Clutch pedal snapped

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
So I’m sitting by the side of the road writing this

My clutch pedal did that thing where the metal snaps and the pedal goes to the floor

What is the work involved in fixing this? Is it just that part or is there going to be complications ?

Now to try and figure out a way home lol...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dazzalcr

Aug 10, 2019
Hi mate, I went through is about a year or so back where pedal went straight down i fought clutch had gone, but their is a upgraded clutch pedal which has better stonger welds on it, I got mine from a vw parts garage it was on ebay and parts fella said its a common issue and that's why this better pedal was done, its a pain in the arse of a job very doable though just very little room to work in as me an my dad found out, I can't find the pedal I'm afraid.

Reactions: Connor H

andycupra

status subject to change
as above. Do-able, but a PITA. I remember I clamped and used some cable ties to hold the spring compressed off of the car to help me fit it. then cut them afterwards.
But also take a look at the metal link running from pedal to clutch and hope its not bent out of shape as sometimes they get bent. Mine was, I spend some time straightening it and it worked fine for the next 3 years or so.

Last edited:

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Didn't know there was a fault with the pedals on these?

I know the old VW Polos suffered from it.
But thought they rectified the problem quickly.
Where in the country ar you?
I know a few recovery drivers.

Rich

Dazzalcr

Aug 10, 2019
as above. Do-able, but a PITA. I remember I used some cable ties to hold the spring compressed to help me fit it. then cut them afterwards.
But also take a look at the metal link running from pedal to clutch and hope its not bent out of shape as sometimes they get bent. Mine was, I spend some time straightening it and it worked fine for the next 3 years or so.

Yeah thats what I did too cable ties to help it back otherwise no chance of getting it in, good old cable ties.

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
Thanks for the replies chaps. Il just rip the seat out for room if need be. At least it’s fairly inexpensive just fiddly. That I can do.

I can see that the rod has just blasted through the pedal, im half a mile from my house and l stuck on someone’s drive and trying to figure out a way to get moving lol

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Could you put pix of the broken pedal up when you get it off please?
May look into taking mine off and sticking a few extra welds on it or seeing if they now do a strengthened pedal.

Rich.

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
May look into taking mine off and sticking a few extra welds on it or seeing if they now do a strengthened pedal.

Rich.

Sure thing mate

Reactions: Rich.T

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex

Rich.

in the meantime this thread has lots of good pictures of the culprit

Dazzalcr

Aug 10, 2019

Hi bud, this is the pedal I used im sure of it, its the same place anyway so maybe ring erm. This is the ebay listing no

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200724-160106_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20200724-160106_eBay.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 133
  • Screenshot_20200724-160106_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20200724-160106_eBay.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 115

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
Hi bud, this is the pedal I used im sure of it, its the same place anyway so maybe ring erm. This is the ebay listing no

Thanks mate but I’m abit skint right now for something that flash. so I just bought a donor pedal from a TT , gonna get someone to weld it for me so this don’t happen again lol

andycupra

status subject to change

had a quick look and it appears to be a very good guide.

Reactions: Connor H

Dazzalcr

Aug 10, 2019
Thanks mate but I’m abit skint right now for something that flash. so I just bought a donor pedal from a TT , gonna get someone to weld it for me so this don’t happen again lol

No problem mate, I must admit it did not cost that much when I bought it lol yeah if you handy with welds im sure you can do same job or better maybe, good luck with the limited room, but as u said I'd defo take seat out for more room down their.

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
No problem mate, I must admit it did not cost that much when I bought it lol yeah if you handy with welds im sure you can do same job or better maybe, good luck with the limited room, but as u said I'd defo take seat out for more room down their.

Definitely, I’ve already got the pedal out completely along with the lower dash. Lucky enough my car is now low enough I can sit on the ground with my legs under the door and reach in

Seat is only a few easy bolts so if I struggle that’ll come out.

Thanks for the advice again peeps

Reactions: Manic172

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Any warning signs when these pedals snap?
Had a wierd one on the way home today.
About 5pm so was v cold out.
Drove the car about 2 miles with no problems then the pedal was stopping then popping up when lifting my foot off between gears.
About the top 3/4 inch at most.
Then a mile or 2 later it was fine again for the rest of the journey home.

Had a LUK 3 piece clutch kit and dmf fitted at a reputable garage about 4 months ago (about 1k miles at a guess) and had no problems with it.
Any ideas?

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
No they literally just bust apart quite dramatically. once the section breaks theres nothing to stop it from going against the footwell.

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Thanks for the reply ?
Ill keep an eye on it for a few days and see how it goes.

Rich

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Happened on my 1.6 many years ago. Was very cold like with you and it kept sitting on the floor. Never did it again after that cold morning though.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members