Cupra to Cupra R car upgrade, is it worth it???

payney24

Hi all, just thought i'd tap the wealth of knowledge on here. I've currently got a 2001 LC, pretty standard. the only mods are LCR alloys and Ebiach lowering springs (this was only done as one was damaged and they were cheaper than oe ones) I've owned it for nearly 5 years now and although i cant fault it i'm begining to think i fancy a change, i dont use it often as the majority of times me and the girlfriend go out we take her car. i've only done 14000mls in 5 years. i work out of town so it's really something for me to have a bit of a blast round in at the weekends. Maybe i've got too used to the car but it doesn't seem as much fun to drive or as quick as it used to. i was thinking about chucking about £1500 to £2000 at it, air filter, 007p, tip, remap, exhaust ect. However after readingup on here, i'd probably achieve about 215bhp ish. Now i think the cars worth about £2000 ish. Do you guys think i'd be better off spending about £4000 to £4500 ish and upgrading to a 52/03/53 LCR??? the running costs would be similar, is there enough difference to warrent the change? i mean, are there £4000 worth better. i know there are the differences, bumpers, brakes, power, interior ect. hope you all understand the point i'm trying to make. are they different enough or would it be pointless??

thanks for reading and any views/ opinions would be welcome

thanks for reading and any views/ opinions would be welcome

It depends on personal preference I guess. I have an 04 LC that I've had since new, and has similar mods to yours, full leather, new suspension and brakes etc and is in great nick with only 70k on it. It's been a labour of love sorting the car and don't want to change it despite the LCR being the perceived 'better' car.

However, if mine was written off for example, with the payout from insurance I would get an LCR no contest...and start again from there. I wouldn't sell mine to trade up, don't see it's worth it for me. so I guess it depends!!! :lol:

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
As much as I love my LCR, I don't think there's enough in it to warrant paying an extra £4000 over the Cupra. I did nearly buy a Cupra myself, but then I saw LCRs for similar money to what I was about to pay for the Cupra (£5k) and picked up mine for just under the £5k mark

dave_ph

:)
Jul 12, 2006
Somerset
www.vagowners.co.uk
also depends if you would modify the LCR - for the same money as modding a normal LC, you would get a considerable amount of extra power, plus its setup better to deal with it.

Theres a thread somewhere with the differences, but off the top of my head the differences between the LCR and LC:

LCR has:
bigger turbo (K04)
twin side mount intercoolers
steerings different
uprated suspension
brembo brakes (which are worth best part of 900quid alone)

Theres more but i cant remember exactly what

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
As much as I love my LCR, I don't think there's enough in it to warrant paying an extra £4000 over the Cupra. I did nearly buy a Cupra myself, but then I saw LCRs for similar money to what I was about to pay for the Cupra (£5k) and picked up mine for just under the £5k mark

I concur...

I considered the same thing myself but to trade mine in and buy a Cupra R in similar condition warrants a minimum of £3k... that's without sorting out anything that needs doing once you've purchased a new car.

Mine is spot and I've put quite a bit of money into it to get it how I want... I also prefer my interior with the electric leathers, etc over the LCR.

So for me at least its not worth the additional expense of trading up.

I'd rather put a grand or so into my existing car to add better suspension, etc but importantly I like how I can park my LC anywhere and not get the attention of scroats!

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Oh, I do like the attention that mine gets. The day I brought it home I parked up and some kids walked by, looked at the car and said to each other "that car is the bitch". I checked with a guy at work who isn't in his 30's (d'oh!) and he told me that's a good thing. I liked it :D

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
A full exhaust and stage 2 remap should see 230-240.
Better brake pads and a rear arb will transform the cars control.

What you`ll end up with is a very hot hatch thats a great car in its own right. Nobody will expect it to be anything special, it wont attract attention like the LCR does.

Going to an LCR is going to give you that new car feeling. Test drive is the only answer. Unless your in love its looks then imo a sorted cupra will be a more fun drive than a stock lcr..... but then you could always start modding the lcr...

Slippery slope isnt it?:)

payney24

I concur...

I considered the same thing myself but to trade mine in and buy a Cupra R in similar condition warrants a minimum of £3k... that's without sorting out anything that needs doing once you've purchased a new car.

Mine is spot and I've put quite a bit of money into it to get it how I want... I also prefer my interior with the electric leathers, etc over the LCR.

So for me at least its not worth the additional expense of trading up.

I'd rather put a grand or so into my existing car to add better suspension, etc but importantly I like how I can park my LC anywhere and not get the attention of scroats!

you raise some good points, i'd definatly miss the electric leather. mines also quite stelthy at the moment as being 2001 model to the untrained eye/ joe nobhead it looks like a standard leon as it's not got the my03 bumpers ect. i really pissed a mk1 focus rs off in manchester when he tried to beat me off the lights on a sweeping lefthander on an entry slip to the M60.

payney24

A full exhaust and stage 2 remap should see 230-240.
Better brake pads and a rear arb will transform the cars control.

What you`ll end up with is a very hot hatch thats a great car in its own right. Nobody will expect it to be anything special, it wont attract attention like the LCR does.

Going to an LCR is going to give you that new car feeling. Test drive is the only answer. Unless your in love its looks then imo a sorted cupra will be a more fun drive than a stock lcr..... but then you could always start modding the lcr...

Slippery slope isnt it?:)

i took a 225 LCR out for a test drive a couple of weeks ago. i could really notice the difference,it seemed much quicker (as it should with 45 more horses) brakes were fantastic even though the discs and pads had seen better days. it just seemed a lot smoother and more precise on the road than mine. the suspension wasn't anyway as harsh as mine (i know mines been lowered and that wont help) the sporty cloth seats seem to hold you in your seat better as well. (my girlfriend definatly seems to get thrown about less too, she did tend to slide from side to side on the leather) i guess it might be the new car feeling you were on about. i wouldn't buy the one i test drove, it was a right dog, you could see it had had a hard life. if i did end up getting a LCR i'd seriously consider a stage 1 remap. that would take it to about the 260 bhp mark i believe. that would be quite a lot more than the 180.

your right it is a slippery slope once you start!

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
you raise some good points, i'd definatly miss the electric leather. mines also quite stelthy at the moment as being 2001 model to the untrained eye/ joe nobhead it looks like a standard leon as it's not got the my03 bumpers ect. i really pissed a mk1 focus rs off in manchester when he tried to beat me off the lights on a sweeping lefthander on an entry slip to the M60.

Yep same here... pre-facelift and I've removed the badges off the back as well with exception of Cupra badge... so to the untrained eye it looks like a standard Leon with alloys... :lol::lol::lol:

Your in the North West then? - I'm North Manchester :p

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
i took a 225 LCR out for a test drive a couple of weeks ago. i could really notice the difference,it seemed much quicker (as it should with 45 more horses) brakes were fantastic even though the discs and pads had seen better days. it just seemed a lot smoother and more precise on the road than mine. the suspension wasn't anyway as harsh as mine (i know mines been lowered and that wont help) the sporty cloth seats seem to hold you in your seat better as well. (my girlfriend definatly seems to get thrown about less too, she did tend to slide from side to side on the leather) i guess it might be the new car feeling you were on about. i wouldn't buy the one i test drove, it was a right dog, you could see it had had a hard life. if i did end up getting a LCR i'd seriously consider a stage 1 remap. that would take it to about the 260 bhp mark i believe. that would be quite a lot more than the 180.

your right it is a slippery slope once you start!

Why not remap the 180 and get a faster car than a standard LCR? ;)

Add decent brake pads and a rear ARB and you have a seriously quick A to B Sleeper...

payney24

Your in the North West then? - I'm North Manchester :p

I'm from sheffield, was in manchester because the girlfriend wanted to drag me round the trafford centre! at least i got to sreiously piss of the rs and have a blast on the way back over the snake pass. :D

payney24

Why not remap the 180 and get a faster car than a standard LCR? ;)

Add decent brake pads and a rear ARB and you have a seriously quick A to B Sleeper...

i did look in to getting it remapped, got quoted £345 for a stage 1 custom code, green cotton filter and 007p all in fitted. was told this would probably take it to 205 to 215 bhp depending on the engine to start with.

payney24

quite a few people keep saying about the rear arb. what difference does this make to the handling as it doesn't seem that bad at the moment. ride just seems harsh, ( quite possibly due to the lowering kit and 18" LCR alloys) it does seem to skip around on the rear end on bumpy roads ect or is this what the arb would sort? i thought they just reduced body roll and improved cornering?:confused:

antzleoncupra

Jun 24, 2009
Billericay
just read this mate, i have been thinking the exact same thing tbh, I have a 2001 LC and been thimking about getting a properly sorted LCR only because im getting rather annoyed that my mates 08 plate Focus ST manages to nip me everytime :(

Inless someone can prove me that the LC with some modding is capable to wipe that look off my mates face then id be more than happy to stick with my LC :) Dont forget, youll pay more insurance for the LCR and doesnt it drink that little bit more juice? I had been looking at the 206 gti 180, grp 17 like the LCR, and i heard theyre quite gd on fuel, and you can get them over the 200hp mark. I do rate the french GTI's a fair bit, as i owned a 106 GTI prior to getting my LC and i must admit, it was quicker than my LC, but that was due to giving it breatheable mods, like 4-2-1 mani, induction kit, decat system etc. 145hp at the fly i believe. Was a great pocket rocket, but cant beat the looks and maturity of the LC and well, the LC also has more potential with a remap etc! :)

Possibilities are endless!

Last edited:

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
quite a few people keep saying about the rear arb. what difference does this make to the handling as it doesn't seem that bad at the moment. ride just seems harsh, ( quite possibly due to the lowering kit and 18" LCR alloys) it does seem to skip around on the rear end on bumpy roads ect or is this what the arb would sort? i thought they just reduced body roll and improved cornering?:confused:

they improve cornering alot and make the car less understeery. It`ll tighten the rear but it depends whats causing the skipping. can only really improve.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I think there is more things to consider with the upgrade. For LCR is a better car and you do get value for money with the upgrade.

- Shorter steering rack
- Better geometry setup
- Bembo breaks
- bigger rear breaks
- Seats are more supportive however they are the same style just different cloth
- 18" Alloy wheels, bigger radius tyre. Can hold big brake setups.
- Better looking body kit
- Nice Steering wheel
- Bigger turbo - Remaps to 260
- bushes are far superior

Looks like you saw all these differences during test drive so I say go for it.

BBoy82

Dan the compressor man...
Oct 25, 2008
East Northants
Dont forget about snobbery!
If your the kind of person that HAS to have the fastest/best/top of the range model (to which i can hold my hands up), then the choice is clear...

BUT, you have to be realistic. Paying 4-5k for a 5 or 6 year old car can be a gamble. My 04 Leon is starting to NEED stuff doing; for example im just about to go and have the OE exhaust off, and patch it back together as im skint.

Theres a lot of LCR's out there, and now is a good time to buy one if you can, but if you do go down this line, make sure you do plenty of research. Not only about the particular model, but assess the seller, ask about the cars history/service records etc. Sorry if im teachin my grandma how to suck eggs!!!:lol:

I know for one, that i couldnt live with myself if i sold a perfectly good LC to buy an LCR and it turned into a nightmare...

Happy motoring,
Dan

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.