Cupra front bumper on without a fmic

RichIbizaSport

Says Bye! x
Apr 29, 2007
Hull
www.facebook.com
Hey guys. Dont worry, ive used the search function extensively, but still i dont quite have the answer im looking for....

I've just bought a pre-face lift mk4 sport (pd130), its been remapped to approx (according to the company!) 180 bhp.

The front bumper is already cracked so i need to replace it anyway. Ive though long and hard about the facelift bumper but i still think the cupra bumper looks way better!

So..... i want to fit a cupra front bumper to it! I know i dont have a fmic (i really cannot afford around £700!).

Ive seen people leave the foglight cover off in an attempt to aid cooling. But has anyone attempted to replace the fog lights with air ducting directly to the smic? would i be able to route the ducting to it? I'd be planning to mould/fill and spray the foglight cover and connect it directly to the smic

Now im not quite sure where the smic is

is it this? :

smicif9.jpg

Looking at the cupra bumper:

35607beasteditww2.jpg

whats that weird square solid plastic bit behind the grill? could i cut/drill that out?

Id also plan to do a form of "pikey mod" to the arch liner:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/fabia/pikey-mod-no-2-intercooler-has-airflow/47646/?highlight=wheel+arch

Also, if possible i'd vent the O/S foglight as well

Would it be possilbe to have suffcient cooling with venting directly to the smic? or is the design simply not upto the job?

Sisson

Club member
Aug 18, 2005
Derbyshire
it still wouldnt get enough cooling.

Its **** when standard, mine used to hit 90 degrees with the standard bumper and no foglight

Not only was it alot slower, it would also regularly go into limp mode due to excessive heat.

With a Cupra bumper it would be even worse.

The Cupra's have a huge FMIC so they can get away with it.

If your gonna do it, get a FMIC aswell,

gazjones

get front mounted intercooler, especailly as summer is coming it will pull back so much, ive got forge one for sale and not 700 quid. there really is no point cutting corners on this

Tall-Paul

Previously ph2858 :D
Nov 12, 2006
Manchester and Preston
I had cupra bumpers on my 130pd and have just fitted a seat sport fmic and i can say it is definately needed, the difference it makes it amazin! The seat sport 1 is alot bigger than the forge and is also cheaper.

RichIbizaSport

Says Bye! x
Apr 29, 2007
Hull
www.facebook.com
not meaning to be rude but ive decided that i really cant afford the fmic, so thats not an option! So stop telling me to do that :p . To be fair i really dont care too much about performance, id much rather have decent miles to the gallon :D

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
yes the SMIC is circled in the top pic

no idea about the cupra bumper thingy

didn't know the facelift fr bumper was much different from the cupra one looks wise although it is SMIC friendly

gazjones

very easy bolts around wheel arch 4 under the bonnet and two in the grill area in line with headlights then peel it off from each end. and disconnect fogs and temp sender

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
You can take alot of the front bumper off, including the plastic bit on the left, but I think you would be better off with an FR facelift. Possibly a bit of custom mesh would do... I tried this, but didnt quite work to my taste.

DSC00930.jpg

DSC00935.jpg

Might look better in a different coulour, with a LCR splitter.

REDCUPRA.jpg
, although you wouldnt have the nice FMIC there.

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
No there's not a crash bar, I tried it and the front looked poo, but that was before I got the LCR splitter which I think would make such a difference.

I'll let someone else try though ;)

REDCUPRA-CB.jpg

What I mocked it upto look like ages ago. (using paint ;) )

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
I had cupra bumpers on my 130pd and have just fitted a seat sport fmic and i can say it is definately needed, the difference it makes it amazin! The seat sport 1 is alot bigger than the forge and is also cheaper.

How much is the Seat Sport fmic? I didn't realise they did one....just looked on seat.co.uk and can't find anything on there...