cupra connect ?

Sep 29, 2021
Thanks. So that's around 30GB per month. the first year free, from the second to payment. if necessary I will use my iliad wifi router. Hello

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
It is idiotic that you cannot replace the eSim - it is exactly for that purpose it exists! You can piggy back it onto the provider for your phone connection for a small fee - they just need to enable the settings to do it.

My Samsung watch also has an eSIM and I can use any provider I wish - I think it is a matter of time until this is allowed on the car too.

Reactions: romster1

Marck

Formentor 1.4 e-hybrid DSG
Jun 19, 2021
It is idiotic that you cannot replace the eSim - it is exactly for that purpose it exists! You can piggy back it onto the provider for your phone connection for a small fee - they just need to enable the settings to do it.

My Samsung watch also has an eSIM and I can use any provider I wish - I think it is a matter of time until this is allowed on the car too.
is not so easy, because the data content and privacy, SEAT/CUPRA may allow access to their servers only thru a trusted data line, not with third party providers, unless they have to build a tunnel, thus must be THEIR connectivity straight to THEIR servers, otherwise will lack on security
I hope it makes sense

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
is not so easy, because the data content and privacy, SEAT/CUPRA may allow access to their servers only thru a trusted data line, not with third party providers, unless they have to build a tunnel, thus must be THEIR connectivity straight to THEIR servers, otherwise will lack on security
I hope it makes sense
Sorry, but I don't buy that - mind you, you can still use all the same services via the WiFi hotspot in your mobile, so ...your theory doesn't apply ;)

Marck

Jun 19, 2021
Sorry, but I don't buy that - mind you, you can still use all the same services via the WiFi hotspot in your mobile, so ...your theory doesn't apply ;)
not sure what version you have, but mine do not works with my hotspot, I guess you're right, but I'm happy of this service, besides do not understand why buy a brand and thus blame it afterwards ? 🙃

Sep 29, 2021
not sure what version you have, but mine do not works with my hotspot, I guess you're right, but I'm happy of this service, besides do not understand why buy a brand and thus blame it afterwards ? 🙃
Hi, why I would like to replace the esim Cupra with mine depends on the fact that Cupra Italia cannot tell me how many GB per month I have. it's disarming

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
I think that part of the confusion about this whole thing is that Cupra Connect is NOT the same thing as the eSIM.

In other words, the Cupra Connect is provided by Seat and has a subscription and then the eSIM is provided by a 3rd party and has a different subscription.

Cupra Connect subscription enables the services, eSIM enables connectivity, but there are other options to get the connectivity, for instance, a WiFi-hotspot.

Sep 29, 2021
I think that part of the confusion about this whole thing is that Cupra Connect is NOT the same thing as the eSIM.

In other words, the Cupra Connect is provided by Seat and has a subscription and then the eSIM is provided by a 3rd party and has a different subscription.

Cupra Connect subscription enables the services, eSIM enables connectivity, but there are other options to get the connectivity, for instance, a WiFi-hotspot.
I understand what you mean. Cupra connect is a service. but it relies on the same esim of the wifi hotspot. what they have not been able to tell me is how much GB monthly. and if I can change esim.

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
The company that provides the eSim is Cubic telecom and their rates vary from country to country.

Overall, they are expensive and have quite low data caps, technically making the service unusable for anything else than, well, checking if the car is locked or unlocked and just reports.

I would be worried about downloading updates using the eSim since they would very quickly take the data package over the limit.

Sep 29, 2021
The company that provides the eSim is Cubic telecom and their rates vary from country to country.

Overall, they are expensive and have quite low data caps, technically making the service unusable for anything else than, well, checking if the car is locked or unlocked and just reports.

I would be worried about downloading updates using the eSim since they would very quickly take the data package over the limit.
Is truly a great utility service. just to know where you have the car, heat it remotely, update the navigator. really satisfied 😂😂😂

Sep 29, 2021
Heat it remotely only works for hybrids.

Updates are easily multi-gigs in size, with a low cap of data per month, running one update would potentially use all your data or put you beyond the data limit
this is not WiFi hotspot it is a big fake. today everything is cracked, ECU PC tablet phones. possible it is not possible to insert a new esim?

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
The eSim is not a physical SIM, there is no UI to make changes to it.

From a pure tech perspective, and just to entertain your possibility:

- You would need direct access to the actual chip that contains the eSim information
- you would need a connector to be able to read the data
- you would need the key to decrypt the data you read
- you would need to figure out where information related to the eSim is stored, in which format and replace it with the data for a different eSim
- you would need to encrypt it again with the correct key and correct checksum
- you would need to write it back directly to the chip
-....you would need to hope the stars all aligned and this actually worked :)

So, no. Unless VAG actually makes a change to the car software and adds in the UI the options to choose a different eSim provider, we are stuck with that Cubic telecom, who since they have exclusivity contract, can charge whatever they wish, as they do - the data rates are pretty low and if you download some updates or stream some music via the car or if you fall into the trap of using the car as a WiFi hotspot, those will all eat your data in no time.

I have seen the prices and data caps for Finland (a country where data caps were never a thing and still aren't...) and I just said "Thanks but no thanks!"

For those prices, I can get a dedicated mobile connection and WiFi hotspot modem from my provider, wire it somewhere out of sight inside the car and presto! Now I have internet to use the Cupra connect subscription with :)
.... something that I still need to live with a few months longer before I make up my mind do I want it or not.
As of now, and since I don't obviously think I do, looks like not.

....but again, if you have the hybrid, then you have a much bigger use case to justify it - I don't ;)

Reactions: Tell

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
You can check the Cubic prices from this link:

Apparently for the UK the data packages are a bit bigger.

Sep 29, 2021
The eSim is not a physical SIM, there is no UI to make changes to it.

From a pure tech perspective, and just to entertain your possibility:

- You would need direct access to the actual chip that contains the eSim information
- you would need a connector to be able to read the data
- you would need the key to decrypt the data you read
- you would need to figure out where information related to the eSim is stored, in which format and replace it with the data for a different eSim
- you would need to encrypt it again with the correct key and correct checksum
- you would need to write it back directly to the chip
-....you would need to hope the stars all aligned and this actually worked :)

So, no. Unless VAG actually makes a change to the car software and adds in the UI the options to choose a different eSim provider, we are stuck with that Cubic telecom, who since they have exclusivity contract, can charge whatever they wish, as they do - the data rates are pretty low and if you download some updates or stream some music via the car or if you fall into the trap of using the car as a WiFi hotspot, those will all eat your data in no time.

I have seen the prices and data caps for Finland (a country where data caps were never a thing and still aren't...) and I just said "Thanks but no thanks!"

For those prices, I can get a dedicated mobile connection and WiFi hotspot modem from my provider, wire it somewhere out of sight inside the car and presto! Now I have internet to use the Cupra connect subscription with :)
.... something that I still need to live with a few months longer before I make up my mind do I want it or not.
As of now, and since I don't obviously think I do, looks like not.

....but again, if you have the hybrid, then you have a much bigger use case to justify it - I don't ;)
it's all very interesting, but too complicated. I thought about continuing to use the Netgear WiFi router with iliad 120 GB. so I'm calm. thanks for the clear explanation.

romster1

Nov 26, 2016
W London
this could be useful for a couple of thing i recon 1 to preheat the car while its still charging so that there would be lessdrain on the hybrid battery in winter.
2. the street charging point opposite my house charged for the time the car is connected and in thier charging bay so I'll be able to use the app to check if its fully charged and can go out and disconnect the charger and therefore not get continually charged whilst in the bay and not drawing any power from the charger

Marck

Jun 19, 2021
this could be useful for a couple of thing i recon 1 to preheat the car while its still charging so that there would be lessdrain on the hybrid battery in winter.
2. the street charging point opposite my house charged for the time the car is connected and in thier charging bay so I'll be able to use the app to check if its fully charged and can go out and disconnect the charger and therefore not get continually charged whilst in the bay and not drawing any power from the charger
you know that at point #2 you can create scheduled window timing for charging ? e.g. in my case, I charge my car only from 23:30 to 6:00 from Mon to Fri
this window time is the cheaper bill cost applied by local energy supplier

romster1

Nov 26, 2016
W London
you know that at point #2 you can create scheduled window timing for charging ? e.g. in my case, I charge my car only from 23:30 to 6:00 from Mon to Fri
this window time is the cheaper bill cost applied by local energy supplier
I havent got a drive so cant get a charger fitted so will be using the on street charging point which is opposite my house.

Marck

Jun 19, 2021
I havent got a drive so cant get a charger fitted so will be using the on street charging point which is opposite my house.
yeah I understand that, but you can set your window timing for making reaady re-charge having no rush to going there to disconnect, you can set it on https://my.seat/portal/ you can also pre-heat your car, see screenshots for pre-heat is another command on dashboard

1634963715491.png
1634963751867.png
1634963773198.png
1634963800567.png

I have the same a point 150 mt from my apartment which is also total free of cost, but... I'd like to use my private-box :) thanks to have shared your thoughts

Last edited:
Reactions: romster1
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.