HID bulbs and Angel Eyes fitting

Fien

Mar 11, 2010
Chester
Just bought myself a set of H7 HID conversion kit and thought i'd get around to fitting them today. everything was going well until i tried to fit the bulbs which dont fit!! :confused:

from looking on here it now seems that this is a common thing and i'll have to drill the fitting holes. this also sounds like it'd take ages so my half an hour job is now going to take me all day.[:@]

ive tried searching for a guide on how to do this but cant find it. Does any one know where it is or how i do this please?

Cheers

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
My angels eyes are H1 and yes on some you need to make the hole slightly bigger to accept the HID bulbs.
Use a file, i did mine whey they were completely stripped down so no chance of filings staying in the housing.

chris2401

Oct 30, 2009
My angels eyes are H1 and yes on some you need to make the hole slightly bigger to accept the HID bulbs.
Use a file, i did mine whey they were completely stripped down so no chance of filings staying in the housing.

I am going to get Angel lights for my Cupra when I purchase it next year. I never knew you had to make the holes bigger to fit HID's in. :( hmm makes me think twice about getting them now.

You know when you said you filed the holes when you lights were stripped out. Do you mean like before you assembled the lights onto the car when you got them out of the box?

Does the job take a long time and how much bigger to you have to make the holes for the HID's?

Sorry for asking you all these questions mate

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
Some makes of angel eyes need the hole enlarging, some don't.
No i stripped mine down when i sprayed them black (pics in my sig)
Easy to do though when they are new out of the box, just use a small dremmel/file and open up the hole slightly, it's hardly anything offer the HID bulb into the hole and you'll see what needs filing.
No problems, ask away :)

chris2401

Oct 30, 2009
Some makes of angel eyes need the hole enlarging, some don't.
No i stripped mine down when i sprayed them black (pics in my sig)
Easy to do though when they are new out of the box, just use a small dremmel/file and open up the hole slightly, it's hardly anything offer the HID bulb into the hole and you'll see what needs filing.
No problems, ask away :)

Hi Mate

Cheers for the quick responce. I know it's still early days yet but i've been looking at angel eye light sets on ebay and i've seen two types of angel lights. Twin Angel lights

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SEAT-LEON-MK1...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item58863be665

and single angel lights? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SEAT-LEON-BLA...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item5d281f1805

What is the difference? I may sound right stupid now but i thought it was just one type of angel light design mate?

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
Both them sets have the "halo" rings a round each light.
I prefer the look of the "auto art" set out of them two, your choice though.
Phil is selling his on ebay with HIDS already supplied ;)

chris2401

Oct 30, 2009
Both them sets have the "halo" rings a round each light.
I prefer the look of the "auto art" set out of them two, your choice though.
Phil is selling his on ebay with HIDS already supplied ;)

I take it the auto art ones are the ones like wt u have fitted to ur car, with the black fittings inside the light housing instead of the chrome fitting inside?

could u send me the link of phil's add on ebay so i can have a look at them.

Like I said i'm saving up for the cupra at present as i've just finished my first month at my first full-time job so i've got a long way to go but i can't wait to purchase the car. Many thanks for ur help matey :)

you have msn mate?:)

Fien

Mar 11, 2010
Chester
i tried putting the bulbs in but they only seem to go half way so i'm guessing that they dont need to be filled down much. Only problem is that it seems pretty much impossible to do it whilst the headlights are on the car so from looking at it im going to half to remove the headlight unit which involves taking the front bumper off!!

The HID kit i got was with H7 bulbs, what are the difference to the H1 bulbs that i've heard people use. Are these smaller by any chance as it might just be easier to get some new bulbs?

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
Yeah do them before the headlights get put on the car, be a nightmare trying to file them in place i bet.
H1 and H7 are different due to the design.
You should need H1 bulbs with Angel eyes, what does the information say that came with the lights?

Fien

Mar 11, 2010
Chester
Yeah do them before the headlights get put on the car, be a nightmare trying to file them in place i bet.
H1 and H7 are different due to the design.
You should need H1 bulbs with Angel eyes, what does the information say that came with the lights?

think this is where i may have shot myself in the foot! Only bought the car a couple of weeks ago and it had the angel eyes already fitted on them. thought i'd get a set of HIDs so had a look and found out that u needed H7 for the LCR. Didnt realise that the lights were different and require different bulbs!:banghead2

will there be a noticable difference between the 2? dont want to go unecessarily removing the lights and then drilling holes in them if its gonna be a waste of time!

shaggy k

sorry to hijck the thread, just a quick question regarding hids, do most people fit them to the standard headlamps or do they fit them into projectors, just in my last car i had them fitted into projectors.

Fr150

prefer mines. they look awesome with HID 6000k fitted

IMG00048-20100324-1732.jpg

IMG00051-20100326-1442-1.jpg

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
sorry to hijck the thread, just a quick question regarding hids, do most people fit them to the standard headlamps or do they fit them into projectors, just in my last car i had them fitted into projectors.

Standard headlamps, there isn't many using angel eyes on here :)

Fien

Mar 11, 2010
Chester
i've now come to the conclusion that i now need to buy some H1 HID bulbs, will this be as simple as to atach to the ballast which i have already fitted?

Are the full beams a H7 ballast kit? I was thinking it might just be as easy to buy a whole new H1 kit and use the one i have already and go the fulll way.

My other predicament i've got is that i've noticed the glass in the headlight unit infront of the passengers side dipped beam has an imperfection in it and as a result the light pattern on the road is a bit off (and quite annoying). The garage i bought it off put it through an MOT before i got it so it must be legal but i'm not too sure, plus i dont know if i can really stand it looking like that. My option then would to be buy a new set of headlights and go back to the standards. Save me the money it getting a new HID kit but i do love the look of the angel eyes!

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
Yes but i told you you did in post number 2 :p

Chances are you have 35w ballasts, will say on the ballast so just buy 35w H1 bulbs for the hid kit.

My angel eyes take H1 in both.
Can it be polished out try and get a picture up.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members