Help needed Track rods and top mounts

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
Im having trouble removing the track rod end from the hub, i removed the nut but still not budging from the hub? any suggestions done a search but nothing :(

also im changing the top mount bushes, but im a bit confused, am i missing some thing? :confused:

Got it from gsf (as i wanted it done 2day). They said thats the mounting bearing kit.

Image0088-1.jpg

Oct 31, 2006
Cambs
those top mount bushes look like rear to me, i'm sure the fronts come as ont unit with the bolt holes to mount it to the struts

with the track rod end, i undid the nut left it on the but undone to the end ot the thread then hit it with a hammer to knock it out, the nut stops it flying all the way out, then undo the nut.

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
those top mount bushes look like rear to me, i'm sure the fronts come as ont unit with the bolt holes to mount it to the struts

with the track rod end, i undid the nut left it on the but undone to the end ot the thread then hit it with a hammer to knock it out, the nut stops it flying all the way out, then undo the nut.

Yeh that was i thinking, [:@] bloody annoyed thats what happens when you have a freshy @ d counter. according to vag cat diagram they are the rear ones, so have to retrun them now.

yeh i give that a go, dont like using the hammer much, i taught if i remove the nut on the hub sideit pop out and screw it off the steering rod arm then.

Oct 31, 2006
Cambs
may aswell do rears now you've got them! lol

The hammer is your best friend, you replacing them for new ones?

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
may aswell do rears now you've got them! lol

The hammer is your best friend, you replacing them for new ones?

I may exchange em and do them later when add few parts to it, im jus constrating on the frunt 1st, new arb, drop links, topmounts, track rods, disc and brakes. yes they all new. manged to snap a bolt in old drop link so not a good day.
just to add, with the new top mounts, will my height be affacted? as im just guna compress the coilover spring and replace the top mounts.

Oct 31, 2006
Cambs
height shouldn't be affected as your not adjusting anything, just compressing the spring to get the mount off.

if your puttnig a new track rod on then you could use a ball joint spliter instead, i only did mine the way i said cos didn't want to split the rubber on the ball joint.

Feb 25, 2007
cheshire
i would hit the nut to be fair big chance of knackering the thread,

hub.jpg

Hit the metal part of the hub hard with a hammer, a couple of good hits and the track rod will pop out/up free from the hub, no damge to your thread or nut

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2006
Cambs
Forget what i said about hitting the nut, do it as mikey says! just remebered thats how we done it, it was a long time ago and dark!! :whistle:

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
i would hit the nut to be fair big chance of knackering the thread,

hub.jpg

Hit the metal part of the hub hard with a hammer, a couple of good hits and the track rod will pop out/up free from the hub, no damge to your thread or nut

What thread? not to fusseds about the tie rod if the thread gets damaged as im replacing it with a new one.

Oct 31, 2006
Cambs
he means the thread on the track rod end that bolts to the hub, but like you say your putting a new one on so don't matter to much.

Prebs

Dec 28, 2004
Norway, Bergen
I bought a special tool for this after trying with a hammer for an hour, took me half a minute with the spesialo tool, cheap also! As for the top-mounts you def got the rear ones, the front are 1unit + bearing.x

Prebs

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
I bought a special tool for this after trying with a hammer for an hour, took me half a minute with the spesialo tool, cheap also! As for the top-mounts you def got the rear ones, the front are 1unit + bearing.x

Prebs

will halfrauds sell that special tool? :D

tan159753

Dunno if our still at it but i've had success at putting a jack under the track rod end under the nut/threads and lift up slightly so that it will pop out easier. Then hammering the metal hub as MIkey kc says. While hammering, its a good idea to pretend that you have just caught your girlfriend or wife sleeping with your best mate!

Hammering the nut alone is hard to do because you cant get a good swing at it.

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
Dunno if our still at it but i've had success at putting a jack under the track rod end under the nut/threads and lift up slightly so that it will pop out easier. Then hammering the metal hub as MIkey kc says. While hammering, its a good idea to pretend that you have just caught your girlfriend or wife sleeping with your best mate!

Hammering the nut alone is hard to do because you cant get a good swing at it.

Ive been tryin for the past hour wqith the hammer, bent a spanner in the proccess :cry:. Ended up cough £17 quid for scissor ball joint from halfrauds, abit bang and it poped out in seconds :wtf:

Just to ask, which way do these disk fit on?not sure which goe son the right and left due groove pattern. :blink:

Image0089.jpg

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
Track rods differ

i baught some track rods from gsf, but the lenght seem sorter compare to the old ones around 1-2cm:confused: the do seem to screw on but i want be sure, any suggestion ppl? or shal i return them?

Image0090.jpg

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.