HID's (but not the normal HID Question)

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
Now, I had an Ibiza 1.9TDI I fitted my HID's to that car and was never quite happy with the height of the beam. Now I have a cupra and the same applys so I'm obviously doing something wrong.

Now, Most people say "My HID's are too bright, Or too high up, or people are flashing me"
Mine is the other way round, The brightest part of the light which should be around steering wheel height is nearly pointing at the ground.
Some of the light is escaping to say... steering wheel height but its not supposed to be like that, So I've got some questions.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Hj5Yppzra0L0FpYW87AgFA?feat=directlink

That arrow points to exactly where the light is projected... is that correct? It seems the light is projected straight upwards and bounces straight off the top part of the reflector lense....
The underside and tip of the bulb are coated in something that I assume is meant to reduce glare however these headlights now have a "grill" type thing over where the tip of the bulb is so I'm sure I dont really need this "Anti Glare bulb now"

Basically the Should the light be projected directly upwards?
I've set my headlights via the switch in the car so their as "High" as they'll go and I've lifted the bonnet and adjust this dial
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/FUP3ty8EAkPQ-NvYOVlQcA?feat=directlink

as high as they'll go, its gone pretty tight to turn. Obviously I dont want to try to hard as I might break something.

Is there any other way of adjusting?
I know the response will be "TAKE IT TO A GARAGE!" but all I'm armed with for the next few days are some screwdrivers and allen keys until I can get to one.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Last edited:

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
your pics dont work. are you turning the right adjuster as one does left to right and one up and down

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
CJ..
I have H7R bulbs like you have, it is normal that you need to adjust them upwards after fitting (opposite of normal H7 Hid`s). Had to take mine up quite a bit.
Most of the light is supposed to reflect off the TOP of the light to keep the beam low, as the light that reflects off the bottom will just go straight up!

To adjust mine I used a wall and set them to the 1% inclination they should be (says this on the top of each headlight).

Last edited:

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
CJ..
I have H7R bulbs like you have, it is normal that you need to adjust them upwards after fitting (oppostie of normal H7 Hid`s). Had to take mine up quite a bit.
Most of the light is supposed to reflect off the TOP of the light to keep the beam low, as the light that reflects off the bottom will just go straight up!

To adjust mine I used a wall and set them to the 1% inclination they should be (says this on the top of each headlight).

Cheers fella, I have H7R (I think their exactly the same)
When you say you adjusted them and it says 1% inclination did you just use the dials I pointed to in the pic?

I heard people mentioning allen keys?!

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
Yeah 6mm allen key iirc.
The adjuster in your pic is the correct one for height.. on mine anyway (had a debate about that recently).

Here are the adjusters:
Headlight.jpg

Last edited:

simonthekane

Ibiza Cupra Sport
Just noticed this, i have fitted h7r hid's to my car but i fitted it with the anti glare at the top of the reflector is that wrong then ??? :shrug: had then all aligned today and the garage said the beam pattern wasn't bad and it would pass an mot, he did raise the beam as it was very low to start with

Last edited:

hillbilly

did u have you cut a hole in the light back plate. if your hid's are anything like mine they will probably be loose with in the holder, as the standard metal clips dont fit around the bulb, i took the covers off and got a 6mm rubber pad so when its all fitted up it pushes the bulb in place,
i would say take it to a garage, and get it on a beam setter once you know there fitted right

hillbilly

just pack it out with some thing then mate, wouldnt recomend chewing gum though! get a piece of sticky foam or something

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members