Correct mpg on LCR??

Fien

Mar 11, 2010
Chester
I appologise in advance for starting a new thread on mpg but have just got my car and was curious about it.

I've had the car just over a week and about 300 miles (not a lot i know) but have averaged about mid 20's. I'm not that bothered about this as i'm going to be doing alot of city driving so was kind of expecting it.

the issue i've got is that i've done 3 or 4 trips now of about 40 miles on pretty much all motorway. stayed at a constant speed between 70-80 without traffic but only managed an mpg of 28! this is the trip computer reading for average of the journey. didnt do any excessive accelerating and had an empty car.

i've checked the tyre pressures and they were fine, is there anything else i can check? :confused:

i should "officially" be getting a combined mpg of 31 so would have expected to be getting around the mid 30's on those type of runs!

Bosh 225

ive got a standard cupra and mines about the same in the city and about 32 on the motorway

steve8582

I've a standard LCR 225 and I average 25 in town and 35 mpg on longer runs.

WILCEY_FR

mpgs

I appologise in advance for starting a new thread on mpg but have just got my car and was curious about it.

I've had the car just over a week and about 300 miles (not a lot i know) but have averaged about mid 20's. I'm not that bothered about this as i'm going to be doing alot of city driving so was kind of expecting it.

the issue i've got is that i've done 3 or 4 trips now of about 40 miles on pretty much all motorway. stayed at a constant speed between 70-80 without traffic but only managed an mpg of 28! this is the trip computer reading for average of the journey. didnt do any excessive accelerating and had an empty car.

i've checked the tyre pressures and they were fine, is there anything else i can check? :confused:

i should "officially" be getting a combined mpg of 31 so would have expected to be getting around the mid 30's on those type of runs!

I know the feeling. I have a remapped ibiza fr petrol and get 33 on motorway no matter what I do.

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
I filled up 4 weeks ago right to the top and ive almost used it all and averaged 23.1mpg for short journeys and country road blats. When on long motorway trips im usually getting around 33-34 mpg and thats just feathering the throttle. id say 5th for 70ish and 6th for 85+ on private roads of course. Maybe it just needs a good service iridium plugs, fuel/oil/air filters etc and a good run through with tesco's finest or maybe the MAF is playing up

Last edited:

lcrb

Aug 4, 2008
lanarkshire
I've been trying to get highest mpg I can for the last week. I managed 36mpg on a 13mile trip home from work in glasgow. Driving like a granny to be fair. thats on a standard lcr.

andycupra

status subject to change
its funny, we get alot of replies saying people get 35mpg on motorways, yet overall very few get over 30mpg.

seems to be 27/28 mpg is typical of those on this forum.

To get 30mpg from a tank if you fill up a little after the light coming on you need to have done 350/360miles+ - not many achieve this. I think most people think they get more mpg than they actually do.

Last edited:

speedinsaxo

Jun 7, 2003
Visit site
I usually see about 350 miles to a tank in my LCR.
I have done 475 though purely motorway at 70mph.

It makes a big difference doing smaller stop/start journeys rather than longer A road / motorway ones.

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
my non-mapped LCR gets 26/27mpg daily drive 2 mile trip to work, urban/city driving, feathered throttle..

around 36/37mpg just about on the motorway, very gently in 6th just cruising along.

I run the car on v-power only, change filters regularly and only recently had new quatum oil & oil filter put in(so you could say it's running as efficiently as can be) Also a new forge 007p can help increase your mpg as I found with mine - not as in a 15mpg increase etc! ;) but I'll get an extra 2/3mpg out of her than when I bought this current LCR (3 months ago)

I've found, with having owned 2 LCR's now, that using Shell v-power makes a hell of a difference for me. Much smoother if you use it tank after tank, and when I have had to put something else in, the car felt sluggish :(

For the power the engine has, I think my mpg is pretty good and I wouldn't chop it in for a diesel tbh. I can commute to work on 10-15 quid of v-power a week, sometimes spread over 6 days.

Deleted member 43482

Dont forget outside temp will have an effect on MPG aswell, during the coldest part of winter i was just about getting 28 on my trip to work now its warming up slightly im getting a good 31/32.

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
It makes a big difference doing smaller stop/start journeys rather than longer A road / motorway ones.

This is true, if anyone wants to see how much, go on a drive (could do this on way to work as long as traffic etc is pretty consistent day-to-day) and check your mpg, then do the same drive again, but reset your tripcomputer after 5 mins of driving when the engine has warmed up....

When I come to work (19miles, barely any rush hour traffic, steady away 50-70 speeds on A roads) I can just about manage 37-38mpg if I'm being really careful... if I reset the trip after first 5 mins I can get over 42mpg! These engines must absolutely drink when they're cold!

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Lots of variables.

Fuel
Temperature
Engine oil grade
Tyre pressure

If your engine oil is a ?w/40 then switching to a ?w/30 will be more economic.

Fien

Mar 11, 2010
Chester
Car is due a service next mont so hopefully a change in oil and filter should help. Also going to check the air filter. The car has a k&n sticker in the window but a standard air filter which makes me think they've changed it before selling it!

Stardard 210 LCR and we're getting give or take 325mi from a tank (£66 to fill the last time :( )

But it's the second car, so not too bothered, GF uses it to go to work (10mi round trip) if I've got the other car. But then at the weekends you feel the need for a bit of speed :D

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.