DIY Air Con repair

RichN

Collecting Rings
Jan 29, 2005
Oxford
www.Oxford7s.net
Hi guys,

Can anybody offer any pointers to help me refurbish and repair my air conditioning?

It has a leak and hasn't worked for 2 years, so could be full of all kinds of crap. It takes around 12 hours to leak out all the coolant (not sure where) after a full fill.

1) I plan to replace the compressor with a second hand item - is this easy to remove, and how??

2) Where's the receiver/drier and is it easy to replace?

3) Are there any seals that are prone to leaks I should check first?

When I've renewed the components I was considering taking it along to Kwik-fit to have it vacuumed out and refilled, seems like a cheap way of getting this done.

Anybody got photos that might help? I know the most popular route is to just remove it but that's not the direction I'm going.

Cheers!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
You really need to stuff some dye in and pressurise it with OFN (nitrogen) and see where its leaking from then sort all leaks found, you should always replace any "rubber" O-ring seals when closing up any opened sections. The filter/drier/receiver is at the LHS of the radiator if I remember correctly - its an aluminium cap with a couple of bolted on pipe connections. Remember that these systems do contain lubricating (PAG) oils and so any lost will need to be replaced. Personally, I'd think that a mobile A/C fixer would end up being your cheapest and best bet - backed up by you buying some quality secondhand bits and a new filter/drier/receiver.

Last edited:

RichN

Collecting Rings
Jan 29, 2005
Oxford
www.Oxford7s.net
Thanks - is it safe to unscrew the filter/drier/reciever for replacement with the system pressurised? Mine's got no pressure at the minute but it will help me decide if I can do some parts myself before I call someone with UV dye to help work out where the leak is.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
why you changing the compressor by the way ?

just to note the clutch on the pulley won't engage at all for safety if the pressure switch isn't engaged as there will be no gas/oil in the system to keep the compressor lubricated

as ya man above says - get it refilled but with a dye in it and seal your leaks first and any joints broken ideally will need new seals (purple o-rings) too

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise