Headlight bulbs keep blowing

steve095

Hi All,

Just after a bit of help. I have a DAB Sport TDI, had it for almost 3 years from new, but its always had a problem with headlight/sidelight bulbs blowing. I usually have to replace the headlight bulbs about 3 times a year. I use top quality bulbs, so don't think thats the problem. Does anyone else suffer the same issues? Does anyone know what may be causing this?

Cheers

Steve

steve095

There's no condensation in the headlights, I was thinking of checking the alternator output, does it have a voltage regulator? If so, is this part of the alternator, or a separate unit that could be faulty? If all else fails, then back to the dealer it goes...

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
There's no condensation in the headlights, I was thinking of checking the alternator output, does it have a voltage regulator? If so, is this part of the alternator, or a separate unit that could be faulty? If all else fails, then back to the dealer it goes...
yes it's part of the alternator can be checked at the battery terminals fast tickover --head lights on- should be approx14.4volts but if it's under warranty I'd take it back first:)

steve095

Ok, thanks for that. I'll give the stealers a call first and see what happens! Thanks for all the replies. :)

Ash_238

Aug 25, 2009
When installing the bulb, no ones fingers are touching the element, as the fine oils off your fingers can heat up on the outside of the bulb & cause the filament to burnout.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
When installing the bulb, no ones fingers are touching the element, as the fine oils off your fingers can heat up on the outside of the bulb & cause the filament to burnout.

Don't completely agree with that logic, the quartz envelope gets very hot, if you handle the bulb with oily or dirty hands, the oil or dirt left on the quartz envelope will burn onto the envelope and reduce the light output. If you manage to cover the complete quartz envelope with any oils, include natural body oils, then it is possible that the bulb will blacken and over heat and cause the filament to burn out - but normally it would only get inefficient. Correct logic though to keep hands off bulbs - fit by covering with a clean rag to prevent getting any oils on the quartz envelope - as this will keep the bulb clean and maximise light output.

To the OP, when you say "high quality" replacement bulbs, do you mean premium brand normal output bulbs or any brand +80% output bulbs? The higher the burning of the filament the shorter the bulb life. Also, you have not mentioned needing to replace the rear and brake light bulbs - they too should be feeling the effects of too high an alternator output.

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise