Cupra spoiler brake light

wackyracer

Wackyracer
May 12, 2007
Southampton
Hi, my brake light in nthe spoiler of my mk1 cupra has died and so i have taken it out as it came up on mot. Now i don't want to fork out loads of money at seat and so thought i could just get a bog standard one and attach it inside rear window ( where else?!!). However what i need to know is can you geta blanking plate to fit in nthe spoiler where the old one went? If not then i may have to replace it as looks naff!

edmong

GHE Tuning
Aug 15, 2007
Plymouth, Devon
Hi, my brake light in nthe spoiler of my mk1 cupra has died and so i have taken it out as it came up on mot. Now i don't want to fork out loads of money at seat and so thought i could just get a bog standard one and attach it inside rear window ( where else?!!). However what i need to know is can you geta blanking plate to fit in nthe spoiler where the old one went? If not then i may have to replace it as looks naff!

How did it fail?

The tester can only fail it if it was not working and he could see the wiring going directly to it, which you cannot. Think you should go back to the garage in question and tell them what you know.

If he/she say's that 'thats the wiring there', reply by saying thats the rear wash/wipe or heated rear screen.

Let me know the outcome wacky.

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
So is it not an instant failure if its not got a 3rd brake light that works? surely thats just same as a normal rear light that you can't see the wiring to either......

Not arguing just trying to understand a bit more :)

edmong

GHE Tuning
Aug 15, 2007
Plymouth, Devon
So is it not an instant failure if its not got a 3rd brake light that works? surely thats just same as a normal rear light that you can't see the wiring to either......

Not arguing just trying to understand a bit more :)

me neither buddy:D

No rear lights have to have a matched pair on either side marking out the rear of vehicle. The 3rd brake light used to be an option with car manufacturers and when you purchased the option they would connect it up or leave it disconnected. So there where vehicles driving around with 3rd brake lights fitted but not working hence why the part in the MOT states clearly see wiring.

Is that any clearer for you adam?:)

Jan 22, 2007
some may say lala land....
when mine stopped working, i asked the garage this and also if it was possible for police to pull me for none working rear light and they said no to both
3rd / high level rear light is not an mot failure as is classed as an option therefore police cannot tell you off (ticket) but might inform you it has failed (nice, but rare police)

this has also come up a few times as a topic - can never remember outcome but always seem to go on with nothing definite

[edit]
was typing this as ed posted
[/edit]

edmong

GHE Tuning
Aug 15, 2007
Plymouth, Devon
I administer the MOT scheme on behalf of the Secretary of State. Its my job to try and know everything there is to know regarding the MOT. I try and help my fellow Cupra owners in anyway I can which is why I said for wacky to take it back to the garage who MOT'd it.

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
me neither buddy:D

No rear lights have to have a matched pair on either side marking out the rear of vehicle. The 3rd brake light used to be an option with car manufacturers and when you purchased the option they would connect it up or leave it disconnected. So there where vehicles driving around with 3rd brake lights fitted but not working hence why the part in the MOT states clearly see wiring.

Is that any clearer for you adam?:)

yep thanks very much for explianing :)

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
anything relevant to pre 60 cars that i can get my hands on really - just want to make sure i'm exploiting sorry i mean following regulations correctly :):)

i gather some cars can run one tail light no brakes but if indicators need 2 and therfore need brakelamps and so on - so many configs to think about

emissions and noise exhaust wise if i remember right there is no measured co test

edmong

GHE Tuning
Aug 15, 2007
Plymouth, Devon
anything relevant to pre 60 cars that i can get my hands on really - just want to make sure i'm exploiting sorry i mean following regulations correctly :):)

i gather some cars can run one tail light no brakes but if indicators need 2 and therfore need brakelamps and so on - so many configs to think about

emissions and noise exhaust wise if i remember right there is no measured co test

Im sure I can sort something out, exploitation is one of my fortes!;)

exhaust noise is the same as now but the emission test is just visual, pre 1971 if I remember rightly.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Can of worms here but.
If you could help with MOT questions it would be great.

So

I have stripped my car interior out as it's a track/road car.
I'm planning on fitting harnesses but have been told the racing type of harnesses are not able to pass MOT, you need to have the OEM seat belt buckle type. These are usually sub standard ones that are cheap assed. Is there a reg that covers this and how can I get away without having to change harnesses for MOT.
Whats the reg regarding a stripped out car?
Like do you have to have a dash board?
Or as long as you have all the relevant switch gear its okay?
What about wing mirrors? How many do you need and how small can they be?
What about the boot?
Does it have to be openable on a my car? Can I weld it up?
Same with the rear passengers doors, can these be welded up?
When can I remove my air bags? Take it it's okay to remove these when harnesses are fitted?

Does my car have to be able to carry a spare wheel? I know the MK2 Leon Cupra's come with a can of tyre weld and a pump. Do you have to carry something like this?
What about front lights?
I'm thinking about using the side light/head light as an induction port. Can I get away with this?

This is for my LCR, bet you wish you hadn't offered now, lol

wackyracer

Wackyracer
May 12, 2007
Southampton
How did it fail?

The tester can only fail it if it was not working and he could see the wiring going directly to it, which you cannot. Think you should go back to the garage in question and tell them what you know.

If he/she say's that 'thats the wiring there', reply by saying thats the rear wash/wipe or heated rear screen.

Let me know the outcome wacky.

Thx everyone for info, i will inform the garage of what has been said, especially as it was a main dealer, albiet not a seat one. The code just for interest on the fail form was 1.3.2a, just incase anyone else has this.
I have taken the spoiler off and extracted the light ( damn bolts were rusted away in back so had to use alittle force!). Managed to prise off the red cover, extract the clear led cover strip, insert new waterproof led strip off ebay, connect the wires, just have to put it back in with alittle clear sealer and bingo! If it looks ok i will post a pic as would have cost me less than £7!
If not, does nayone know if you can get those blanking plates?!

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
Willie I used the Luke harnesses in my 106 rallye, they were road legal and I wouldn't say they were sub standard but depends what your after really :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.