Coolant temp sensor/sender Ibiza cupra mk3

Apr 28, 2003
??????????
Visit site
Done a search (Mork) and can find info on Tdi's but not on the mk3 cupra. Today i noticed the temp guage (water temp) was on min when it should have been climbing up. All of a sudden it shot to the right temp roughly in the middle and then dropped down as if it had its voltage dropped/circuit broken. 1 min later went back to normal. Anyone know where the actual sensor is situated on the Ibiza mk3 cupra just so i can check for anything silly like a loose connection.

Does the the sensor on top of the coolant bottle check amount and temp, or is the one for the temp in another place. Cheers for any help.

Last edited:

RichardBW

Jan 9, 2002
Leamington Spa
Temp sensor is at the gearbox end of the engine, mounted in a pipe block/thermostat housing. Its probably 4 pin green or yellow plastic topped. It is a typical failure during cold weather. My old one had 2 replaced within 3 years warranty. Your symptoms sound exactly the same as my experiences

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
easy to find - should be clipped in with one of those crap circlip style things that holds the FPR on too

Apr 28, 2003
??????????
Visit site
Nice one, its working now but the car has been stood still in the garage for quite a few days without ever being moved. I am having lots of daft little faults at the moment mainly small electrical ones. The cars now on 44k and is 3.5 years old so things will start to fail. Next one will be the clutch/diff. And i keep hearing about waterpump failures a lot as well. I will just buy a new sensor and see what happens. On a plus side the car has never felt quicker.

RichardBW

Jan 9, 2002
Leamington Spa
As Mork says, it is secured by a crappy horseshoe type clip but its worse than the fpr one due to being plastic as apposed to a metal circlip. Change as soon as possible if I were you with the spec of this car. A standard car can become dangerous to run with dodgy engine temp sensor as it effects the ECU mapping. IE will over or under fuel if seeing the engine is actually at an incorrect temp. Can cause bore washing/oil contamination/lack of power/etc if run for too long in this state.

RichardBW

Jan 9, 2002
Leamington Spa
one electrical connector to remove, one plastic circlip, pull out sensor, loose a bit of coolant, fit new sensor (making sure it has a rubber seal and that the old one is still attached to the old sensor and not stuck in place), refit circlip and electrical connector, top up coolant. Job done in about 60 seconds. Dont forget to close bonnet. ; )

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
is that the gear shift linkage on the right of the shot? i have been looking in this area,not hard enough by the sound of it,mind you thers even more plastic stuck in the bloody way.
cheers for the pic

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I'll go looking on my girlfriends in the am, when it's light & check. it'll be the only sensor poking into a coolant hose if that helps.

4 wires going into it

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
just need to remove the bit of placcy thats obscuring it. the bit thats on the right of the engine under where the engine cover used to sit,same big placcy screws holding it in

Apr 28, 2003
??????????
Visit site
Heres a pic from a little further out. U can see the fpr, and easily recognise loads of reference points. As long as i have circled the correct part its easy to find and get at.

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
spot on,it was the alloy pipe that threw me ,not got one of them,should be in the same place on my vrs though ;)

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
must check mine with skoda,mines green,and nothing to suggest its been changed,auq engine ko3s as stock turbo,may be something different on the cooling side??maybe different sensor????

chriskaven

Feb 25, 2002
Essex
Visit site
My temperature warning light (with annoying beeping) keeps activating every now and then on cold starts. Is this likely to be a fault of the coolant temperature sensor also?? After a few miles it goes out. The temperature gauge works fine.

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
my octavia splutters on start up,even worse the more electrics you use,goes completely when warm

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.