HELP! POP White smoke and bad running engine!

Armitageshanks

Feb 20, 2007
Help please, guys not sure what i've done ,but i was bootin my ibiza pd100 from standstill ,then there was a muted bang and puff of white smoke from exhaust. engine runnin erractic and white smoke from the exhaust now. smells a bit too of burning. im about quarter mile from home, should i risk drivin it home. hooked up my ebay handheld scanner and could'nt find any codes coming up. Thanks

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Sounds like you popped a boost pipe or you blown the turbo. Have you checked for boost leaks?

Armitageshanks

Feb 20, 2007
OK, if its boost pipe i can pop it back on if i bring a tool with me hopefully, if its blown turbo..well its a trip to garage i guess, would it be ok to drive it home slowly.

brad1

OK, if its boost pipe i can pop it back on if i bring a tool with me hopefully, if its blown turbo..well its a trip to garage i guess, would it be ok to drive it home slowly.

With a blown turbo no, unless you want to suck all the oil out from your engine aswell lol

Armitageshanks

Feb 20, 2007
ok if i go out with a torch ,would the boost pipe be located next to intercooler on drivers side in the m4 ibiza and would i need to jack it up to gain access.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
check the boost pipes first...Whats concerning is the white smoke which is a classic blown turbo symptom. Does it chuck it out by the bucket load?

Armitageshanks

Feb 20, 2007
well went down the road to have a look out for any pipes disconnected, could'nt see anything. So lets say its the turbo, i should not drive it at all ,. could'nt see any any oil in the exhaust or leaking underneath engine,so hopefully thats a good sign. gonna get a tow to a garage.As monies are tight should i go for re-con turbo or new if worst comes. Wheres best place to look for a turbo nowadays.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
well went down the road to have a look out for any pipes disconnected, could'nt see anything. So lets say its the turbo, i should not drive it at all ,. could'nt see any any oil in the exhaust or leaking underneath engine,so hopefully thats a good sign. gonna get a tow to a garage.As monies are tight should i go for re-con turbo or new if worst comes. Wheres best place to look for a turbo nowadays.
Refurb your existing turbo it will be cheaper.

CR Turbos
Turbo Technics
Turbo Dynamics
AET

Are some you could look up.

Armitageshanks

Feb 20, 2007
cars been towed outside my house now! I'll jack her up tomorrow and look at the turbo and any hoses going into it, but is there any other things to look out for identifying a blown turbo.

brad1

cars been towed outside my house now! I'll jack her up tomorrow and look at the turbo and any hoses going into it, but is there any other things to look out for identifying a blown turbo.

Remove the pipe that goes from airbox to turbo, and wiggle the compressor wheel, its most likely the compressor wheels that will fail and there will be loads of play or it will be jammed

Toledo_130

tbf i think you turbo is blown or on its way out...

my friends 100pd golf was in the exact same position as you wil i was drivin(Him beside me).. pop with fragments(bearing etc) flying out the exhaust then slight white smoke followed by masses of white smoke filling the road.. at this stage i was still free wheelin in netral(finding a safe hole in the hedge).. seconds before pulling the car in the the car start reving at this piont starting to run on its on oil..

turned out the bearing had gone and sheared the exhaust side turbine completly off.

wheras my fathers 130 pd blown a intercooler pipe off and was very dead and was throwing out a mass of black smoke..

hope this helps..

Toledo_130

No it doesn't! I think he already knows its going to be expensive!

Hope you get it sorted out as inexpensive and as soon as possible matey.

i never mentioned money..

i simply gave two scenario's with the syptoms of each problem suggested..

o and you post was a great help to the man btw..
do you he is 10 and needs comforted or something??

Armitageshanks

Feb 20, 2007
ok, thanks all, if its the turbo i would like to get one from a scrappy if possible. My cars a on 95k so it likely its turbo. I believe my ibiza pd100 runs garrett vnt15 or a kkk. don't suppose i can use a pd130 turbo could i. would the turbo also have the manifold attached as one whole. unit

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
As stated already by Maz, it may be cheaper to have yours refurbed by someone like Turbo Dynamics.

I believe that a blown turbo can sometimes be the catalyst for a hybrid.

Why not?

Toledo_130

I do not need to repost what was already said several times prior.

Do you believe that re iterating the point yet again was going to help?

And no I do not suppose he's ten years old.

and i did repost?? Brad1 was posting up with things to do and check, not wot the actual symptoms of a blown turbo or boost leaks were.. so yes obviously when i was writing i thought i has helping the fella.

reiterating the point of what?? the man has a problem so he has a problem.. what can be done about..

do you think i he would rather have me post up and try to help find the actual problem or... just say 'aye so ur car isnt goin, hope it doesnt cost you much to fix.' leaving him in the dark still not knowing for definate the problem...

get a grip lad.:cry:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise