How necessary is a silicon TIP for a Custom Code Stage 1 Map??

Vin-R

Oct 2, 2008
Midlands
Hi Guys,

As the question asks really, Im desperate for a Stage 1 CC Remap but i dont know if i can get hold of a TIP and get it fitted before the maps done.

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Just don't cane the car to 5k until you get a TIP fitted. That's where reportedly the problem is.. Standard pipe collapses around 5k on stage 1 map

Forge motorsport site has a good video showing it

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
loads of ppl running stage 1 map with OEM tip - even if it does collapse it won't kill the car.

Vin-R

Oct 2, 2008
Midlands
Mixed opinions i see lol, ideally id like to do the TIP before the maps done, but THS only have a few left, and theyve taken them off their site, the forge ones too expensive. Theres a few on ebay that are unbranded and are 65quid. Should it matter where the TIPs from? silicon is silicon isnt it???

JamJay

California Bound
I can vouch for THS as well as many other members on here, they're just as good as Forge. Again, as above, the reason for replacing the TIP is due to the TIP collapse which is caused by the higher boost that the turbo is producing. The car will run perfectly fine without replacing it, however it may been a little restrained when higher up in the rev range and on full boost. A silicone TIP will eliminate this.

Dani_b19

Apr 8, 2009
It all depends what engine you have.

I have a audi s3 apy engine and the tip on that was reinforced with metal rings and there was not a chance that would collapse but it did have a massive bottle neck at the base of it where it connected to the turbo.

BASH29

Nov 4, 2009
East Midlands
I would reccomend the autobahn tip

you can buy it from bay.com, not from bay.co.uk

cost £57 delivered from japan, its really good quality, as good as the forge and lot cheaper.

I bought mine after it being recomended on here.

Didnt fancy spending hundred quid on a pipe

sambryant

RoadRunner meep meep
Mar 26, 2009
Bristol
I would reccomend the autobahn tip

you can buy it from bay.com, not from bay.co.uk

cost £57 delivered from japan, its really good quality, as good as the forge and lot cheaper.

I bought mine after it being recomended on here.

Didnt fancy spending hundred quid on a pipe

i second that as i have the same. fantastic quality and a great price :D

im sure this was the place i got mine from http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi...2d5QQitemZ300276167381QQptZRaceQ5fCarQ5fParts

Mandip

Mar 29, 2009
Milton Keynes
Hey vinne long time no speak sorry haven't been in touch mate.

Anyways on to the question about TIPs, I had a chat with the forge guys at GTi International last year. They said its not absolutley necessary for an LCR with Stage 1 map to have a reinforced TIP, but mentioned that it depends on age, mileage etc of the car as the standard ones become softer overtime hence causing them to collapse under high pressure.
They said the way to tell if it's collapsing is if you are in 3rd or 4th gear at 4-5k rpm and all of a sudden it feels like the breaks have been slammed on (feeling of jolting forward) then it's most probable that the TIP is collapsing.

Hope that helps :)

Vin-R

Oct 2, 2008
Midlands
Thanks for ur feedback guys! I managed to get one from THS in the end! Theyve stopped doing them so i emailed them, and luckily they had a couple left in red! Got it for 80quid delivered! Sooo, just got to book it in now!! Custom code here i come!!!

Vin-R

Oct 2, 2008
Midlands
Woohoo! My THS TIP arrived this morning!! In bright RED! My bro in law fitted it for me this afternoon! Remaps booked in for thursday at CC!! Even with just the tip fitted, car seems to come back onto boost quicker on gear change compared to the standard tip, anyone else had this??

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Woohoo! My THS TIP arrived this morning!! In bright RED! My bro in law fitted it for me this afternoon! Remaps booked in for thursday at CC!! Even with just the tip fitted, car seems to come back onto boost quicker on gear change compared to the standard tip, anyone else had this??

That's encouraging - I managed to order the other one, am expecting it to show up tomorrow :) Can you tell me, what clips you used to fit the TIP and what sizes? Did your brother in law have to go underneath the car to fit it at all?

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
You don't need to go under the car. Clips (uncompressed tube sizes): 60mm (at turbo), 35mm (at DV), 15mm (at n75), 15mm (at random other pipe that joins tip), 30mm (at breather return hose) and 90mm (at air filter). *note all sizes based on 5mm wall thickness of silicone.
You will need clips with a range either side of these diameters to allow them to fit over the silicone and then compress it sufficiently.
Hope that helps

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
You don't need to go under the car. Clips (uncompressed tube sizes): 60mm (at turbo), 35mm (at DV), 15mm (at n75), 15mm (at random other pipe that joins tip), 30mm (at breather return hose) and 90mm (at air filter). *note all sizes based on 5mm wall thickness of silicone.
You will need clips with a range either side of these diameters to allow them to fit over the silicone and then compress it sufficiently.
Hope that helps

All jubilee clips you mean? You've got a Forge TIP, I take it the THS one is likely to be as near identical in dimensions as makes no difference?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.