DIY Colour Code or the real deal?

MrJohnnyB

Apr 10, 2008
Sudbury, Suffolk
Should i attempt to DIY colour code my bumpstrips etc, I did my alloys about a month or two ago and am well chuffed with the results but was wondering if i should really attempt to do the bumper/bump strips etc. Very tempted because I hate them at the mo. If I do it, should I wait to get the facelift bumper that im after. Also how much would it cost to get professionally done? I know at the end of the day its down to me but im sure plenty of people have experience doing it and it would be appreciated. Ty!

turbin

I wouldent go there. Bumper has a much greater surface area where faults can be seen than some rims. Go with the pros on this one.

mrwookie

Big Daddy...
Mar 22, 2008
Cambs & Herts
Totally down to whether you have the confidence to do it yourself. I was the same before with painting but found you just need to take you time and don't rush it. Worse case scenrio is you have to get the pro's to redo it but if you don't try you'll never know if you can.

In short i'd go for it yourself...:)

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
if you're talking about the rub strips, I'd be tempted to buy new in primer - dont know about yours but mine are textured. You cant spray striaght onto that and it would be awful trying to rub the whole lot smooth.

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
if you're talking about the rub strips, I'd be tempted to buy new in primer - dont know about yours but mine are textured. You cant spray striaght onto that and it would be awful trying to rub the whole lot smooth.

You can spray on to the textured door strips ..i did, use the filler type primer and this helps the texteure issue, i sprayed on the car also as there is a gap around the strip you can slide the news paper down works a treat.:D

Last edited:

andy_h

i would give it a go diy mate, but preperation, time and conditions are the key to a good job, need nice warm dry conditions and plenty of time to do lots or small coats, or they will chip and look shite. and at the end of the day you can always rub them down and try again, or get a bodyshop to do it. might be worth getting a price to have them done befor you spend cash on materials, it all adds up befor you know it, i would guess if you took them all off the car it would be no more than 100 quid at a bodyshop.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise