Facelift My09? Rumours or spypics?

Mogster

Apr 2, 2008
Knowing that SEAT were struggling

I didn't think SEAT were doing so badly compared to other car makers.

Its hard to get a good inpression from those shots, I agree with the last poster about the Audi thing at the front.

warren_cox

Back from the dead
I didn't think SEAT were doing so badly compared to other car makers.

Its hard to get a good inpression from those shots, I agree with the last poster about the Audi thing at the front.

In the UK they do better than in other areas. Elsewhere they are struggling, even in their home market. They have been doing deals in Spain this year to get hire car companies to take Leon's (particularly in the tourist areas), but locals are far less interested. Skoda and SEAT do not have the international presence of VW or Audi from the group, so they have to do well in core territories.

Poverty

leonza4.jpg

Tony D

I took my car to the local Seat dealer this morning and spoke to a sales person while I was there.

I asked if there was a new model or facelift coming out this year and she said yes - a facelift is due out in May 2009, but demo models of it could be out up to a couple of months before this.

I mentioned the "Linea R" which she'd never heard of! Seems we know more than the Seat sales people...

I'm pretty sure that's what it's going to be - 3 engine models (2 petrol, 1 diesel), of some of the current MK 2 range, with the Linea R pack chucked on top. e.g. A 170 bhp Diesel FR Linea R. I'm hoping anyway as that's just what I'm after.

Anyone wanting a MK1 FR+ TDi in Platinum Grey, they'll be one for sale around April/May! ;)

Cheers,

Tony.

Maximus2000uk

A couple of months before May puts us in March, and more importantly, the Geneva Motorshow. I therefore would imagine that Seat will launch the facelifted Leon, and the new Ibiza FR in Geneva.

With regards to engines, I pressume Seat will carry over the new engines from Audi, namely the new 2.0 petrol with 206hp.

Lets see!

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
I'd have though the Leon would be getting the newer 170PS diesel too.

As far as I know the Exeo has it.

A Geneva Motorshow launch would make sense.

markgre

It will be new front and rear bumpers + Lights bringing the car more into line with the new Exeo launch.

The interior will see the biggest changes, gone will be the nasty dash layout and improved seating.

Facelift model due in showrooms approx around May/June time.

Did also hear they may be fitting a newer common rail diesel lump and getting rid of the DPF !!

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
Incorrect, the new CRD engines also have the DPF so how does that work?

I can confirm that the CRD does have a DPF, I have the 170PS version in my TT.

From what I've read it does seem to work differently in that it will increase the exhuast temperature itself to clean the filter rather than having to drive x miles at n rpm.

I also seem to remember reading ages ago that all diesel engines will need a DPF to conform with Euro V.

warren_cox

Back from the dead
So the Leon Mk2's will suffer the same as the S3 which was facelifted after just a year in line with the A3 range facelift. I lost £3k in one month when the facelift launched (which was nice). I know you have to expect it these days, but I can't help but feel if they did a proper job first time round they wouldn't have to keep facelifting every 2 minutes to respond to the newest market segment motor that this week comes with LED christmas lights in the headlamp units.

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
So the Leon Mk2's will suffer the same as the S3 which was facelifted after just a year in line with the A3 range facelift. I lost £3k in one month when the facelift launched (which was nice). I know you have to expect it these days, but I can't help but feel if they did a proper job first time round they wouldn't have to keep facelifting every 2 minutes to respond to the newest market segment motor that this week comes with LED christmas lights in the headlamp units.

They will always facelift roughly every 3 years to keep demand for the model fresh.

That also fits into the cycle of people keeping cars. 3 years is the average and if the do a facelift they are more likely to get a repeat sale. Most people wouldn't go out and buy an almost identical car but if it looks a bit different...

warren_cox

Back from the dead
They will always facelift roughly every 3 years to keep demand for the model fresh.

That also fits into the cycle of people keeping cars. 3 years is the average and if the do a facelift they are more likely to get a repeat sale. Most people wouldn't go out and buy an almost identical car but if it looks a bit different...

and then when you go back to trade it in the dealers will say "we'd love to give you a fair price but I'm afraid its now an old model so I'm going to have to knock £4k off, but here is a lovely new one with mascara and fake eyelashes at full price!"

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
and then when you go back to trade it in the dealers will say "we'd love to give you a fair price but I'm afraid its now an old model so I'm going to have to knock £4k off, but here is a lovely new one with mascara and fake eyelashes at full price!"

Too right...

I can remember a Ford dealer ringing me up once when I had the Focus Mk.1 to show me the 'new' model it wasn't even the 2001 facelift version just they had changed the centre console slightly and one or two other minor interior changes.

It always pays to research when the new model is coming out, facelifts are harder to do but complete new models are usually pubilised years in advance.

I got stung on my Astra as I only bought it 2 years before the complete new model came out :(

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
It will be new front and rear bumpers + Lights bringing the car more into line with the new Exeo launch.

The interior will see the biggest changes, gone will be the nasty dash layout and improved seating.

bet you it wont!
interior trim change ie cloth/fabric change, possibly knob/switch changes, possibly new wheels, and possibly grille and lights, although they will still fit the same steelwork. it will only be bolt on cosmetic stuff that is changed.

sounds to me like there is going to be a lot of under whelmed when its finally unveiled.

demonear

Sep 18, 2008
Edinburgh
I can't see the interior changing, which is unfortunate, as in my opinion it's the one part of the leon that does need changed.

totally agree with this comment. The interior is rank! It's a total let down when you get in after the stunning looks of the exterior. It's like :wtf: is that it? Have I ever seen a more boring dust magnet type grey in my life? Probably not! Owners (understandably) end up spending hard earned readies on things like silver imported speedometer dial rings to try & spice things up a bit to a standard that really should already be there. The dull (no other option) pedals situation for a hot hatch these days is a joke as well. Even standard Honda bloody civics get sports pedals I mean come on!! :thumbd:

And the stereo is pretty doo doo as well with no options to make it otherwise! Basically the Leon is fine as long as you're happy to mess around with it yourself & spend much more money afterwards!!

Rant over :whistle:

Last edited:

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Personally I think the interior is great and I don't have any problems with it. It seems better put together than the R's. The dash has everything in the right place and is clear. It includes proper Cupra badging and I love the dark interiors on the top models.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. :p

Scott