how lucky am i with the new tax

murtagh_sean

Aug 2, 2007
Eglish, Co. Tyrone
tax was up on 29th feb just passed there and I had the letter saying it was 115 quid for a years tax so went in to pay on the 14th march and the woman goes oh its now up to 120 quid for you now and I said well I'm quoted on the letter 115 so they can't just hike it up after the letter clearly says...well she goes you won't get a tax disk otherwise so she won this fight lol

L3ON 180

Petition signed
I will be forwarding the website to all my mates and if everyone does this to their mates and their work colleges too, then we might be able to get the gov to change the way they think? (Not!)

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales
If the idea is to tax us so heavily it forces us into cheap, small engined 'green' cars, surely that'll cost us a shed load more than the tax itself?

Let's say I can't afford to run my big, dirty, horrible planet destroying filth machine any more and need to sell it due to the ever increasing tax, and the tax on tax, which is then taxed.

Who else could afford to run it? Who would want to buy it? I can't afford to run it any more, but I NEED a car... I'd have no choice but to sell it for peanuts, which is gonna be another kick in the wallet on top of the taxes.

Anyway... speaking of TAX, has anyone else heard the one about colour coded tax discs? It's supposed to make it easier for councils to spot "high polluters" in inner city areas so they can charge more for parking etc!!

Exocet

May 10, 2007
The idea of the government wanting us to move to smaller, greener cars through heavy taxing is something of a myth in my opinion. They know that they can get away with charging the driving public because they will pay the extortionate amounts. We're already taxed so heavily through the petrol we pay, parking and congestion charges, this 'low emission' nonsense is just another way of extracting more money out of us.

Its a cost/benefit thing at the end of the day - the income reduction incurred by the government from drivers who do move to smaller cars will easily be offset by the drivers who'll bite the bullet and pay continue paying the criminally hiked amounts.

caveo

its a good job they dont check my emissions since going big turbo and aving a 3" decat my carbon footprint is like godzilla's lol

herb2578

now a cupra owner
Jul 14, 2007
west mids
The idea of the government wanting us to move to smaller, greener cars through heavy taxing is something of a myth in my opinion. They know that they can get away with charging the driving public because they will pay the extortionate amounts. We're already taxed so heavily through the petrol we pay, parking and congestion charges, this 'low emission' nonsense is just another way of extracting more money out of us.

Its a cost/benefit thing at the end of the day - the income reduction incurred by the government from drivers who do move to smaller cars will easily be offset by the drivers who'll bite the bullet and pay continue paying the criminally hiked amounts.

this is sort of what i was saying in post #31 and i know in the back deep deep back of my mind i could live without my car and share the mrs car but i will pay the price cause i love driving a quick car

Exocet

May 10, 2007
this is sort of what i was saying in post #31 and i know in the back deep deep back of my mind i could live without my car and share the mrs car but i will pay the price cause i love driving a quick car
Yep, you're like many of us who can live without our nice fast cars but will pay more for the pleasure of having one. I was driving a 1.2 Clio for 5 years before I got this car, it's the first truly quick car I've ever owned and I thoroughly enjoy it even though my motoring cost has increased considerably.

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales
How does charging us daft amounts of 'green' tax make our cars any greener? I'd be much happier paying £300 road tax and £1.50 per litre if I knew a percentage of that 'green' tax was actually going towards something 'green' like a carbon offset project or something. But as far as I can see, our tax money isn't being used to any positive effect at all...

caveo

its also great to know this "green tax" is going to make more speed cameras .

stewbie55

No longer a Newbie
Aug 12, 2006
What gets my goat is that this is another Governement headline grabbing policy that just hasn't been thought through.

For example if we all bought "green" cars we'd all pay £0 road tax and the government would have no money to spend on road maintenance (or speed cameras - hmmm there a thought :D). Its just a stupid policy.

The only fair way to tax against pollution is by tax on petrol and we have enough of that already (I'm not advocating putting that up any more). We should be encouraged to use our cars less and not penalised for the ownership of the car in the first place. I could cycle to work in the week and only use my BT LCR at weekends and only do 5k miles a year. So why should I pay more road tax than a company rep in a Focus TDi who does 50k miles a year - who's the biggest polluter?

It's utter nonsense and another example how this governemnt has lost touch with reality.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.