Cupra rocks at Castle Combe!

jcp

Dec 18, 2008
Herts
This thread started out as a genuinely interesting one- a forum member actually giving it a go on track should it now be re-titled "willy wavers" I know someone with a bigger one than you do? I would be interested to hear more from people who have got out and tried their hand at track days. I have seen a piture of a car with 1390 hp.....

Al

Aug 29, 2005
DSC_4487.jpg

DSC_4458.jpg

DSC_4455.jpg

This was with Pro Kit springs and before black OEM wheels and latterly, lightweight wheels and some other bits were done - this was taken over a year ago. Lapped a figure of 8 track in 68 seconds which was as quick as a 340R Lotus and an Exige, and quicker than several Evos, stripped VR6, most Scoobies, but slower than a 205, 106 and big bhp Evos. There is no line you can draw as to say how "quick" a car is although I am confident I would beat the 68 seconds in the same car now.

Record of the day was a 61 second lap in a works 22B with 600bhp. The 205 made 65 seconds, the 106 66 seconds and FQ300's and the like over 70 seconds.

P1000817noplate.jpg

28022009155.jpg

Last edited:

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
Quite a debate over Evo v Cupra.

My experiences suggest that Evo,s aren,t all their cracked up to be. Have come across several whilst my K1 has been in different states of tune on my local private road:D. I ran up against a particular Evo 340 when running just a remap (310bhp) and rolling from 50... it quickly put 5 or 6 car lengths into me. It had the obligatory drainpipe zorst but i don,t know if it was mapped. However the same car was revisited recently, and from 30... through the gears i had to come off the throttle a couple of times to avoid ramming him. You must also remember that these things ( again in my experience) seem to stop dead just over 150... so you always get to wave goodbye as you pass bye.

ps Hope the mods don,t delete this

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Quite a debate over Evo v Cupra.

My experiences suggest that Evo,s aren,t all their cracked up to be. Have come across several whilst my K1 has been in different states of tune on my local private road:D. I ran up against a particular Evo 340 when running just a remap (310bhp) and rolling from 50... it quickly put 5 or 6 car lengths into me. It had the obligatory drainpipe zorst but i don,t know if it was mapped. However the same car was revisited recently, and from 30... through the gears i had to come off the throttle a couple of times to avoid ramming him. You must also remember that these things ( again in my experience) seem to stop dead just over 150... so you always get to wave goodbye as you pass bye.

ps Hope the mods don,t delete this

Thats the thing though lad - you just never know whats been done to an Evo. As standard, power delivered to the wheels is not as good as the fly bhp figure due to transmission losses. I have had several encounters of my own like you with similar results, but tuned, they are a different kettle of fish - trust me ;)

Has anyone else put their Cupra on the track? Here is a clip of me vs Owen - Owen mapped and me stock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU0Zw-pW26E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC04zdIywbI&feature=related

Not sure if anyone else has managed 14.3 in a stock Cupra other than me so far?

Last edited:

Poverty

Mines done a few runs down the pod just after getting it. Didnt get near 14.3 but my launches were really poor. Have now learnt what the trick is to get a good reaction time launch at the pod on public days. First car to line up is always at an advantage.

Cupras good for a indicated 170mph on the limiter apparently. And no it wasnt me or my car ;)

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
Thats the thing though lad - you just never know whats been done to an Evo. As standard, power delivered to the wheels is not as good as the fly bhp figure due to transmission losses. I have had several encounters of my own like you with similar results, but tuned, they are a different kettle of fish - trust me ;)

I have been behind "tuned" Evo,s in the twisties and from my point of view all they seem to do is tie themselves in knots and throw a load of unburnt fuel/smoke clouds at you. Yes they do eventually get away a bit but not as convincingly as you would expect of a 4wd supercar. Granted, in the wet i would rather be in the Mitzi. I think when you look at the running/insurance/service costs of a nice Evo it really makes you appreciate the potential of our little Cupra,s. I would still have one for a weekend car if finances allowed as they are one of the sexiest cars on the road.

Cupraken

Southwest Stealth
Apr 10, 2009
Street, Somerset
Thanks for the comment jcp, I just wanted to share my experience with the forum members about a great day out, not start a full blown discussion(?) on whether a Cupra is faster than a Scoobie/Evo ! I think it's important to note that just owning a fast car is irrelavant if you can't drive it to its limits, on the day I was out I don't think there were many of those, that not being a slight on the other drivers, in fact my step-son was out there in a standard WRX and he was lapping 10 seconds slower than me because he was being cautious as it was his first time on track!

jcp

Dec 18, 2008
Herts
Cupraken- I enjoy the kind of thread you started but despair of the kind of tales told by Corsa and Saxo owners as you can never tell in tales of road encounters who was trying as hard as possible and fear that people are just driving like cocks and taking risks that others in potentially quicker cars find unreasonable. On track then can extend their cars as far as they can or dare with the only stakes being their wallets and pride. My Fr is quick,
IMG_0837.jpg

and might well outrun a zonda in the local high street or country lane- all it would prove is a wilingness to take more chances. Thank you and others who have shown what their cars are capable of doing in sane conditions but I'm sorry to say that road racing is not only illegal but brings all quick car driving into doubt. My speed was achieved outside the UK and without chasing or being chased by anyone.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members