Devonmikeyboy passes the 300bhp and 400lb torque level from a 2L diesel.

timbotdi

Oct 18, 2006
Absolutely awesome stuff Mike...

The 6000rpm will be accurate - my lickle 8V runs to 5500rpm!

I'm guessing you're going for the VT7 turbo? Any luck sourcing the new injectors?

Interested to know your answer to this... If you would only consider one mod - Propane or NOS - which would it be?

Oh... and what's your approx 0-60?

Would love to go for a 'quick' drive! ;o)

T

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
How high is that engine revving? Is it really going to 6000rpm? Or is that just something that Interpro has as a default, and isn't used to doing TDIs? :D
Can't wait until Thursday now. 150hp NOS shot eh? It sounds like 100 is the maximum to stick at then. :)

The car revs to 6000rpm with power all the way to the end.

I reckon there isn't enough fuel left to burn at 150bhp shot at the moment, would need some more derv adding by those larger injectors.

My only concern would be reliability, but then you appear to have a larger budget than me :D so impressive figures & looking great :thumbup:

Bigger injectors is what is need so that the fuel can be mapped to the Nos as the car starts to run lean top end if i try to run anything over a 100bhp nozzle. It is very important to me for the car to be realiable as this is my daily drive car not some sort of drag or race car.

Absolutely awesome stuff Mike...

The 6000rpm will be accurate - my lickle 8V runs to 5500rpm!

I'm guessing you're going for the VT7 turbo? Any luck sourcing the new injectors?

Interested to know your answer to this... If you would only consider one mod - Propane or NOS - which would it be?

Oh... and what's your approx 0-60?

Would love to go for a 'quick' drive! ;o)

T

Am i fitting a VT7? I would like to fit one just for the hell of it to see what happens to the bhp and power band but that is not what i hope to have fitted later on. New injectors should have been fitted to the car back in October but keep on not turning up when promised.
Propane or NOS ? Propane deffinately.
0-60 time ? I don`t know really as i tend to be more interested in 20-120mph speed which is more real world driving plus doing 0-60 times tends to brake things which on a new 06 plate Audi A3 quattro whatever brakes costs alot of money to repare unlike an old Mk1 golf etc.
You are quite welcome to come for a quick ride in the car but you haven`t got a chance in driving it mate sorry.

WW_VRS

Dec 22, 2006
Abingdon OXON, UK
www.unit18.co.uk
Very nice :thumbup:

One question, the head on my car was in a particularly evil looking state after only 20k, the engineer sorting it mentioned propane without even being prompted about it. Quite serious damage really. IF you ever get the head off this one, please let me know what it's like :)

I'm still awaiting the return of my car at the moment due to lack of stretch bolt arrival :( - but once it's back I should be at around 220ish bhp on mine, without propane & awaiting Kerma's race PD injectors (20% more flow). Quite confident you'll still be much higher up the range power wise but that engine sounds like a real winner + 4x4 to put it down. Must be awesome to drive :D

AwesomeSarah

Forum Sponsor
Mar 6, 2006
Hi Mike
Nice , I have been listening to what you have been doing to your car and I know you have had a bit of heartache along the way
But in the long run it seems that it is one hell of a good decision you have done

Allards are doing some great stuff there , so well done to them too :clap:

Cant wait for you to get that beast up on our rollers again as I know that you have mentioned it to me , we could possibly charge people to watch?

Sarah

Triple D

i would say maybe sub 10 seconds? but my god mike if your running to 6k thats just crazy, do you rev it that high all the time or not?

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
i would say maybe sub 10 seconds? but my god mike if your running to 6k thats just crazy, do you rev it that high all the time or not?

I will try to go out and time some 20-120mph on Saturday and see what times i get. It will be very basic me driving and a friend with a stop watch looking at my GPS speedo but it should give a ruff idea.
I change gear about 4500rpm but you can rev the hell out of it to 6k if you want to really as the power just doesn`t die until right at the end unlike a 1.9 8v PD engine. It sounds nothing like a diesel when driving hard. I should have taken some video of it on the dyno as it really screams at full revs.

timbotdi

Oct 18, 2006
Am i fitting a VT7? I would like to fit one just for the hell of it to see what happens to the bhp and power band but that is not what i hope to have fitted later on. New injectors should have been fitted to the car back in October but keep on not turning up when promised.
Propane or NOS ? Propane deffinately.
0-60 time ? I don`t know really as i tend to be more interested in 20-120mph speed which is more real world driving plus doing 0-60 times tends to brake things which on a new 06 plate Audi A3 quattro whatever brakes costs alot of money to repare unlike an old Mk1 golf etc.
You are quite welcome to come for a quick ride in the car but you haven`t got a chance in driving it mate sorry.

So what turbo will replace the VT5 in the longrun?

How much was the Propane setup?

Fair doos on the 0-60... I'm just intrigued to see how well the 4WD launches the car, or if 400lb/ft starts to cause traction problems. Having said that, the twin turbo R32s setup by EIP Tuning have 500lb/ft+ running through the same system with little problems.

I didn't expect to get to drive m'self - would just love to feel all that power but with the wonder of 4WD! ;o)

T

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
That was with diesel,propane and NOS.
Diesel propane 278bhp
Diesel,propane 75bhp NOS 310bhp and 391 lb torque
Diesel,propane 100bhp NOS 317bhp and 407 lb torque
Diesel,propane 125hp NOS 309bhp and 388 lb torque
Diesel,propane 150bhp NOS 306bhp and 381 lb torque

Have you tried it without diesel yet :D

Seriously though, hats off to you for being such a pioneer, especially on such a new car. :worship:

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
Thanks Muddyboots :redface: . Going back to Interpro on 3rd February to try out a few ideas and hopefully by then the peak boost will be raised as the car is only running about 2 bar peak and 1.8 constant when the VT5 can peak at 2.6 bar and run 2.2 constant. Also going to a RR day at AwesomeGTi on March 20th plus the car is getting a write up in the February issue of Audi driver. My new goal is 350bhp with this set up and 400bhp is a nice round figure to aim for when/if the new injectors and turbo setup get fitted.

Myles

Jun 22, 2004
Carterton, Oxon
That was with diesel,propane and NOS.
Diesel propane 278bhp
Diesel,propane 75bhp NOS 310bhp and 391 lb torque
Diesel,propane 100bhp NOS 317bhp and 407 lb torque
Diesel,propane 125hp NOS 309bhp and 388 lb torque
Diesel,propane 150bhp NOS 306bhp and 381 lb torque

Spam, Beans, Spam and Spam.
Spam, Eggs and Beans
Spam, Spam, Spam and Eggs
Spam, Chips, Beans, Egg and Spam
Anything without Spam??
Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam
Spam, Spam, Spammity Spam

Shut Up!. Bloody Vikings..........

In all seriousness though, this must be some amazing A3. I will keep an eye out for it on the way down to Plymouth!

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
Do you have uprated pistons to cope with the extra 'kick' they get? It's just coz I had star-shaped patterns in the top of mine (which considering is a tad worrying)

Internals are standard at the moment, priceing up rods and pistons if needed. Hopefully the head gasket and bolts will be the first thing to cause problems if anything. If you where adding too much propane you would have got knock as the propane ignites before the diesel. How did you get it set up and how long was it before you had problems ?

WW_VRS

Dec 22, 2006
Abingdon OXON, UK
www.unit18.co.uk
Removed most of this post - will send info as PM

It was set up by PI Fuel systems and no mappings or settings have been touched by me ;)

I will definitely go to a tuner who has worked with propane/derv combos before next time :)

Last edited:

Triple D

Mike how was the car in the snow? did you leave it at home :lol: or risk it and get to work ok?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.