Fitting clocks with a rev counter - CLS

LMJ

Previously CEY_CLS :-)
May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
I have a 1995 CLS Ibiza, and I was wondering if it were possible to change the dials (from the standard one with the UGLY clock, to a rev counter dial set. The similar Golf model - with the same engine code (ABD) has a rev counter... so I'd buy one of those ideally. WILL IT WORK? Anyone have any ideas? ;)

Thanks! :rolleyes:

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
to save search bringing up a list of threads saying 'use search'

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=197896&highlight=gti+speedo

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=181338&highlight=gti+speedo

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=139986&highlight=gti+speedo

general concensus so far is they plug straight in but if you get too far apart on the year you will have to manually check he wires for the correct earthing

if you can get an early 95ish gti speedo (orange/black iirc) you shouldnt have many issues

GTV

Veggie powered TDi's
Feb 16, 2008
Cambridgeshire
if you use the golf ones you don't get side light on bulb and fog light on, also alot of golfs did not have low fuel light. Trust me I have gone though alot of clock sets to get my MFA installed :)

LMJ

May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
Wow, I wasn't expecting anything at all on this! thanks guys, this forum has become the most useful thing EVER! Thanks GTV. So you think that I'd be better off getting my hands on GTi clocks? (Ibiza GTi). I don't have the MFA obviously, but how hard is that to install too? I need the wiper stalk too don't I?

LMJ

May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
By the way - I apologise for making this thread. I didn't realise that - well - nearly EVERYTHING comes up in search lol. Sorry about that (Y)

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
Sorry to dig up this thread but its easier than creating a new one.

As above when I had my sidelights on there was no bulb on the clocks saying so. I changed the bulb today and I now get a light on the clocks, but it is also on when my main lights are on.

Is that right?

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
Yep, I've got a light when I have sidelights or headlights on.

CEY_CLS - There's a huge amount of info on here - always worth a search as it can be quicker than asking the question in a new topic!

:)

LMJ

May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
yeah thanks AlpineWhite!, appreciate the response on here too! Very helpful, puts my ol' trusty Haynes manual to shame I must say haha ;). How do I 'narrow my search' down a bit? I search a lot - but it's all a little too vague.

Thanks once again!

LMJ

May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
GOLF Mk3 AEX (Engine code) speedo dial set. (Can't paste the URL in for some reason)

Has 70,400 miles on the clock (ideal - since mine had about that much on it's MOT back in Feb. Came off a 1.4 1996 Golf according to the seller.

WILL IT WORK PEOPLE?

(Hope it does!!) :D

ibiza_fresca

does anyone know if it is possible to fit a rev counter instead of a clock and keep the exact same millage?

other than finding clocks for sale with the exact same millage of course :D

thanks

GTV

Veggie powered TDi's
Feb 16, 2008
Cambridgeshire
does anyone know if it is possible to fit a rev counter instead of a clock and keep the exact same millage?

other than finding clocks for sale with the exact same millage of course :D

thanks

yes it can be done, as I have done it, you have to use the new speedo set and swap the eeprom from your old clocks to the new.

GTV

Veggie powered TDi's
Feb 16, 2008
Cambridgeshire
GOLF Mk3 AEX (Engine code) speedo dial set. (Can't paste the URL in for some reason)

Has 70,400 miles on the clock (ideal - since mine had about that much on it's MOT back in Feb. Came off a 1.4 1996 Golf according to the seller.

WILL IT WORK PEOPLE?

(Hope it does!!) :D

It will work but as said before, you will not have a low fuel light, fog light tell tell, and side lights on light on the dash, also I have found fitting golf clocks you can sometimes get the coolant temp light flashing all of the time also.

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
How do I 'narrow my search' down a bit? I search a lot - but it's all a little too vague.

Thanks once again!

Click 'search'
Click 'advanced search'
On 'search in forums', scroll down and select 'mk2 Ibiza'
And then enter appropriate keywords for what you're trying to find.

That's the way I usually do it. If it gives a couple of pages of results, it's just a case of trawling through them to find the promising ones :)

LMJ

May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
oh maan! Tried a set of Golf clocks in a scrappy today - and yes ha - GTV you were right. the coolant light flashed! ;) ...Any ideas? I want the white GTi ones... will they work? Give me some ideas... I'm trying to modify my interior / cockpit. White IS the colour lol. :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.