I love my Mk4, do you?!

qwert

Jan 13, 2008
Got myself a Mk5 courtsey car for the day, I have to say, its a bit turd. The inside is cheap and tacky, the radio/climate cont' display looks like those bright red alarm clock displays from the 80's, handbrake feels like it might snap off and it has a rather large arse. I was semi tempted to buy the new diesel FR if and when....but after driving this I'm more than happy with my MK4 FR and remap for many moons to come!

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
i prefer the access in the mk4's...had a mk5 in the Algarve recently and found the B-Pillar kind of gets in the way, especially for the front passenger

I had an Ibiza MK5 courtesy car today as well, to be honest, it was pretty naff.

It wasn't a sporty model obviously, but to be honest, you can usually tell about the car either way, like when I drove the new Leon as a courtesy car, I KNEW it was a nice car! Regardless! But the Ibiza MK5 felt boring, the dash lights are nice, nicer than the MK4 - although not sure about the petrol gauge being digital blocks, I prefer the old fashioned gauge!

The dash vents are nice etc, but the radio part is terrible, did they not learn their lesson from the MK3 all in one type dash!?
Also, pointless bits like the front window having 2 parts... Whats the point in 2 small triangular bits of glass?!

boomhauwer

1.4 TDI Turbomotive :D
Feb 21, 2009
Belgium
the MK5 is too expensive... I made one on the car configurator (1.6 dsg) and came out on 22.000€! that's double the price I payed for my MK4 last year (NEW) and it had similar options so...

and look too the new polo (I know...) also a 1.4 petrol or 1.6cdti : +-21000€

and if it had stunning looks,but again a dissapointment. it looks boring. the MK4 stood out from the rest because of it looks back in 2002.

Nov 6, 2008
Kettering
good I think the new cupra is ugly and big assed why are hatches getting so big, bet it's heavier and slower too then!

the new cupra is apprently lighter, but alot less kit (your have to pay £1200 for the same brakes on a MK4 cupra)), too expensive (starts at £16k) and you have to have that DSG transmission, and slower (by .3 of a second to 60) i think we all have the best beezers

Guffers

Resident Engineer
Apr 18, 2007
The problem with cars now is that they tend to get heavier and safer. Look at the Golf GTi, started out light and nimble, now its slower and twice the weight of the mk1.

If the new Ibiza had a a massively powerful engine, big brakes and looked as pumped up as the old Cupra then yes, but some fancy twincharged thing that will probably be very fragile and produces almost the same power as the last model doesn't cut it.

It just doesn't have the wow factor.

ibizasaremylife

May 19, 2009
kilkenny,ireland
have to say the minute the new ibiza came out i booked a test drive,i thought the car was rubbish!!! too little room and everything,i drive a 1.2 so im not too bothered about the performance side but the car jus felt wrong!! my ibiza seemed faster,handled better and was alot more roomier,have to say though im loving the new leon!

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
every time I go out in my Mk4, when I pull up home agin, I look over at my Mk2 and smile.. the 2 wins hands down every time for the smile factor.. the four is more comfortable, yes.. but the 2 is much more than just a machine....
:D

ibizasaremylife

May 19, 2009
kilkenny,ireland
cheers anyways ha,ha mk2 thats the 95 year model,yeah i had one of them,went to mod it den found out the front end had been previously hit and that the chassis was kinked,i was delighted!! NOT

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members