Cone air filter heat shield with FMIC?

ivo098

Apr 29, 2009
Bulgaria
I was wondering is there a point of installing heat shiled for my air intake (Apexi cone filter) as I have FMIC?
It's logical the the air anyway is going to be cooled down by the bigger intercooler.

JamJay

California Bound
General opinion is that the IC does the job of the cooling, however if the intake air is cold, it will be more compressed than hot air, meaning that the turbo in theory should be able to suck in greater volumes.

Since spacing my filter into the N/S wing, the cone is considerably cooler than when sitting on the MAF housing.

ivo098

Apr 29, 2009
Bulgaria
General opinion is that the IC does the job of the cooling, however if the intake air is cold, it will be more compressed than hot air, meaning that the turbo in theory should be able to suck in greater volumes.

Since spacing my filter into the N/S wing, the cone is considerably cooler than when sitting on the MAF housing.

What's an N/S wing?
Sorry for my English, it's not my mother tongue :)

Any chance of a picture of you filter position?

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
The colder air you supply to the FMIC the colder the air will be supplied to the engine.
Cold air = dense air packed with little oxygens waiting to give you a better burn to you fuel air mix.

So get as much shielding in there as possible

JamJay

California Bound
Near Side wing. which iirc is the drivers side.

offside would be the passenger side.

Flip that round and you've got it right :). Offside (O/S) is drivers side, Nearside (N/S) is passenger side (nearside = nearest the kerb). To put the 1.8T air filter into the driver side wing would be quite a task.

If you look at a 1.8T engine from the front with bonnet open, the filter is on your right, sitting in front of the passenger seat. Obviously for Bulgarians, your steering wheel sits on the other side of the car and you drive on the WRONG side of the road so your filter is in front of the drivers seat.

And yes...what Willie said :D

greesha

Leon 1.8T on steroids
Jan 6, 2009
Slough
I remember that somebody mentioned here that he has done some logs with and without heat shield and there was no difference at all in MAF readings between those two options. ( I'm pretty sure it was RobDon).
Although im unsure if that means that

EDIT:
More i think about that the more I'm actually unsure if that information was relevant to the topic. What would be relevant is inlet temperatures with and without heat shield i guess. I guess it all matters anyway

Last edited:

TubbyTwo

Taking a break from JDM..
Jan 27, 2010
Ipswich, Suffolk
Flip that round and you've got it right :). Offside (O/S) is drivers side, Nearside (N/S) is passenger side (nearside = nearest the kerb). To put the 1.8T air filter into the driver side wing would be quite a task.

If you look at a 1.8T engine from the front with bonnet open, the filter is on your right, sitting in front of the passenger seat. Obviously for Bulgarians, your steering wheel sits on the other side of the car and you drive on the WRONG side of the road so your filter is in front of the drivers seat.

And yes...what Willie said :D

homer-doh.jpg

:headhurt::doh:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.