Correct Tyre Specification

Shadders

Apr 14, 2009
Sandy
Hi guys

I need to get some new tyres for front of my car, 2.0Tdi Sport 225/45/17.

Looking at Goodyear F1 Assymetric. I just wanted to check if I need to go with the 'high load' 94Y or if standard 91Y are OK? I ask because when inflated to manufacturers spec of 32psi look very 'squashed'.
Also, can someone confirm correct tyre pressures as I have same problem as others on here with high wear in middle of front tyres. I thought this is normally due to overinflation but normally run with 32/33psi.

I also have the tyre whine. I had wheel alignment done but can't afford to change all 4 tyres at present so hope at least these 2 will help!

Also just found nail in one of the fronts this morning so will need to get done as soon as!
:help:
Any help will be good

Thanks

danwfr

Feb 21, 2008
Tredegar, south wales
normaly there will be a sticker inside your fuel filler flap or on the inside of your door to tell you the correct pressure, my driver side tyes look squashed when i park by my house but i put that down to being on a slope, high wear on the middle of the tyre is down to over inflation. hope this helps

Shadders

Apr 14, 2009
Sandy
Thanks for the reply.

I had been running recommended pressures as per sticker which is 32psi. Did this for long time but didn't feel right.

Increased by 1psi to 33 which seemed better. Surely small increse like that wouldn't affect the wear pattern that much would it?

GrahameS

Oct 4, 2003
Coventry
Visit site
I run Goodyear Eagle F1s on my Leon and regularly check the tyre pressures on mine and they are never over-inflated in line with the recommended pressures, yet they have still higher wear in the middle of the tyre..

Weird..

Shadders

Apr 14, 2009
Sandy
Tell me about it!

Do you also suffer from the wearing on the inside of rear tyres & the subsequent noise problems a lot of us have been affected with?

I've just fitted the new Goodyear Assymetrics on the rear & moved the old F1's to the front. Back seems very quiet but now fronts feel like driving on flat sided tyres!

Hopefully when I can afford to put new ones on the front will be OK finally!

GrahameS

Oct 4, 2003
Coventry
Visit site
Tell me about it!

Do you also suffer from the wearing on the inside of rear tyres & the subsequent noise problems a lot of us have been affected with?

I've just fitted the new Goodyear Assymetrics on the rear & moved the old F1's to the front. Back seems very quiet but now fronts feel like driving on flat sided tyres!

Hopefully when I can afford to put new ones on the front will be OK finally!

Well, the fronts have worn in line with my previous posts, the rear drivers side doesn't seem so bad, but the rear passenger side has worn very strangely, it has a number of patches (roughly about 4" diameter) in certain areas around the circumference of the tyre, some towards the outside, some towards the inside, where the tread is on the wear markers , but the rest of the tyre has almost 6mm tread depth..

Makes the car sound like a wheel bearing has gone.. Cant wait to get them off!! Fortunately they will need replacing soon.

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
I used to have my Eagle F1s at 45psi, recommended is 33 I think.

Only slightly more wear in the middle, and I mean slight. There's more difference between front left and right tyres, presumably from spending more time turning right going around roundabouts.

Shadders

Apr 14, 2009
Sandy
I used to have my Eagle F1s at 45psi, recommended is 33 I think.

Only slightly more wear in the middle, and I mean slight. There's more difference between front left and right tyres, presumably from spending more time turning right going around roundabouts.

You were runnig at 45psi!?
Why so high when Seat state 32psi at front for Sport 2.0TDi with 225/45/17's:confused:?

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
Reduced fuel comsumption.

Also I went to Leeds Festival which is why the backs were so high.

Pretty rough over ride though.

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
Originally I was meant to be taking 4 passengers, but after loading the car we could squeeze one person in the back with things on their knees.

Boot was loaded from top to bottom with no space at all, right over back seats and into rear footwells.

Couldn't fit my finger between the wheels and bodywork even before people were in it.

:D

Shadders

Apr 14, 2009
Sandy
I suppose that's one of lowering your car!! Not sure if will improve the handling!

I'll just have to keep my eye on these new tyres & see what happens. Am running recommended pressures all round, 32 front & 29 rear.

I don't normally carry many passengers (nobby no mates!) but do play golf which normally takes up most of the boot.

I can't wait to replace the front tyres as already fed up with the 'rumbling' feel. Hopefully once this is done she should be as good as new!

Cheers:)

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
Yeh not the best handling, and pretty scary down the mud track which raises in the middle. Still pulled fine with the deisel though :)

I like new tyres, just don't like paying for em!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.