engine light is on and reads fault code p0116

adzer

Dec 16, 2009
i'm in need of some help plz guys, i have a 2005 ibiza cupra.

engine light is on and reads fault code p0116 - engine coolant tempature sensor (circuit/range)

so i changed the temp sensor, reset the light and it came on a few hours later.

i've just bought the car and garage is waiting for a part for it, its a fan with 2 pipes, one comes from exhaust into the fan then from the fan into the air box.

the pipe from my fan into the airbox is missing as the garge is waiting for replacement part.

would this cause a fault code to come up??

if its not this thats causin the problem i'm guessing it's a wiring fault?

oh and i think the cars been remapped, would this cause any fault to do with this?

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
That car sounds to have a few problems, the silly little fan thing you mention does sound about like a turbo - to be honest, if you have bought a Cupra and you have not worked that out then maybe you should avoid reading codes and just changing things. It is true that a code reader is essential and maybe even helpful to someone that does not know too much about cars, but like any tool, its only as good as the knowledge of the person that is using it. BTW you did check the fault codes again after replacing the engine coolant sensor just to make sure that the same code was being logged?

adzer

Dec 16, 2009
That car sounds to have a few problems, the silly little fan thing you mention does sound about like a turbo - to be honest, if you have bought a Cupra and you have not worked that out then maybe you should avoid reading codes and just changing things. It is true that a code reader is essential and maybe even helpful to someone that does not know too much about cars, but like any tool, its only as good as the knowledge of the person that is using it. BTW you did check the fault codes again after replacing the engine coolant sensor just to make sure that the same code was being logged?

your talking like i'm stupid and dont know what i'm talking about, i've owned 3 scooby's and have rebuilt engines for two of them. i'm simply going by what the garage said to me when i bought the car, anyway they have booked my car in on tuesday to get the repairs done under warrrenty so we'll see how they get on but i'm still not convinced that this fan that sits infront of the engine is causing this fault code.

fault code said temp sensor so i replaced it as they are common faults on these cars.

Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
your talking like i'm stupid and dont know what i'm talking about, i've owned 3 scooby's and have rebuilt engines for two of them. i'm simply going by what the garage said to me when i bought the car, anyway they have booked my car in on tuesday to get the repairs done under warrrenty so we'll see how they get on but i'm still not convinced that this fan that sits infront of the engine is causing this fault code.

fault code said temp sensor so i replaced it as they are common faults on these cars.

Maybe if you could have another go at explaining we might be able to help more but from what you describe it does sound like the turbo intercooler pipe.
Does the temp gauge on the dash act normally? also what colour was the temp sensor you took out and what colour was it replaced with? Black ones are prone to failure and should be replaced with a green one. Check for corrosion on the connector as well

Deleted member 13581

Ive got this fault code just now. Everything on the car works as normal though. Temp guage works and the car heats up.

Waiting on my temp sensor to get to my dealer. Should be there on Monday/Tuesday.

Hopefully this fixes the problem.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland

Whatever, writing posts like you did not know what was what is really your problem - most people here are trying to help and it sounded like you needed help. Try harder next time and you might get the help you need. I've heard plenty stories from people that actually "re-built engnes" - well they were around when that was happening - its the way of the world!

Next time maybe plug the new sensor in before fitting it, and see if the fault can be cleared.

Trouble is, now you need to keep your mouth shut when handing this car back in as the garage will not like you trying to tell them what you have already done while trying to get them to repair it under warranty, I've sorted out many new cars myself, but its only the parts people that end up lecturing me about invalidating the warranty after I hand over the VIN - I just tell them the usual, "a car only last X years or Y miles or Z vists to the workshop!" they don't mind that but the service do!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.