GUIDE: Fitting Dension Gateway 100 (or other iPod connector)

LeonMunkee

Jan 5, 2008
Reading, Berkshire
Some or all of this information may well be available elsewhere, but I couldn't easily find it when I wanted it and others have been seen to be asking how, so this is...

How to install the Dension Gateway 100 iPod connector (GW) to the standard OEM Leon Mk2 head unit (HU).

(A very similar procedure would apply for other iPod devices)

USUAL DISCLAIMER: I take no responsibility for any damage you may do to your car, your HU your ipod or yourself whilst following the info below. This merely documents what I did.

1. Turn off your HU and remove the keys from the ignition. I also waited until the MFD on the cluster display powered off (30 seconds after keys-out I think) before attempting removal.

2. Cut 4 strips of plastic from an old DVD case, and insert two into the slots underneath the HU display:

Removal1.jpg

and two more (one on each side) just underneath the blanking panels next to the climate controls (or under where the heated seat controls are if you have the winter pack):

Removal2.jpg

3. Push the stips at least 4 inches in (or until they stop), then very carefully work your way around the edge of the HU until it comes free. Mine had a couple of strips of double-sided adhesive behind the fascia as well, so was a little tricky to slide out. Be careful not use anything too sharp which could mark the fascia, HU or dashboard surround.:

Removal3.jpg

You can then remove your plastic strips.

4. Put the gear level into 2nd/4th/6th to move it out of the way and slide the HU out far enough to get to the rear quadlock connector:

Removal4.jpg

You shouldn't need to disconnect the remaining (aerial) cable.

5. Disconnect by pushing down on the clip and the bottom of the connector and pulling out the level.

6. Move the HU clear of the fascia:

Removal5.jpg

7. Connect up the quadlock connector to the car's wiring loom and the other end to the Dension box:

Fitting1.jpg

8. Push the wiring loom up and to the back of the dashboard cavity to move it out of the way, and put the Densin box into the HU cavity:

9. Push or cut out the small rectangular panel inside the glovebox and feed the HU end of the ipod connector through the hole:

12082008321.jpg

It should come out inside the dashboard HU cavity and can be pulled through:

Fitting3.jpg

10. Finally, connect up the Dension box to the ipod cable, and push it down into the left-hand side of the dasboard HU cavity

Fitting2.jpg

11. Slide the HU back into place carefully, after ensuring that it does not catch on the wiring as it slides back in.

12. Connect your ipod into the cradle or cable in the glovebox *before* turning on the HU.

13. Turn on the HU, select the CD/AUX input (the AUX input if you had it will now be disabled). The HU should show 'CDC' and should begin playing your ipod after a short pause.

Any questions...?

Last edited:

LeonMunkee

Jan 5, 2008
Reading, Berkshire
If you have the Bluetooth option, and hence the large MFD...

Go into the menu and check you have a new menu item showing your iPod:

Screen1.jpg

Select this to show the track information.

Screen3.jpg

You can press OK to go back to an ipod-style menu allowing selection of Artists, Playlists, Albums, Genre's etc.

The steering wheel controls, if present, will continue to function as normal, as will the bluetooth phone interaction (the ipod will get paused, like a normal CD does when using the phone).

Last edited:

Rob GTI

Oct 28, 2004
South Wales
Got my unit today and I think its the wrong one

DSC00721.jpg

DSC00726.jpg

:cry:

Leon Munkee's pictures look more like this unit:

http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/DENSION_GW15VC1.html

The part number on the box was correct GW15VC1 but the part number on the back of the dension module was HW V5R5-21.

Suffice to say it dosn't work, well there is sound (very poor quality) the steering wheel buttons don't work and there is no track info on the Multi function screen.

Last edited:

LeonMunkee

Jan 5, 2008
Reading, Berkshire
Got my unit today and I think its the wrong one.
Leon Munkee's pictures look more like this unit:

http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/DENSION_GW15VC1.html

The part number on the box was correct GW15VC1 but the part number on the back of the dension module was HW V5R5-21.

Suffice to say it dosn't work, well there is sound (very poor quality) the steering wheel buttons don't work and there is no track info on the Multi function screen.
Yep, mine is the GW15VC1. I also has that number on the back of the Dension module as well. Also, I didn't have the extra connector behind my stereo that you have (the little blue one). I think that is built into the main quadlock connector block on mine.

Where did you get your Dension box from, and did they actually state it was the GW15VC1 and not the GW15VW1?

This is what I bought: http://www.chameleondirect.com/gw15vc1-gateway-100

Last edited:

Rob GTI

Oct 28, 2004
South Wales
I realised I ordered the wrong part :doh: I ordered GW15V1 not GW15VC1 that C makes all the difference. I have swapped them out now and all works perfect as Leon pics. :)

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
very interested in this device, can i ask are there any let downs with this e.g. with USB only limited to 6 folders etc. are there any limits with the amout of storage e.g. 16/32gb ipods etc. also does the ipod charge and play at the same time so you can perminently leave it in the car or does it charge with the key out aswell? meaning it would drain the battery if left in,

also does the cable / cradle come with this or do you have to pay more, do you get both or do you only get one?

Last edited:

Rob GTI

Oct 28, 2004
South Wales
very interested in this device, can i ask are there any let downs with this e.g. with USB only limited to 6 folders etc. are there any limits with the amout of storage e.g. 16/32gb ipods etc. also does the ipod charge and play at the same time so you can perminently leave it in the car or does it charge with the key out aswell? meaning it would drain the battery if left in,

also does the cable / cradle come with this or do you have to pay more, do you get both or do you only get one?

This device cannot have a USB connected to it either Ipod or 3.5mm audio input. I have the 160GB ipod so there is no limit to storage attached. The unit charges while driving but not when the key is removed.

LeonMunkee

Jan 5, 2008
Reading, Berkshire
One thing I have noticed that is a little irratating with this is if I leave the MFD screen on the 'CDC' option (so the iPod track names are being displayed) and then disconnect the iPod from the car the MFD can sometimes become locked until the head unit is turned off or the iPod is reconnected. Not a huge issue, I'd recommend turning off the head unit *before* disconnecting the iPod to avoid the lock-up.

anthb

Nov 8, 2007
Newcastle upon Tyne
when you insert the strips as far as they can go, does the head unit pop out slightly or is it a best guess?

(sorted)

A trip to halfords for removal keys and some huffing a puffing got the head unit removed to find a "bent part" on the top right clip.

1 installed Gateway 100. On comparing an ipod song to an mp3 song it seems the ipod songs are producing a stronger and louder bass with practically no distortion........

Last edited:

Interceptor

Hi, First post, so be nice :)
I had the GW16VW1 Dension kit fitted prior to taking delivery of the car. I have Bluetooth so I thought I would see the track info on the display, but only get the track number. Has this been incorrectly fitted? Or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for your help.

LeonMunkee

Jan 5, 2008
Reading, Berkshire
Hi, First post, so be nice :)
I had the GW16VW1 Dension kit fitted prior to taking delivery of the car. I have Bluetooth so I thought I would see the track info on the display, but only get the track number. Has this been incorrectly fitted? Or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Welcome to the forums.

It'll have been fitted correctly, it's just that the VW1 model only gives basic functionality. The GW15VC1 is the CAN-BUS version which provides a connection to the MFD in the instrument cluster to display track infomation and provide the iPod menu. AFAIK, Seat only fit the VW1 version.

Longshanks

Apologies if I have missed this but if I dont have bluetooth then I am I right in thinking I will not get any display with regards to tracks?

Shadders

Apr 14, 2009
Sandy
Hi

I've just been looking at your old post about installing the Denison Gateway 100. (Very detailed by the way!)

I've also read that some people have bought this & can't connect to their MFD. (Think they have the non-Cam Bus version).

I made some enquiries today about buying this unit & they said that the CAN-BUS version is not available yet for the MK2 Leon! I asked for a part Ref number but said that there will only be one available for this particular car so part numbers of no use!

Can you shed any light on this? I have standard Mk 2 Leon 2.0 Tdi Sport with Bluetooth.

Any info will help as really want to get this fitted soon.

Thanks

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.