difference between fr and cupra ?

Major Tom

Jun 6, 2015
Indeed those items, stated by Major Tom, made also for me the deciding difference.

But XDS is not a Lim/Slip (mechenical) Dif. As XDS will only use the brakes to corner.
Also I would say -at least- around 70% of the time the FR will just do, that is strictly my
opinion - but based on my driving habits.

Whattevva :) Can't remember all their shortenings for things... The Cupra (limited slip) diff (brake) (<-- for those that think "diff" is the same as differential) is the ****, anything that uses the brakes to help out is rubbish to me. I forgot to turn off the ESC a couple of laps on track and fried the brake pads [:@]

garybuttle

Oct 27, 2011
Real world.
0to60 time cupra as quick as the fiesta in front.
fr. same as above.
Top speed. Cupra. 70 mpg speed limit
fr same as above
Handling. Fr corners faster Than is safe on todays roads so cupra no different.

Verdict. Cupra more expensive to buy and run but unless you do a lot of track days you will never use its advantages on the road legally.

Madhatter

Jul 4, 2014
Sat on arse
Yes fair points. Both cars have more than enough power for the road. It's not all about power and speed, for me it's the feel of the car and more power can get you out of some sticky situations especially with dim wit drivers on the motorway, especially on slip roads.

Both great cars so enjoy.

Mickle

May 25, 2016
Real world.
0to60 time cupra as quick as the fiesta in front.
fr. same as above.
Top speed. Cupra. 70 mpg speed limit
fr same as above
Handling. Fr corners faster Than is safe on todays roads so cupra no different.

Verdict. Cupra more expensive to buy and run but unless you do a lot of track days you will never use its advantages on the road legally.

Verdict may as well have been get a fiesta too, if you're forever stuck behind them and the FR/Cupra is too dangerous around a corner for you? :confused:

Alex_280

Dec 31, 2015
Verdict may as well have been get a fiesta too, if you're forever stuck behind them and the FR/Cupra is too dangerous around a corner for you? :confused:

Yes, apparently that puts a Fiesta on level pegging with a Ferrari, Lamborghini or McLaren.

Garybuttle, it's not the destination, it's how you get there [B)]

Alex_280

Dec 31, 2015
Exactly the point in the real world makes very little difference except bragging rights

:lol: Now I know you're trolling. What's the point in having anything more than a 1.0 Nissan Micra, what's the point in having a TV bigger than 18" when it shows the same channels as a 70", why go to the beach when there's a swimming pool down the road?

Live life a bit more and enjoy it, those extra horses under the bonnet, as well as the host of extras inside make every commute a joy, even when I'm stuck behind a Fiesta...also overtaking is completely legal up to the speed limit so I can get to 60mph as fast as I please. Long live quick gas guzzling cars that put a massive smile on your face when you overtake bumbling boring people.

McDonald's wouldn't need to buy another potato ever again if they started frying all the chips on some of the FR owners' shoulders in this thread. Note...You're on seatCupra.net :funk:

Last edited:

Love-Cupra

Jul 29, 2016
Netherlands
Contest ??

Indeed we do seem to end up in some kind of p....-contest.

To get safe from A to B one will not need more than the cheapest Mii; correct ?
However I love how my Cupra handles, direct steering/braking the surplus of power and the sense of cornering. There is a group who will their mind economics highly (perhaps only ?), and a much smaller group which will put their ride at number one.
But it has no connection with speed alone, small factor in the complete picture.

In my humble opinion, if a person with some "car feeling" will test drive the FR and Cupra back to back I believe 75% will prefer a 2 years old Cupra over a brand new FR.
Not saying that the FR is a bad car, NOT AT ALL ! Just stating that the Cupra is better, and for me
the much better car of the two. No more - no less.
I respect the FR driver, can only hope the feeling mutual. Not to deepen the contest, I will try to refrain from posting on it again. = If the Cupra is not bashed, that is ++ LOL =

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
:lol: Now I know you're trolling. What's the point in having anything more than a 1.0 Nissan Micra, what's the point in having a TV bigger than 18" when it shows the same channels as a 70", why go to the beach when there's a swimming pool down the road?

Live life a bit more and enjoy it, those extra horses under the bonnet, as well as the host of extras inside make every commute a joy, even when I'm stuck behind a Fiesta...also overtaking is completely legal up to the speed limit so I can get to 60mph as fast as I please. Long live quick gas guzzling cars that put a massive smile on your face when you overtake bumbling boring people.

McDonald's wouldn't need to buy another potato ever again if they started frying all the chips on some of the FR owners' shoulders in this thread. Note...You're on seatCupra.net :funk:

I know right? It's almost as if some FR owners can't admit that the Cupra is just a better car. :whistle:

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
I know right? It's almost as if some FR owners can't admit that the Cupra is just a better car. :whistle:

I had an FR once. A Mk2 211 f/l. Nice car. I was also a virgin once. I'm pretty sure the two were not connected, although my memory isn't what it was. Whatever you drive, enjoy. Now, anyone for popcorn?

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I'm not going to say the Cupra is the only nice Leon, BUT I've had an FR (Diesel to be fair) and after my previous car (MINI Cooper S) it was just a boring family car.
When the family turned up and we realised the boot wasn't big enough, I test drove the Octavia VRS (220 Petrol) and ordered one as it was a nice quick car and made me smile unlike the FR.
As the car wasn't going to arrive on time on a bit of a whim I test drove the Cupra ST.
Honestly it's the only car that's had me grinning like an idiot since the MINI (250+bhp, fully adjustable suspension, Proper LSD, BBK, no rear seats etc).

FR is a great car, fun when pushed to its limit, but I'm grinning like an idiot at 6/10's in the Cupra. Yeah I average 33mpg but I'm smiling even when I'm filling it up.

However from a MINI to an FR, anything with less than 250hp was going to be relatively speaking boring. If I was doing the miles I used to do, then the Diesel FR 184 would be the choice, but I wouldn't be grinning like an idiot on my favourite roads like I do at the moment.

If you're going from a Corsa 1.2, then the FR is going to feel awesome based on what you're used to.

So if you're lucky enough to afford the Cupra and it's MPG, it's the one to go for, no brainer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk