Help!!! I need to order new ARB tomorrow, but which?

SkimpyWan

Unleash the hounds . . .
Dec 27, 2009
Bournemouth / North London
Hi,

I have been reading threads over the past few weeks and I seem to have the common fault of a squeaking noise when depressing the clutch and going over bumps - I have a '54 plate, 1.9 tdi FR. Which led me to thinking my anti-roll bar bushes (ARB’s) had gone?

After taking the car to King's SEAT in Southampton, they advised me that the both 'front suspension bushes' are broken. I therefore guess that this is the anti-roll bar bushes (ARB's) that everyone seems to be talking about!?

Throughout all of the threads there seems to be talk of either the Cupra, vRS or Powerflex ARB's . Which is the best choice and where is best to buy them from; as I need to order them tomorrow, so that I can get them fitted on Saturday?

Finally, I have read loads of threads on this, but I am getting so confused on the difference between the wishbone bushes, front wishbone rear bushes and ARB’s. :confused:

:help:. . . you are my only hope

Skimpy

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
After taking the car to King's SEAT in Southampton, they advised me that the both 'front suspension bushes' are broken. I therefore guess that this is the anti-roll bar bushes (ARB's) that everyone seems to be talking about!?

Finally, I have read loads of threads on this, but I am getting so confused on the difference between the wishbone bushes, front wishbone rear bushes and ARB’s. :confused:

I would guess that the broken bushes they are talking about are the front wishbone bushes.

The front wishbones have two inner bushes ( front and rear ) - the front wishbone Rear bushes are the ones that everyone replaces with CUPRA bushes.

The front wishbone Front bushes don't usually need replacement but the popular mod is to use the powerflex ones.

Whilst the front end is in bits - it is wise to have the ARB bushes replaced at the same time and the powerflex seem to be a popular option.

SkimpyWan

Unleash the hounds . . .
Dec 27, 2009
Cheers for that.

I have looked into the Powerflex bushes, but they seem to still be recovering from the fire at their premises.

Are the SEAT Cupra bushes any good, or is it advisable to go for the aftermarket units, i.e. Powerflex or their equivalent?

Are the vRS bushes the standard Skoda bushes or again aftermarket options?

Cheers

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Cheers for that.

I have looked into the Powerflex bushes, but they seem to still be recovering from the fire at their premises.

Are the SEAT Cupra bushes any good, or is it advisable to go for the aftermarket units, i.e. Powerflex or their equivalent?

Are the vRS bushes the standard Skoda bushes or again aftermarket options?

Cheers

I would change the front wishbone rear bushes for CUPRA ones

Leave the front wishbone front bushes alone - not normally an issue with them

The ARB bushes need to match the diameter of the ARB fitted and I think the VRS bar is thicker ( you could put a VRS bar and bushes on together if you want )

Have a look on the Awesome GTI website - they keep most bushes & bars in

http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/section.php?xSec=344&xPage=1

SkimpyWan

Unleash the hounds . . .
Dec 27, 2009
Cheers for the info.

I am scratching my head at the moment as I HAVE to order these part tomorrow; so that I can get them fitted on Saturday. Are the ARB's different sizes on different models, year etc?

I would have thought that they were universal!?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
No, there are three different diameters of ARB across the Skoda/VW/Seat versions of this platform, ie "lower powered models ie 1.2 +1.4" "highest powered model" and "the rest inbetween".