HELP! POP White smoke and bad running engine!

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
white smoke which is a classic blown turbo symptom. Does it chuck it out by the bucket load?

Identified

had a look out for any pipes disconnected, could'nt see anything...... should i go for re-con turbo or new if worst comes. Wheres best place to look for a turbo nowadays.

Confirmed

I'll jack her up tomorrow and look at the turbo and any hoses going into it, but is there any other things to look out for identifying a blown turbo.

Think we're still there.

Remove the pipe that goes from airbox to turbo, and wiggle the compressor wheel, its most likely the compressor wheels that will fail and there will be loads of play or it will be jammed

Looks like it.

Should'nt a turbo failure throw a fault code?

Just to double check.....Brad1 anwers Nope.

Your post was helpful but maybe you felt that there's additional confirmation required for those that are a little slow on the uptake?

Have a good weekend :)

Armitageshanks

Feb 20, 2007
Well got the turbo off and it's a kkk 038 256 016L . Don't shoot me down,as i bought this car as a cat d gamble, almost 4 years now no probs, i've bought a replacement tb on ebay and got it posted all-in for £95. The part number was slightly different ending in 019P, but i've read these are used in Ibizas too. from the pics i saw and chat with seller it was off a 02 Polo with same ATD engine. Only difference i could see was the 2 big hose connections were not at right angles like mine are ,but very close. shouldnt be a prob for hoses i would of thought.

Inside my turbo the vane side next too the exhaust was t ground to bits/ non existant, but spindle is still central no play that side.other side the wheel and spindle are collasped and i cant even move it. Anyway i figured ebay was worth a punt for £95.

majesty78

Oct 6, 2008
Austria
The correct number is 038 253 016L, not 256, but anyway, the 019P is slightly different, it has different turbine and compressor wheel.

So if you have bad luck, the boost mapping will not be perfectly suitable to the turbo and may cause limp mode.

If i where on your place, i would trash the kkk unit anyways and get a Garrett turbo from 130 hp engine and get a good remap.

The Garrett turbos are stronger built than the kkk units.

Regards, Alex

brad1

The correct number is 038 253 016L, not 256, but anyway, the 019P is slightly different, it has different turbine and compressor wheel.

So if you have bad luck, the boost mapping will not be perfectly suitable to the turbo and may cause limp mode.

If i where on your place, i would trash the kkk unit anyways and get a Garrett turbo from 130 hp engine and get a good remap.

The Garrett turbos are stronger built than the kkk units.

Regards, Alex

One thing i do agree with you on there :)

Armitageshanks

Feb 20, 2007
People on here are so 'craaazeee' knowledgeable. thanks for the tip. there is a garett gt17439 going on here but its from a golf m5 pd 130. studying the picture of it i would say it would fit, it was gonna be a second choice as it was going relatively cheap as well. could hedge my bets on two cheap turbos and fit the best one as i'd still be within my original used part budget.
Also as my cars mapped already could the used kkk be ok.

Last edited:

Armitageshanks

Feb 20, 2007
im tempted to buy the garett turbo too, but i dont want to end up doing another remap unless im gonna get bigger injectors. Could i get away with just putting on the garett. What makes the Garett better- is it bearings, thickness of materials/ metals- is it a race proven brand???

Im never gonna boot a car from standstill again... unless im sponsored

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
The garett is just a better quality unit than the kkk, look at the actuator mechanism, you will see what we mean. The garret is a more reliable turbo too, looked after they will last well into the hundred thousand mile mark. Plenty of kkk failures at 60/70k kicking around.
Glynn

Armitageshanks

Feb 20, 2007
ok,

turbos been fitted at a cost of £200 :cry:, .It sounds quite lovely on start up;unfortunately its still belting out white smoke and the mechanic reckons a couple of valves have gone. anyway i've left the motor outside garage whilst i contemplate its future. Any suggestions as to whether its worth throwing money at it.