DanGB's GTX2867 4WD Mk2 Leon Sport TFSI - New brake setup

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
So, update time.

Its been away/broken since October last year. The turbo broke - not only did the bearings start going, there was also a pretty epic crack in the housing.
So, it was 'upgrade' time. Went for a GTX2867 as per the APR Stage 3+ GTX kit. About the same top end, but noticeably better spool up.

As part of the upgrade, also got a new Carbonio closed air intake, and a new fuel rail pressure senor to let a bit more fuel through.

Gearbox was also 'rebuilt' at AKS, not much needed doing really, just repalacing a few minor cheap bits, more preventative work, whilst it was apart.

Then it went over to VRS Northampton. Needed a new N75 valve, gear linkage cable needed replacing, and most of all, the ESP needed sorting.
Since having the 4WD, the ESP has never worked properly. But after many days of fault finding, it was traced to a dodgy wire, and one of the sensors upside down, and now its perfect"

Still doesnt feel quite as fast as it should, its more 400hp, but should be 450hp with that kit., but thats the next task.

Oh has a minor water leak, and possibly oil leak still lol.

Last edited:

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
John it was at pod yesterday. Could only get a 12.9 again. It just wont launch well and no one has worked out why yet..

Hurdy

Yorkshire - born and bred
Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
What terminal?

12.9 is quite a bit off off what you should be. With a manual I'd expect you to be very low 12's.

Why won't it launch well. What is it doing or not doing?

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Best terminal was 113.

Car doesnt feel that fast, sure its below 400.

Plus my gear changes probably arnt mega either.

However you launch, it really bogs down, so the revs drop so low it has to build up boost again., regardless of how high you rev it on launch. I dont want to slip the clutch too much either.
A few good drivers have tried it also with the same results. Not quite sure why yet.

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
Something amiss then with 113 terminals. You should be over 115mph easy, even with bogging down off the line. Stage 2+ cars are getting close to 113 trap speeds.

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
No terminal loss from 4WD losses?

Had this on the rollers on Monday. Odd results, as it really doesn't feel this fast, but I think its just because its so smooth. With the old turbo and map, I had a shove, but there is no shove here, just very linear power.

rtech430hp.jpg

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Ive gone a new brake setup, as my previous AP 6Pot 330mm was great, but I felt it just got too hot too easily. In terms of braking power I couldnt of asked for more.

So im chaging to setup to help with the heat issue.
Ive gone for some second hand TTRS Calipers, but with an excellent Disk setup consisting of:
Custom Brackets
HEL Brake lnies
AP Racing 362mm fully floating rotors
Custom bells
Pagid RS4-2 Blues

floating.jpg

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
John,

There maybe something in the ECU software stopping it from launching properly. They have an idea and are working on a fix, so looking forward to that. Something to do with clutch protection or something.

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
John,

There maybe something in the ECU software stopping it from launching properly. They have an idea and are working on a fix, so looking forward to that. Something to do with clutch protection or something.

That's good news Dan. Should be getting quick launches soon then. [B)]