Full link activation

Bevii3

Jun 27, 2018
Hi all, I popped into the local seat where i purchased my car, my car the the option for full link and just says it needs to go to the dealers for acitvation, I asked them how much this activation would cost and was told £200. Is this right? I figured it would be cheaper to do this in the long run rather then pay to update the maps each time.
I got caught out whilst driving back from a weekend away and the nav just thought i was in space as it was all brand new roads. lucky I had my partner in the car to open up google maps on the phone to get me going on the correct roads. Is full link worth paying for? i'll be keeping the car as I bought it outright so not on a 3 year thing. thanks

Reactions: Jon Wright

Dpullen87

Nov 25, 2018
Hi all, I popped into the local seat where i purchased my car, my car the the option for full link and just says it needs to go to the dealers for acitvation, I asked them how much this activation would cost and was told £200. Is this right? I figured it would be cheaper to do this in the long run rather then pay to update the maps each time.
I got caught out whilst driving back from a weekend away and the nav just thought i was in space as it was all brand new roads. lucky I had my partner in the car to open up google maps on the phone to get me going on the correct roads. Is full link worth paying for? i'll be keeping the car as I bought it outright so not on a 3 year thing. thanks

I’m in exactly the same boat, bought my car last week 2016 Leon FR and the full link needs activating. Local Seat dealership also quoted £200!!!

Reactions: Bevii3

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
Android auto is pretty good, mainly for Google Maps but also for Spotify and Whatsapp hands free using voice control. Mirror link is useless.

Full link was already to go when my 2018 FR arrived, was it just for the pre-facelift that it was an extra?

Bevii3

Jun 27, 2018
ok thats good to hear about android auto as my phone is android anyway, I have a 65 plate fr so Im assuming all pre-facelift fr's it didnt come as standard, looks like ill be booking it in to be done, such a let down how much you have to pay for map updates so to pay this one off and use google maps would be so much better

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
Android auto is pretty good, mainly for Google Maps but also for Spotify and Whatsapp hands free using voice control. Mirror link is useless.

Full link was already to go when my 2018 FR arrived, was it just for the pre-facelift that it was an extra?

Do you have any issues using Spotify using Android Auto? I use it with Apple Car Play and it’s really buggy.

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
Mine's a 2016 and it came with Full Link. I've had it 1.5 years and only bothered looking at it yesterday after seeing people using Google Maps with it. Don't understand why it needs to be connected via a USB cable and Bluetooth at the same time.

Took me a few days to work out why it wouldn't work. Having a Samsung S9+, I removed Samsung's 'Car Mode' app and Android Auto. Then let it set itself up again. All works good. I've noticed that it needs the original USB-C cable as a Microsoft USB-C cable kept dropping the connectiion/reconnectiong every 5 secs.

I wanted bang uptodate traffic reports due to one of my journeys having a roundabout that can have queues up to it for 2-3 miles and take ages to get through. Would be nice to know, so I can leave the dual carriageway earlier.

I had a look at Waze on the way home last night and was very impressed, better than Google Maps.

NotificatorZeth

Aug 10, 2018
Estonia
Waze is my choice as well. Plus there is the community working hard to keep maps up to date and all users reporting hazards in real time (such as traffic police).

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
Do you have any issues using Spotify using Android Auto? I use it with Apple Car Play and it’s really buggy.

No problems at all with android, apart from it nagging to 'focus on the road' when my passenger is trying to select a playlist or artist.

Voice commands work really well, if I can just remember the exact album name...

I've had more problems with WhatsApp, where it can't find any contacts to message, then I've had to reinstall Google on the phone before it works again - but this only happens in auto.

Reactions: Maypack

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
Waze is my choice as well. Plus there is the community working hard to keep maps up to date and all users reporting hazards in real time (such as traffic police).

With Waze have you noticed the routing is a bit screwy? I used to use it all the time, but found it was taking me by weird routes, maps seems to be more logical in this.

Also, I've read that maps will use the car's gps but Waze has to use the phone's - which is buried in the dashboard cubby.

Reactions: NotificatorZeth

NotificatorZeth

Aug 10, 2018
Estonia
With Waze have you noticed the routing is a bit screwy? I used to use it all the time, but found it was taking me by weird routes, maps seems to be more logical in this.

Also, I've read that maps will use the car's gps but Waze has to use the phone's - which is buried in the dashboard cubby.
Routing has worked fine for me, but I have experienced GPS signal issues - always put it down to not enough GPS satellites in sight. I was not aware that Maps was able to use the car's GPS, but Googled it just now and that indeed seems to be the case. Seems Waze has not been updated to use this new FusedLocation API, that Google Maps uses. A bit bizarre as Waze is also owned by Google.

Perhaps the routing issue is related to your Waze settings? Under navigation you can set it to either allow motorways, unpaved roads or to avoid difficult junctions (whatever these might be). Might be worth playing with these.

Maypack

Apr 20, 2014
Don't want to start a Android Auto vs Car Play, but having tried both, Android Auto is a better product. And after the latest update, even more.

I’m starting to think you are right. I’ve got an iPhone with Spotify and there’s issues all the time. There’s always updates to both but I’ve seen to sort the problem.

I’m wondering if maybe the issue is with the iPhone. Maybe they want me to use Apple Music and if I did I’m sure the problems would disappear.

Stevan

Apr 8, 2017
Musselburgh
No problems at all with android, apart from it nagging to 'focus on the road' when my passenger is trying to select a playlist or artist.

Voice commands work really well, if I can just remember the exact album name...

I've had more problems with WhatsApp, where it can't find any contacts to message, then I've had to reinstall Google on the phone before it works again - but this only happens in auto.

I think Android Auto was tweaked to allow a passenger to operate using the phone, I've never tested it though

NeilMcK

Dec 31, 2007
Central Scotland
I got the full link activated after I bought it, cost £200, there were a couple of parts added in addition to the activation.

I use carplay.

Totally worth it in my opinion, especially for text message readouts and Waze etc.

Hope that helps folks decide.

Neil.

Maypack

Apr 20, 2014
It appears that Car Play and iPhone has issues not only with Spotify but also Apple Music. Looks like i'm going to be doing some testing with various combinations to see if I can get them to work without any problems .:banghead2

Shaady

Jan 25, 2017
Not sure how but mine came with it already activated, there was no mention at all of me paying for it.

It's totally worth the money to be honest, I dont use any of the nav on the car any more, really only use the headunit for the radio

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW

definitely noticed this and i think the girl on waze talks too much. google maps is much more polite when it comes to your music

Jon Wright

Apr 17, 2020
In same boat, as my fr leon doesn't have sat Nav so thought full link be handy as could use Google maps on phone on full link, though heard my phone huawei p30 pro won't work? Appreciate any advice,

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

MatTheMerciless

Feb 16, 2019
In same boat, as my fr leon doesn't have sat Nav so thought full link be handy as could use Google maps on phone on full link, though heard my phone huawei p30 pro won't work? Appreciate any advice,

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
I think I paid £120 for mine activating. It’s worth every penny. I use Car Play only, but have heard great things about Android Auto.
I have a 2015 ST and it turned out that the USB port didn’t support Full Link. I think it was a low speed port (maybe usb1.1) and they had to swap it for a high speed port (presumably usb 2.0). It was the first time the dealer had encountered that issue so they supplied and fitted the new port free of charge.

Reactions: Jon Wright

bahyr

Jun 26, 2019
Changing the USB port with the new E rev. ( 5Q0 035 726 E) is needed if you are iPhone user. Android Auto and mirrorlink is running and with the old USB port but if you want to use apple Car Play you have to change it. All VAG use the same ports, mine is from Octavia MK3 - second hand.

USB.jpg

Reactions: MatTheMerciless
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.