Engine Cover and Engine Soundproofing

Snoopie

Impossible
Feb 5, 2006
Enfield
Couldn't find a poll option. But I'm toying with the idea of running with the Engine cover off. I know it'll have no effects, but just curious as to who's done it?

And lastly, the engine soundproofing (if thats what its called) which pins to the bonnet. Is it ok to run with that off? I know the Octavia vRS's don't have it as standard, but I'd rather take mine off, but curious as to whether it's a good idea? I'm not worried about more noise from the engine bay. But I wouldn't like the paint to start peeling on the opposite side, or oil splashes hitting it.
Being optimistic, but I'm thinking of all the things that 'could' happen.

Cheers

Nov 28, 2006
I'm pretty sure that the sound proofing also acts as a heat shield and therefore protects the paint on the bonnet. I guess your engine is likely to run a bit hotter due to the stage 2 remap.

Why are you thinking for doing it Snoopie?

dj_hektik

LEON 20VT FR
i dont think the plactic cover does anything for the heat. The 1.8T does not look very nice so I think its for cosmetic reasons only. The padding on the top of the bonnet is fir the heat.

I would say you can remove the engine cover, but I wouldn't remove the padding

Dodson

Extreme Blue
Feb 9, 2005
Redcar
I run with the engine cover off on a MY03 LC its remapped,and there dont seem to be any difference.

I only took mine off cos it was all stained and looked awfull.

Im not sur on the soundproofing bit,i no it was supposed to make a difference on the old R5GTT's but thats acompletely different engine and car :)

Snoopie

Impossible
Feb 5, 2006
Enfield
Slippery slope has caused me thinking about 'this bit coming of that, and that bit coming off here.' But only the subtle parts.
No real reason for it coming off, But I thought that, if the Octavia's use the same engine, Why don't they need a Soundproofing as standard? They don't get one :( ... I'm considering doing it, for no real benefit to be honest, but I don't want to be the first to do it.

Cheers

Last edited:

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
If you had oil splashing the underside of the bonnet, you'd have far bigger problems to worry about than soundproofing.

Run it with or without - up to you. Won't make the slightest difference to how the car operates apart from a lack of sound proofing.

Snoopie

Impossible
Feb 5, 2006
Enfield
LOL... The only thing that worries me, is the heat of the engine bubbling the paint Reg. What do you think?

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
Unless there is a major problem with the paint to start with, it will be fine. Look at the paint at the back of the engine bay that is close to the exhaust manilfold - that doesn't do anything. Don't even worry about it.

Snoopie

Impossible
Feb 5, 2006
Enfield
Weighs a good bit, if you take it off you'll feel the weight, but it isn't great. Amplyfying then engine sounds its more of a better effect I think.

bigjode

Feb 25, 2006
When I had a focus, folks used to take off the padding and there was a mirror kit for the bonnet underside. It was precut self adhesive stuff and it added tot he engine bling that alot of people love so much. And i' m not talking 1.6ers, RS's with big power did it.

Snoopie

Impossible
Feb 5, 2006
Enfield
Well. I took off the Soundproofing last night as well as the Engine cover and drove to work this morning. The 007 Dump Valve from Forge can now be heard from the outside aswell as being very loud inside, and the engine sounds marginally louder. Over all, I'm much happier..

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
do you have a bonnet seal?
someone pointed out to me something that will happen if you run without your engine cover on-you will gradually see more crap built up around your coil packs which will probably make them go faster

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
do you have a bonnet seal?
someone pointed out to me something that will happen if you run without your engine cover on-you will gradually see more crap built up around your coil packs which will probably make them go faster

that was me ;)

Yep - i've run without engine cover, without sound-deadening, and with bonnet seal.

Even with bonnet seal, crap still gets in through the grille etc. So make sure you keep the top bit of the engine clean - don't allow cr*p to build up around coilpacks and the like.

Bonnet seal certainly helps, but doesnt eliminate the problem.

Sound-deadening doesn't seem to make a big difference, and i've ran with it off for a good 5-6months now i think.

Robdon also runs without cover, and without sound-deadening

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
IT WAS PABS, i remember now!
i still havent taken it off though-decided ill do it in summer months and after the blue forge hoses are on

(p.s. getting new wheels this week, our cars are going to be twins-apart from mines black.lol)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise