clutch about 10k ago,would this still do that? its more of a put your foot down and nothing, then its like kick kick ( some times its just the one jud sometimes 2 or 3.) abit like how it would be if you were to tap ur brakes twice while still moving but its when excelarating. if that makes sence.

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
in that case, its not likely to be the clutch. have you tried scanning it with vagcom? might bring up some fault codes and help solve the problem.

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
sounds like one of the cylinders could be misfiring, I know when I had a coilpack go the car juddered like a mo fo, Vag-com should pick something like this up though.

cupraslayer

I want more bhp
Feb 8, 2008
northampton
ayone near me with vag com? volks world in northampton doesnt have it yet ( how they have got this far i dont know ). failing that im always at the mk meet. few beers for the provider.

gulzar

LCR jabba'd
Oct 1, 2007
definately sounds like coil pack problem i had on mine and maf issues ive had on my previous car and latest car. maybe try changing both, most likely these culprits however as mentioned above vag com required to confirm miss firimg and maf logs.

gulzar

LCR jabba'd
Oct 1, 2007
Not to expensive, bout 100 hundred pound for 4. Shop around, try, eurocarparts, gsf or dealers. I recommend replacing all four as if one goes you might find the others will prob go soon. Also mate try maf meter. Its very common to give these syptoms.

gulzar

LCR jabba'd
Oct 1, 2007
Make sure its a genuine part as in bosch. Other makes can sometimes give premature failure.

cupraslayer

I want more bhp
Feb 8, 2008
northampton
cheers for that. not as bad as i thought then. surely it cant be the maf. this would be my 4th one. thats one every year ive had the car. what could keep causing this?

gulzar

LCR jabba'd
Oct 1, 2007
Your welcome, could be oil from uprated air filter causing the maf failure, altho u might be right. I have to add tho i had a maf put on my car but it failed within months of it being changed. As u no by now they are temporamental. Your situation seems more to be leaning towards coil packs mate.

Maf can also be failing due to excess vibration but this is less common. might be the induction kit vibrating due to being loose or something. Usually its uprated air filters with oil coatings in them that cause failure more often.

Last edited:

cupraslayer

I want more bhp
Feb 8, 2008
northampton
i really do hope so. when the mafs went before, the car used to drop revs at idle. it doesnt seem to do this now, but ive had revo since then. would this be stopping the revs from dropping still making the maf faulty?

gulzar

LCR jabba'd
Oct 1, 2007
i really do hope so. when the mafs went before, the car used to drop revs at idle. it doesnt seem to do this now, but ive had revo since then. would this be stopping the revs from dropping still making the maf faulty?

maf will show itself revo or not as far as i no. your idle would stilll be erratic. if idle is static then im leading towards your coil packs being out. altho maf could be failing . i'd personally change the coils and hopfully you'll be jamming.

gulzar

LCR jabba'd
Oct 1, 2007
welcome mate. hope it gets sorted soon for u. good luck getting you buggy running nicely again :lol:

cupraslayer

I want more bhp
Feb 8, 2008
northampton
well think its all sorted. had a fault of 3 pistons misfiring. cleared the faults with vagcom and its been ok since. had a good run down the m1 tonight so fingers crossed its still ok. cant think how those faults would of came up though.

gulzar

LCR jabba'd
Oct 1, 2007
glad to hear it. rather strange but good nonetheless. hope it carries on behaving itself. enjoy mate :lol:

dainott2105

mk1 Cupra and mk2 FR TDI
Nov 4, 2006
swansea
whats the most common coilpacks to go lads. Had a search on here but cant find it, but remember reading that there is a coilpack that is prone to failure. I have a slight mis on the car and sluggish on first start up so bought 2 new coilpacks yesterday (will get the other 2 when im paid), but my copy of vag-com has decided to freeze all the time so cant check for fault codes!

cupraslayer

I want more bhp
Feb 8, 2008
northampton
i was told just get the standard ones from seat mate. ive seen on here that its not worth the money upgrading them, ie- audi tt ones.