Front Shocks, Seat Leon MK1

Deemeek

Feb 25, 2009
Could someone please help me with how to remove a front shock, ive got coilovers and im trying to get the existing shocks out.
ive took off the drop link from the anti roll bar to the control arm and removed the bolt from the strut mount and proceded to hammer the control arm down off the shock and its about 10mm from coming out but it seems that the drive shaft is hitting and wont allow it to go down any further,

am i missing sumthing?#

cheers dee

ryan106

Dec 7, 2006
mmm what is the drive shaft hitting. When I removed the shocks I left the top mount on took of the bolt at the bottom at the rear of the shock and proceeded to hit the large metal section behind the disc with everything I had seemed at bit harsh at the time but appears to be the only way. When hitting it down the drive shaft should move with the hub. once popped out i took the bolts out at the top.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
As above, you need to separate the back of the hub carrier with cold chisle etc and the strutt should just slide out. If you have removed the top bolts this will be a bit more difficult but with spring compressors this is possible.
Try and refit the top mount bolts to hold this inplace.

Deemeek

Feb 25, 2009
i havent disconnected the top mount i have done jus as you's are saying and yes the drive shaft is going down but only so far then its hiting like a cover under neath but this cover holds on the control arm, its hard to explain what it is hitting, il have another go as what i was doing seems right

ucchockey

Mar 9, 2008
lichfield
i did this. had to undo the ball joint at the bottom of the hub to do it. it is a horrible job and i would not recommend doing it to anyone.
wait till you try to get the new one in!!

Deemeek

Feb 25, 2009
lol i thought i was going mad because no one else had this problem thank god for that. not going to fit it myself its in the garage as we speak geting done but they foned me and told me that the top mount bearing collapsed when he was removing it so i had to get new ones for him.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Always a good idea to replace the top mount bushes and bearings anyway. A little more cost but at least you don't have to worry about these for 30,000 miles +

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.