Headlights Range Control?

Mathew

Hi,

I bought a Mark 2 Leon Cupra yesterday and really really love it, I keep finding reasons to go out driving it! :D My only problem though - it appears there is no way to manually configure the range of the head lights? After reading the manual, I found that the lights are supposed to re-adjust as I accelerate, brake, etc. I quote "Vehicles fitted with gas discharge lamps ('xenon lamps') are equipped with dynamic headlight range control. This means that the headlights will be adjusted to suit the road level of the vehicle and 'nodding movements' when pulling off and braking are automatically compensated for."

I drove in the dark last night and I felt like my lights were pointing at the sky and would be dazzling every other road user. Is there a simple solution or do I need to take this to a garage to get this fixed? One possible solution is that xenon lamps are not as bright and don't generally dazzle road users?

Thanks,

Mat

Jun 5, 2008
Leeds
no way to adjust xenons as mhill said they adjust on startup and you should see them go up and down and side to side to side

eltawater

Full and wholesome member
May 1, 2008
First thing to check, do you definitely have xenon headlamps? You can't miss them, they look like fisheyes :)

Xenons will perform a self-check and auto levelling procedure when you first turn the key and have the lights turned on.

When driving around, the lights will swivel left and right if you fling it round a bend fast enough to illuminate around the corner in the direction you're travelling in.

If you start to climb/descend noticably on the road then the xenons will adjust up/down accordinly to avoid blinding someone coming the other way.

They won't adjust if you brake/accelerate hard unless you're really tipping the front of the car up/down ;)

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
They are a lot brighter than normal halogen lights so maybe it just seems like you have got your high beam on even though you haven't.

Are people going the other way flashing at you?

maybe get them looked at by an MOT tester, it will only take a few mins.

Mathew

I have noticed the range changes as I'm going up hill/down hill and when I first switch the lights on. I was more thinking of when I'm just plodding along flat road they seemed high. Well no body has flashed at me yet so who knows, might just be nothing. I'll have a chat with a mate who works for the RAC.

Thanks for the info.